The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Reflex for m4/3... cool!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This is from Tokina (Google translated from Japanese):

300mm: focal length (equivalent to version 35mm: equivalent to 600mm)
(Fixed for reflex type) F6.3: brightness
66mm: length lens
66mm: the maximum diameter
55mm: diameter filter
Less than 300g: Weight
Manual focus
Remarks: Equipped with distance encoder, can communicate with the body. (Exif, lens information, etc.)
Minimum focusing distance 0.8m. Macro of 1:2 can be taken.

Link:
CP+??????Tokina??????????????01 | ???? | ????

Translated link:
http://translate.google.co.th/trans...amera-lenses/news/cp-tokina-300r.html&act=url

I have the OM Zuiko 500mm f/8, so shouldn't be interested. Still, this one is smaller, lighter and has a larger aperture in addition to communicating with the body. For my OM-D?

greypilgrim

Yeah, it caught my eye. It will be interesting to see the IQ as mirror lenses usually fare poorly on contrast. Also, it can't be too pricey or it will run into the price range of the Panny 100-300 which has built in AF and OIS.

On the plus side, 300mm for less than 300 grams weight, yeah, I could see that with the OM-D, definitely.

Doug

V

Vivek

Contrast- you nailed it, Doug! :)

I have a tiny 20cm f/6.3 mirror lens (made by Siemens) in c-mount. It even has an adjustable diaphram.

Very low contrast.

The Tokina does look cute. With its hood it will be at least double the size.

biglouis

I can see the weight advantage but the 100-300 is a very small package when you compare it to any other comparable lens and it offers f5.6 at the long end versus f6.3. And, incidentally, it ain't a bad performer, either :)

Maybe I am missing something but I can't get too worked up about this. If it was a tad longer, say 400mm then, maybe.

LouisB

kwalsh

If it was a tad longer, say 400mm then, maybe.
Well, this 400/8 was just announced as well :)

Kenko 400mm f/8 Mirror Lens | PhotographyBLOG

About the 300. It is really small and cute for sure.

What I wonder about, with my experience with (good) reflectors, is that it is not likely to be any better than a 200mm cropped to the same FoV as the 300mm mirror. So if you've got say the 45-200 or 45-175 already in your bag this might not really help you.

If it is a junky reflector (and too many are) then heck the cropped long end of the 14-140 might even compete!

Regardless, I'm happy to see a niche design for m43. I've seen more than a few people wonder when we'd see a tiny mirror in this focal range for m43...

Ken

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I agree on the low contrast, but I live under the tropical sun, so that's not really a problem. With regards to sharpness, the Nikkor 500mm Reflex that I had rendered more detail than the 300mm with a 1.4x TC. I sold the Nikkor after I bought the Zuiko though, since the latter is sharper, smaller and lighter. I find it particularly useful for video.

My guess is that the Tokina will end up somewhere around $3-400.

Lars

I have an old 300/5.6 mirror that I got second hand in 1982 or thereabouts, could certainly see the attraction with this Tokina lens - it's tiny! Let's just hope image quality on mirrors has improved since the seventies hehe.

greypilgrim

Agreed on all counts. It is interesting just because :D.

But, for it to sell, it has to be sharp, contrasty, and considerably cheaper than the 100-300. That's a pretty tall order for a mirror lens.

But who knows, maybe it will be a surprise gem. Maybe there have been some advancements in mirror lenses that we are collectively unaware of :rolleyes:

Doug

henningw

My interest level is rather low. I've had and used a number of reflex lenses, and even the best fare badly in comparison to modern lenses that include ED or similar anomalous dispersion elements. Yes, colour errors are low compared to old, non-ED telephotos but the poor contrast usually kills them.

Also, if the lens is f/6.3, it's likely to be t/9 or 10.

The Panasonic 100-300 and even the 45-200 is so good that any mirror lens will have a hard time convincing. With old tells, where a 500/8 was a huge stovepipe, a 500/8 mirror looked attractive, even if it was only t/11, but with the good, small zooms available it's a different story.

Henning