Thread: Olympus OM-D discussion

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Olympus OM-D discussion

Some sample shots from the OM-D 20 1.7 Panny

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

@cjlacz

Could you post a Back-To Back photo of your OM4 and OMD... I am curious on how close they are in size by Direct Comparison, instead reading dimensions.

I can't wait till B&H starts shipping, I just pre-odered on the 3rd of April, I hope I can get mine in their 1st Shipment out.

BTW, Great samples so far.... all who posted E-M5 images

frelwa

[QUOTE=M5-Guy;405153]@cjlacz

Could you post a Back-To Back photo of your OM4 and OMD... I am curious on how close they are in size by Direct Comparison, instead reading dimensions.

Go back 1 page and 5 days. The comparison photo you want was already posted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=frelwa;405357]
    Quote Originally Posted by M5-Guy View Post
    @cjlacz

Go back 1 page and 5 days. The comparison photo you want was already posted.
    Not a "Back-to-Back" image. just an E-M5 sitting a few inches away from a OM2... I was more interested in "Back-touching-Back image", and being a overhead shot.

Sorry for the confusion.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Seems too quiet on the OMD front.

Post Thanks / Like

getting a little messy at DPR isnt it

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like realistic discussions between rational people. There are some over there but the then the zealots join in and muck up the works.

Post Thanks / Like

in a day or two nobody will remember how many pictures are on flickr, but they will remember where the EM5 sensor is positioned in the scheme of things.

Don't sweat the small stuff..

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    getting a little messy at DPR isnt it
    It's always messy at DPR.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Seems too quiet on the OMD front.
    After having preorders for silver (Adorma) and black (Amazon), I decided to hit my local shop. Lo and behold, an unclaimed black 12-50 kit came in that very morning. Have been messing with it the last two days. A few random thoughts:

Heavier than you'd think - very solid camera. Buttons are small but workable for me. The evf, while technically not as good as the one with my 5N (now sold), works very well. AF response is *very* fast and accurate. Beats the Sony by a mile. The 12-50 lens is longer and heavier than I'd like in a perfect world, but it is weatherproof and gives good images. It also has some nice tricks up its sleeve, like either regular zoom function or a video-cam style mode. It also has a macro mode that seems well behaved.

As for iq - well, no hiding place from physics. It isn't APS-C sized. I also have not shot raw yet so I'm judging in-camera jpgs (so sue me - I'm lazy). There are a bunch of menu settings so it can be tweaked. The art filters are fun but...they're art filters so mostly a novelty to me. Handling is a bit better than the 5N to me and the touch screen focus/shutter feature is really fast and slick if you want to shoot that way.

I'm finding that iso 6400 images are perfectly usable for my needs and even higher is ok as long as I'm not trying to crop or pixel peep. They have upped the bar from my long-gone EP1, but I did always like the "noise" on that camera.

The 45/1.8 is a great lens. Reminds me of Pentax ltd primes. I have a Panny 14/2.5 coming and wondering about the Panny 25/1.4 (if it ever comes in stock again). I also think I want to add the grip, at least half of it. That will push it more towards dSLR size, but still will be smaller than say a K5, and certainly is much smaller than my a77.

6400 shot my s/o took at my gig last night along with a crop (no, that's not me )

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all the real world examples posted, it pushed me to order an OM-D today, goodbye E3 and Panasonic G1 (but keeping all the lenses!).

Steve

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Like a previous poster, I am going to swap to the OM-D from the NEX-7. Don't get me wrong, the NEX-7 is a wonderful camera, but I am keen to shoot some lowlight with the CV 17mm & 25mm (eventually) and I can't really get myself to like the body style of the NEX-7. Just waiting to hear back from Monza.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

frelwa

Exclamation New PCMag review: new Editors' Choice

"The Olympus OM-D E-M5 is the best Micro Four Thirds camera we've tested. It's got a top-notch stabilization system, is fully weather sealed, can shoot in all types of light, and ships with a sharp and versatile kit lens. Add it all up, and you have our new Editors' Choice for high-end compact interchangeable lens cameras."

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well my black OM-D kit + grip is on its way in a day or so and my NEX-7 kit will be mailed out tomorrow. Can't wait to put this baby through its paces. Now I have to save up for a CV 25mm f/.95!
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered the Panaleica 25/1.4. The Oly 45/1.8 rocks.

Post Thanks / Like

They are now shipping the OM-D in the UK, with a free two part grip offer, I get mine on Monday, so, no work on Monday and maybe no work on Tuesday either....

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, you can "work" all Monday learning the Menu system and set the camera up. I'm jealous of that free grip as I had to pay quite a lot for it here in Sweden. Well spent money though, the "horizontal" grip part changed the camera from something barely possible to hold into something fitting may hands way better.

Who ever works May 1 anyway?

Congratulations!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    They are now shipping the OM-D in the UK, with a free two part grip offer, I get mine on Monday, so, no work on Monday and maybe no work on Tuesday either....

Steve
    Lucky you in the UK and IRL. Pre-ordered the EM-5, you're entitled to have the grip for free.
    Looking at my G3 I consider the grip essential, especially with long and/or heavy lenses.
    We 'continental suckers' have to pay 250 euro for this grip ...

Anyway, happy shooting Steve !
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    Who ever works May 1 anyway?
    I do ...
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    I do ...
    So Do I
    Are you getting an OMD Bart?

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    So Do I
    Nah - I'll wait a bit then I'll buy yours and have the grip for free, too ...

Bart ...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So Do I
    May 1st is like any other day for me as long as it's not the weekend.

As for the OM-D, I am eagerly awaiting the shipping notice from Monza.

Post Thanks / Like

Another interesting GetDPI thread here.

Naturally, as an unreconstructed gear head, I have been looking at the reports of the new OMD, too.

Pluses I see: can take the Panny 20/1.7, the Panny 25/1.4, the Oly 12/2 and the Oly 45/1.8. The three lenses (the wide and the short tele, and one of the normals) will do everything I want.

Form factor seems great

Minuses: the smaller sensor (compared to APS-C, and FF) means that the Oly 12 is pretty much as wide as we can go, without going fish (please correct me here if this is not the case)

I am using a GXR-M only for the CV 12/5.6, and it works very well. I am using a NEX-7 with MS Perar for the go-everywhere camera (but really want Sony to come out with a firmware update for 1:1; I note that the Oly has this). That's a big plus; the GXR has this too. I find the focus assists a little easier to use on the NEX than the GXR, so have been using the CV 50/1.7 ASPH on it with good results. I have my eye on the Sony 50/1.8 for portraits, though (AF).

I have the Sigma 30/2.8 which will go on the NEX soon; I want to compare its use vs. the Perar (and I will be mentally comparing with the Panny 20/1.7 which I liked the rendering of very much).

So, because I can't find a UWA that works on the NEX-7, I have to keep the GXR in the stable. As well, I can't use from above easily on tripod without using eyeglasses (for the fold-out LCD); the GXR is a delight with its tilting finder, which has adjustable diopter (as an aside, this is the biggest drawback for the XPro-1, for me: no tilt EVF or fold-out LCD, if we are talking 'one body for everything). The Oly allows the use of the VF-2 and 3 for this purpose, but has no real UWAs...

My conclusion is that we're not there yet (the one-camera body solution). I love the look of the OMD, but the sensor size and the no-UWAs is a killer for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Panasonic 7-14mm zoom is quite remarkable.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    I think the Panasonic 7-14mm zoom is quite remarkable.
    +1 If you haven't tried it, Kit, you really, really should. It's addictive.

Post Thanks / Like

7-14 is an amazing zoom. Sits among one of the best UWA zooms in any format.

It you insist on being a "prime guy" the Rokinon/Samyang 7.5 fisheye is amazingly sharp, so much so that it "de-fishes" extremely well.

But yes, if you are looking for something like the equivalent of a Zeiss 21 on FF for the m43 format you won't find it here - or probably on any mirrorless format for a long time!

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    +1 If you haven't tried it, Kit, you really, really should. It's addictive.
    A third vote for the 7-14. Firstly, it is a very well made lens. Possibly the best Panny lens as far as construction. It is also remarkably small for what it is (compared say to the Nikon 7-14).

As with all UWAs you need to view it as a lens you can't really exploit without the power of the distortion correction tools in LR or CS. I also find it a tad soft at 7 but if you fill the frame then this is outweighed by the incredible effects you can get.

Mind you, I wouldn't mind a 12mm as well just for the extra stops and the fact that in terms of raw IQ I think it is a better lens.

Some of my best 7-14 shots are in the 'fun with' thread in this section of the forum.

Just my two cents

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have you tried the 4/3s 7-14mm? I have been told it is the best but it is much larger

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am looking at the 4/3 Olympus 35-100 f/2 zoom. From what I've read, it is super-fast, super-sharp, and has nice bokeh. I have requested a review sample. Hopefully it will pair well with the OM-D.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    As with all UWAs you need to view it as a lens you can't really exploit without the power of the distortion correction tools in LR or CS. I also find it a tad soft at 7 but if you fill the frame then this is outweighed by the incredible effects you can get.
    It's not soft at 7mm. It's the automatic distortion correction that can cause it to look a bit soft in spots. I've looked at the same files in DXO Optics Pro without distortion correction and they're tack sharp. DXO Optics Pro also lets you easily dial in the amount of distortion correction you want/need on an image by image basis.

The 7-14mm is a great lens. As for fisheyes, the Panasonic 8mm is nicer than the Rokinon/Samyang, as nice as the Rockinon/Samyang is. The Panasonic fisheye has much better color, IMHO, and is even a tad sharper.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    I am looking at the 4/3 Olympus 35-100 f/2 zoom. From what I've read, it is super-fast, super-sharp, and has nice bokeh. I have requested a review sample. Hopefully it will pair well with the OM-D.
    This is a very good lens, but you will be disappointed with AF speed. If Af speed is not an issue, it will be a great lens for you!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm. AF speed is an issue when shooting ballet. I'll have to give it a whirl and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Has anybody here tried the OM-D for sports using continuous autofocus? What kind of frame rates are you getting? Happy?
    Brad Husick

Post Thanks / Like

I had the nex-5n, had an nex-7 on order forever and finally cancelled. I have the OMD now, sold the 5n. I wouldn't hold my breath for a firmware update from Sony - depending on what you want them to fix. I think you're fighting physics with some lenses there.

Frankly nothing I really am crying for in a firmware update with the OMD. I sometimes miss focus peaking but truth be told the AF on the OMD is very fast and very accurate. Significantly better than the 5n. The only other thing I wish it did was pull focus during video from the touchscreen (Pannys do this). For stills though, the touchscreen is highly addictive. Since the AF is so fast, it becomes highly usable if you want to shoot that way (my g/f favors AF/shutter release).

The 45/1.8 is awesome but I just got the 25/1.4 and I think that might be my fav.

Post Thanks / Like

Surely you would like Olympus to fix the firmware bugs at least?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Hmmm. AF speed is an issue when shooting ballet. I'll have to give it a whirl and see what happens.
    Having shot dance I must say that zone focus is the way to go. Dancers hit their marks with great predictability.
    Listen to my new album "The Drones" free on BandCamp. Visit my Flickr images, website, or blog. Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    Surely you would like Olympus to fix the firmware bugs at least?
    I haven't noticed any. Then again, I have avoided DPR forums so maybe there are ones that I don't know about (and really don't matter)
    new album | nostatic | music
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    I haven't noticed any. Then again, I have avoided DPR forums so maybe there are ones that I don't know about (and really don't matter)
    Hmm, you are lucky then!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rparmar View Post
    Having shot dance I must say that zone focus is the way to go. Dancers hit their marks with great predictability.
    True, once my camera acquires focus the deviations are very slight and i tend to shoot at f/4 to compensate for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    After having preorders for silver (Adorma) and black

The 45/1.8 is a great lens. Reminds me of Pentax ltd primes. I have a Panny 14/2.5 coming and wondering about the Panny 25/1.4 (if it ever comes in stock again). I also think I want to add the grip, at least half of it. That will push it more towards dSLR size, but still will be smaller than say a K5, and certainly is much smaller than my a77.

6400 shot my s/o took at my gig last night along with a crop (no, that's not me )
    Thank you so much for posting this shot. This is more the kind of shot conditions I am interested in. If you have the inclination I would like to see a crop from the darker areas too. I appreciate you posting this.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone who replied; I had in fact forgotten the 7-14/4, and I have heard so many reports about how good it is. It is also the one Panny lens I have not owned (and sold).

So: an OMD is in my future. Contacting our friend Monza now...

This is what it will look like:

OMD, the VG-3 in time for the tripod work, the Oly 12/2, the Panny 7-14 (thanks SO much for reminding me of this lens, everyone), the Panny-Leica 25/1.4, and the Sony 50/1.8.

What do y'all think?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    Thanks to everyone who replied; I had in fact forgotten the 7-14/4, and I have heard so many reports about how good it is. It is also the one Panny lens I have not owned (and sold).

So: an OMD is in my future. Contacting our friend Monza now...

This is what it will look like:

OMD, the VG-3 in time for the tripod work, the Oly 12/2, the Panny 7-14 (thanks SO much for reminding me of this lens, everyone), the Panny-Leica 25/1.4, and the Sony 50/1.8.

What do y'all think?
    Hi Kit
    it sounds fine to me - perhaps it's a reflection of how well Olympus have gone about it that I'm starting with just the kit lens - my prime lens requirements are pretty much covered with my M9.

I decided not to get an OMD . . . . but realised that it deserves a proper try out next to the NEX7 to see which is the right answer.

I also picked up a panny 100-300 on ebay - I thought it was going to be fun at the Badmington Horse trials next weekend . . but we learned today that they've been cancelled

Seemingly every time the government announces a drought in this country it pi$$es down with rain continuously for the next month!

Good luck with the camera!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jono,

I'm keeping the NEX-7 so that I can do side-by-side ergo. comparisons as well as IQ ones; I want a camera that really feels good in the hand, as well as ticking the boxes I mentioned above. Cheers, and sorry about the horse trials!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jono,

I'm keeping the NEX-7 so that I can do side-by-side ergo. comparisons as well as IQ ones; I want a camera that really feels good in the hand, as well as ticking the boxes I mentioned above. Cheers, and sorry about the horse trials!
    Me too - exactly the same situation - I'm getting rid of my A900, the 24 f2 and the 24-70 zoom to fund the OMD, and then I'm going to spend some time deciding which kit is for me (then I might get that lovely 7/14 zoom!)

The horse trials is tragic - the only good bit is that we've heard about the cancellation BEFORE we hired the camper van for the weekend!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

With the IQ of these mirrorless bodies (the GXR is outstanding with UWAs, even if its ergonomics are not as good as the NEX or, probably, the OMD), I feel the days of the DSLR for casual use are numbered. And the fact that a recent magazine cover was ship with an EP-1 is telling, I believe. I loved the IQ of the A850, to be sure, but with the advances of both lenses and bodies in the 4/3rds world, the gap is closing.

And although I really like the NEX-7, with its larger sensor physics dictates larger and heavier lenses, as a rule (thinking AF here). It might just be that 4/3rds will turn out to be a very nice compromise between size, weight, and IQ. I never took the A850 out with me walking, not even once, but the GXR or the NEX are with me always; this is non-trivial as we say.

Lucky about hearing the cancellation early, too.

Post Thanks / Like

What do y'all think?
    I think you are off to a good start. But, I would replace the Sony 50/1.8 with the stellar Zuiko micro 45/1.8. I don't know what a VG-3 is but would expect a HLD-6 making good sense.

I decided not to get an OMD . . . . but realised that it deserves a proper try out next to the NEX7 to see which is the right answer.
    Darn?! Here I went on and bought the grip understanding my nice offer was in vain...
    Oh well, I predict you'll keep it anyway - it really turns the camera from good into great.

Post Thanks / Like

Jonas; well spotted—I was thinking about the NEX-7 when I wrote that (Sony 50/1.8).

Is this the lens you mean—I did not see 'micro' in the designation.

The VG-3 is the tilting EVF (designed for the EP series) that can fit onto the OMD for when you need it—very nice for certain tripod jobs.

I might get the grip, but the usually end up sitting on the shelf!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that's the lens. It is a truly great lens and you won't regret buying it. Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 45mm f/1.8 - it's the M. i front of Zuiko telling you it is made for the micro system.

Ah, of course. Yes, a tilting EVF (well known from the Nex-5N and other cameras, no?) is something I miss now not having the mentioned Nex anymore. I rest my case about the grip for now...

Post Thanks / Like

All

I know everyone is all over the 45/1.8 but there is a lot to be said for the Leica 45/2.8. I appreciate the aperture is slower but this is the one lens I cannot bear to part with. In my calculations to sell bits of kit here and there I always come back to feeling I can't part with this lens. Incidentally, I'd sell all my Leica kit first, that is how good I think it is.

Just my two cents.

LouisB