The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus OM-D discussion

cjlacz

Just picked it up. Everything seems fine so far. Small camera, little heavier than I remember, but it's a bit dense. The touch screen seems great. I picked up three batteries so I have some power. Going to take some photos before it starts raining in the next hour. I'll post some photos with lenses when I get back.

cjlacz

The wind today is far beyond normal so I came back early. Haven't seen this bad even when a typhoon came. Here are some photos with different lenses. I forgot to take some with the grip on. Anything you'd like to see? 10 photos below. Taken with the iPhone, so I know it's nothing great.

m43s family

45mm

12mm

9-18mm

20mm

14-42X

40-150mm

12-50mm

OM-D and OM-2n silver. I think it looks a little more like the OM4, but I only have that in black.

With the optical 90 degree finder

Brian Mosley

Nice Charles, thanks! I guess the full metal body must be adding to the density.

Would like to see it with the left grip attached.

Brian

cjlacz

Here is the OM-D with grip and 90 finder next to the OM-2n with the same.

The grip feels very good. The dials feel pretty much identical to the camera dials. It does make the camera quite a bit heavier, so if you are looking for something lightweight it might not be the best accessory, but I'm glad I have it. The only downside is that the rubber covers might be easy to lose if you don't put them in the grip storage areas properly.

A few other comments.

At Shinjuku Yodobashi black was outselling silver 2:1, but they said that's still a pretty good showing for silver considering their customers. Other stores probably aren't split as much.

Anyone pre-ordering after the first couple days of March didn't get their camera today. Quite a backlog for a camera, especially an Olympus.

The new IS seems quite impressive. Not going to post any photos, but just some random crap in my apartment at 1/13 of a second and 150mm came out looking surprising well.

Haven't shot with it too much yet, but overall I'm liking it very much. Huge improvement over the GF1. I have a feeling that I'll want to keep a GF or Pen line camera to go with it when I want something more compact.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE seeing clipped highlights in the EVF. One of my favoriate features of the camera so far, turning it on was a PITA. Left eye shooters might have a hard time with the back dial location. I can use it, but my thumb rubs against my nose a bit. The whole view finder is still easily visible.

The new shutter sound is awesome. Much more muted. I don't have an E-1, but it seems E-1 like.

The color of the silver body matches the 45mm, not the 12mm. Only people looking for it would notice it though.

I'm surprised how much it looks like the OM2n when I have them next to each other. I think the shape is even closer to the OM4. I'm curious to see if people think I'm shooting a classic camera. For normal people I think the different might be hard to tell apart.

Brian Mosley

Thanks again Charles - you can certainly see the design inspiration there!

I hope you're right about the shutter sound, the E-1 shutter sound is beautiful.

Agreed regarding the clipped highlights, I've been using the Pekka Potka described method for ETTR and it's a breeze with this feature.

Hope the weather improves for you soon, stay safe!

Brian

V

Vivek

Charles, Thanks for the pictures.

While they look very nice, it also makes me sad to look at the OM-2n next to the OM-D. Terrific camera and how tiny it really is!

rparmar

Wow. Nice looking camera for sure.

From your description of the shutter sound, can I assume it is actually quieter than the PEN line?

cjlacz

Don't feel sad about the OM-2n. My OM cameras still get weekly use, it's the development tanks that need more attention. :(

I don't have a Pen camera with me, but it's more quiet and lower pitched than the GF1. I took some photos in a cafe and train today and it didn't seem to grab anyone's attention compared to the GF1 which often makes people look.

I got a few comments asking if I was using a film camera yesterday, so my theory that normal people can't tell the difference seems to be panning out.

Anyway, I've got a busy day today, but I'll try to post some photos tonight.

ggibson

Looks very nice, thanks for the photos and your impressions! Looks nice in silver... you're making me rethink my preference for the black. What do you think about the 12-50mm lens so far?

Also, how's the AF with the 20mm compared to the GF1?

Last edited:

M5-Guy

@cjlacz

Could you post a Back-To Back photo of your OM4 and OMD... I am curious on how close they are in size by Direct Comparison, instead reading dimensions.

I can't wait till B&H starts shipping, I just pre-odered on the 3rd of April, I hope I can get mine in their 1st Shipment out.

BTW, Great samples so far.... all who posted E-M5 images

F

frelwa

@cjlacz

Could you post a Back-To Back photo of your OM4 and OMD... I am curious on how close they are in size by Direct Comparison, instead reading dimensions.

Go back 1 page and 5 days. The comparison photo you want was already posted. :lecture:

M5-Guy

@cjlacz

Go back 1 page and 5 days. The comparison photo you want was already posted. :lecture:
Not a "Back-to-Back" image. just an E-M5 sitting a few inches away from a OM2... I was more interested in "Back-touching-Back image", and being a overhead shot.

Sorry for the confusion.

Terry

I like realistic discussions between rational people. There are some over there but the then the zealots join in and muck up the works.

Riley

in a day or two nobody will remember how many pictures are on flickr, but they will remember where the EM5 sensor is positioned in the scheme of things.

Don't sweat the small stuff..