The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus OM-D discussion

httivals

As with all UWAs you need to view it as a lens you can't really exploit without the power of the distortion correction tools in LR or CS. I also find it a tad soft at 7 but if you fill the frame then this is outweighed by the incredible effects you can get.
It's not soft at 7mm. It's the automatic distortion correction that can cause it to look a bit soft in spots. I've looked at the same files in DXO Optics Pro without distortion correction and they're tack sharp. DXO Optics Pro also lets you easily dial in the amount of distortion correction you want/need on an image by image basis.

The 7-14mm is a great lens. As for fisheyes, the Panasonic 8mm is nicer than the Rokinon/Samyang, as nice as the Rockinon/Samyang is. The Panasonic fisheye has much better color, IMHO, and is even a tad sharper.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am looking at the 4/3 Olympus 35-100 f/2 zoom. From what I've read, it is super-fast, super-sharp, and has nice bokeh. I have requested a review sample. Hopefully it will pair well with the OM-D.
This is a very good lens, but you will be disappointed with AF speed. If Af speed is not an issue, it will be a great lens for you!

bradhusick

Has anybody here tried the OM-D for sports using continuous autofocus? What kind of frame rates are you getting? Happy?

nostatic

I had the nex-5n, had an nex-7 on order forever and finally cancelled. I have the OMD now, sold the 5n. I wouldn't hold my breath for a firmware update from Sony - depending on what you want them to fix. I think you're fighting physics with some lenses there.

Frankly nothing I really am crying for in a firmware update with the OMD. I sometimes miss focus peaking but truth be told the AF on the OMD is very fast and very accurate. Significantly better than the 5n. The only other thing I wish it did was pull focus during video from the touchscreen (Pannys do this). For stills though, the touchscreen is highly addictive. Since the AF is so fast, it becomes highly usable if you want to shoot that way (my g/f favors AF/shutter release).

The 45/1.8 is awesome but I just got the 25/1.4 and I think that might be my fav.

etrigan63

Having shot dance I must say that zone focus is the way to go. Dancers hit their marks with great predictability.
True, once my camera acquires focus the deviations are very slight and i tend to shoot at f/4 to compensate for that.

raist3d

After having preorders for silver (Adorma) and black

The 45/1.8 is a great lens. Reminds me of Pentax ltd primes. I have a Panny 14/2.5 coming and wondering about the Panny 25/1.4 (if it ever comes in stock again). I also think I want to add the grip, at least half of it. That will push it more towards dSLR size, but still will be smaller than say a K5, and certainly is much smaller than my a77.

6400 shot my s/o took at my gig last night along with a crop (no, that's not me :D)
Thank you so much for posting this shot. This is more the kind of shot conditions I am interested in. If you have the inclination I would like to see a crop from the darker areas too. I appreciate you posting this.

- Raist

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Thanks to everyone who replied; I had in fact forgotten the 7-14/4, and I have heard so many reports about how good it is. It is also the one Panny lens I have not owned (and sold).

So: an OMD is in my future. Contacting our friend Monza now...

This is what it will look like:

OMD, the VG-3 in time for the tripod work, the Oly 12/2, the Panny 7-14 (thanks SO much for reminding me of this lens, everyone), the Panny-Leica 25/1.4, and the Sony 50/1.8.

What do y'all think?

jonoslack

Thanks to everyone who replied; I had in fact forgotten the 7-14/4, and I have heard so many reports about how good it is. It is also the one Panny lens I have not owned (and sold).

So: an OMD is in my future. Contacting our friend Monza now...

This is what it will look like:

OMD, the VG-3 in time for the tripod work, the Oly 12/2, the Panny 7-14 (thanks SO much for reminding me of this lens, everyone), the Panny-Leica 25/1.4, and the Sony 50/1.8.

What do y'all think?
Hi Kit
it sounds fine to me - perhaps it's a reflection of how well Olympus have gone about it that I'm starting with just the kit lens - my prime lens requirements are pretty much covered with my M9.

I decided not to get an OMD . . . . but realised that it deserves a proper try out next to the NEX7 to see which is the right answer.

I also picked up a panny 100-300 on ebay - I thought it was going to be fun at the Badmington Horse trials next weekend . . but we learned today that they've been cancelled :cry::cry::cry:

Seemingly every time the government announces a drought in this country it pi$$es down with rain continuously for the next month!

Good luck with the camera!

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Thanks Jono,

I'm keeping the NEX-7 so that I can do side-by-side ergo. comparisons as well as IQ ones; I want a camera that really feels good in the hand, as well as ticking the boxes I mentioned above. Cheers, and sorry about the horse trials!

jonoslack

Thanks Jono,

I'm keeping the NEX-7 so that I can do side-by-side ergo. comparisons as well as IQ ones; I want a camera that really feels good in the hand, as well as ticking the boxes I mentioned above. Cheers, and sorry about the horse trials!
Me too - exactly the same situation - I'm getting rid of my A900, the 24 f2 and the 24-70 zoom to fund the OMD, and then I'm going to spend some time deciding which kit is for me (then I might get that lovely 7/14 zoom!)

The horse trials is tragic - the only good bit is that we've heard about the cancellation BEFORE we hired the camper van for the weekend!

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
With the IQ of these mirrorless bodies (the GXR is outstanding with UWAs, even if its ergonomics are not as good as the NEX or, probably, the OMD), I feel the days of the DSLR for casual use are numbered. And the fact that a recent magazine cover was ship with an EP-1 is telling, I believe. I loved the IQ of the A850, to be sure, but with the advances of both lenses and bodies in the µ4/3rds world, the gap is closing.

And although I really like the NEX-7, with its larger sensor physics dictates larger and heavier lenses, as a rule (thinking AF here). It might just be that µ4/3rds will turn out to be a very nice compromise between size, weight, and IQ. I never took the A850 out with me walking, not even once, but the GXR or the NEX are with me always; this is non-trivial as we say.

Lucky about hearing the cancellation early, too.

Jonas

What do y'all think?
I think you are off to a good start. But, I would replace the Sony 50/1.8 with the stellar Zuiko micro 45/1.8. I don't know what a VG-3 is but would expect a HLD-6 making good sense.

I decided not to get an OMD . . . . but realised that it deserves a proper try out next to the NEX7 to see which is the right answer.
Darn?! Here I went on and bought the grip understanding my nice offer was in vain... ;)
Oh well, I predict you'll keep it anyway - it really turns the camera from good into great.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Jonas; well spotted—I was thinking about the NEX-7 when I wrote that (Sony 50/1.8).

Is this the lens you mean—I did not see 'micro' in the designation.

The VG-3 is the tilting EVF (designed for the EP series) that can fit onto the OMD for when you need it—very nice for certain tripod jobs.

I might get the grip, but the usually end up sitting on the shelf!

Jonas

Yes, that's the lens. It is a truly great lens and you won't regret buying it. Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 45mm f/1.8 - it's the M. i front of Zuiko telling you it is made for the micro system.

Ah, of course. Yes, a tilting EVF (well known from the Nex-5N and other cameras, no?) is something I miss now not having the mentioned Nex anymore. I rest my case about the grip for now...

biglouis

All

I know everyone is all over the 45/1.8 but there is a lot to be said for the Leica 45/2.8. I appreciate the aperture is slower but this is the one lens I cannot bear to part with. In my calculations to sell bits of kit here and there I always come back to feeling I can't part with this lens. Incidentally, I'd sell all my Leica kit first, that is how good I think it is.

Just my two cents.

LouisB