Site Sponsors

Thread: Reflex for m4/3... cool!

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Reflex for m4/3... cool!

This is from Tokina (Google translated from Japanese):

300mm: focal length (equivalent to version 35mm: equivalent to 600mm)
    (Fixed for reflex type) F6.3: brightness
    66mm: length lens
    66mm: the maximum diameter
    55mm: diameter filter
    Less than 300g: Weight
    Manual focus
    Remarks: Equipped with distance encoder, can communicate with the body. (Exif, lens information, etc.)
    Minimum focusing distance 0.8m. Macro of 1:2 can be taken.

Link:
    CP+??????Tokina??????????????01 | ???? | ????

Translated link:
    http://translate.google.co.th/transl...r.html&act=url

I have the OM Zuiko 500mm f/8, so shouldn't be interested. Still, this one is smaller, lighter and has a larger aperture in addition to communicating with the body. For my OM-D?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reflex for m4/3... cool!

Yeah, it caught my eye. It will be interesting to see the IQ as mirror lenses usually fare poorly on contrast. Also, it can't be too pricey or it will run into the price range of the Panny 100-300 which has built in AF and OIS.

On the plus side, 300mm for less than 300 grams weight, yeah, I could see that with the OM-D, definitely.

Doug

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Contrast- you nailed it, Doug!

I have a tiny 20cm f/6.3 mirror lens (made by Siemens) in c-mount. It even has an adjustable diaphram.

Very low contrast.

The Tokina does look cute. With its hood it will be at least double the size.

Post Thanks / Like

I can see the weight advantage but the 100-300 is a very small package when you compare it to any other comparable lens and it offers f5.6 at the long end versus f6.3. And, incidentally, it ain't a bad performer, either :-)

Maybe I am missing something but I can't get too worked up about this. If it was a tad longer, say 400mm then, maybe.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    If it was a tad longer, say 400mm then, maybe.
    Well, this 400/8 was just announced as well

Kenko 400mm f/8 Mirror Lens | PhotographyBLOG

About the 300. It is really small and cute for sure.

What I wonder about, with my experience with (good) reflectors, is that it is not likely to be any better than a 200mm cropped to the same FoV as the 300mm mirror. So if you've got say the 45-200 or 45-175 already in your bag this might not really help you.

If it is a junky reflector (and too many are) then heck the cropped long end of the 14-140 might even compete!

Regardless, I'm happy to see a niche design for m43. I've seen more than a few people wonder when we'd see a tiny mirror in this focal range for m43...

Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree on the low contrast, but I live under the tropical sun, so that's not really a problem. With regards to sharpness, the Nikkor 500mm Reflex that I had rendered more detail than the 300mm with a 1.4x TC. I sold the Nikkor after I bought the Zuiko though, since the latter is sharper, smaller and lighter. I find it particularly useful for video.

My guess is that the Tokina will end up somewhere around $3-400.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have an old 300/5.6 mirror that I got second hand in 1982 or thereabouts, could certainly see the attraction with this Tokina lens - it's tiny! Let's just hope image quality on mirrors has improved since the seventies hehe.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed on all counts. It is interesting just because .

But, for it to sell, it has to be sharp, contrasty, and considerably cheaper than the 100-300. That's a pretty tall order for a mirror lens.

But who knows, maybe it will be a surprise gem. Maybe there have been some advancements in mirror lenses that we are collectively unaware of

Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I doubt that they have improved much, but for special applications, they work rather well even now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My interest level is rather low. I've had and used a number of reflex lenses, and even the best fare badly in comparison to modern lenses that include ED or similar anomalous dispersion elements. Yes, colour errors are low compared to old, non-ED telephotos but the poor contrast usually kills them.

Also, if the lens is f/6.3, it's likely to be t/9 or 10.

The Panasonic 100-300 and even the 45-200 is so good that any mirror lens will have a hard time convincing. With old tells, where a 500/8 was a huge stovepipe, a 500/8 mirror looked attractive, even if it was only t/11, but with the good, small zooms available it's a different story.

Henning