The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OMG!

Rawfa

Quick question, the camera is water resistant and the kit lens is too...but if I use it with another micro 4/3 lens will this compromise the water resistance? I mean, I have no idea if the it´s the way the 12-50mm attaches to the E-M5 that keeps water from getting in.

pophoto

I think it is weather sealed over being "water resistant", but yes, if you use a non sealed lenses, you might have trouble. Although, a lot of people have been shooting non-weather sealed cameras and lenses in the rain and snow. I think it's where you will be shooting, weather-wise and how you decided to safeguard it!

If you're chasing storms, I wouldn't recommend it despite it being weather-sealed. However, I will happily shoot a non-sealed camera under an umbrella, in a car with open window under heavy rain!

So ultimately I think having weather sealed camera, means if you're shooting on the streets and you get splashed with water of shooting in lighter rain, your camera will not likely to suffer without protection. I wouldn't submerge your camera and lens.

V

Vivek

It is not just the where the lens mounts but the whole lens (most m4/3rds lenses have more electronics than glass) has to be weather sealed everywhere.

So, yes, it will get compromised.

Jonas

Quick question, the camera is water resistant and the kit lens is too (...) the way the 12-50mm attaches to the E-M5 that keeps water from getting in.
One of the signs of a lens being weather sealed often is the rubber gasket at the lens mount supposed to prevent water, moisture, dust from creeping into the camera at the mount plate.

Logically Olympus now also introduces a new AF adapter intended for the use of weather sealed 4/3 lenses with the weather sealed micro 4/3 camera.

However - I have never got a sealed, or partly sealed like a 5DMkII, camera destroyed by water flooding the mirror house. In fact, I haven't seen any clear signs of water slipping into the camera at all at the mount plate when having used lenses without gasket(s).

That doesn't mean that part of the sealing is marketing only. If out for hours in heavy rain it probably comes to use.

I'm not worried about using old mechanical lenses, using non-sealed adapters, with my future E-M5.

well, that's my 2 cents,

(EDIT: Do I type very slowly or what? ;) )