Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympus OM-D discussion

Allan Ostling

Olympus OM-D discussion

There is one feature of the OM-D which I think will be revolutionary: the Live Time mode. It is a time exposure just like the "T" setting on old film cameras, in which the exposure starts with one press of the shutter release button, and does not terminate until the button is pressed a second time. With film cameras a "T" exposure was always a guessing game who knew if the exposure in twilight should be five minutes, or twenty-five?

The OM-D eliminates the guesswork, updating the live view as the exposure progresses. When it finally looks good, you terminate it.

There is also a Live Bulb mode, just like the old "B" setting on your old Leica dial.

This should be fun.
    Last edited by Terry; 10th February 2012 at 03:24.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the Olympus OM-D

>The OM-D eliminates the guesswork, updating the live view as the exposure progresses. When it finally looks good, you terminate it.

Sounds excellent.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have to agree this looks really cool. This preview says that the number of updates is limited to 25, so for the longest exposure of 30 minutes the update interval would slightly exceed a minute. Still, that seems it like it works out well.
    Charles - flickr

Post Thanks / Like

What a clever idea!
    Kit Laughlin, www.StretchTherapy.net/, www.KitLaughlin.com/bodypress/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cool, thanks Allan - well spotted!

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Ostling View Post

The OM-D eliminates the guesswork, updating the live view as the exposure progresses. When it finally looks good, you terminate it.

There is also a Live Bulb mode, just like the old "B" setting on your old Leica dial.

This should be fun.
    That's a really cool idea.

- Raist

Allan Ostling

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    That's a really cool idea.
    It is an extraordinary achievement. No other camera has this feature. And its implementation baffles the techies on the Home Shop Machinist's forum. As one of the members (Evan) says there,

I am curious how it is able to update the image without disturbing the ongoing exposure. That isn't compatible with how present sensors work.

Post Thanks / Like

actually, Olympus have always made GREAT innovations that make photography so much easier.
    - Dust reduction
    - Art filters
    - In body image stabilization (cant confirm this)
    And together with panasonic, a really fantastic EVF that is miles better than the optical stuff we all are used to.
    So this is another really usefull innovation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is an extraordinary achievement. No other camera has this feature. And its implementation baffles the techies on the Home Shop Machinist's forum. As one of the members (Evan) says there,

I am curious how it is able to update the image without disturbing the ongoing exposure. That isn't compatible with how present sensors work.
    Woah... did I just read this right? if that's possible, wouldn't it be possible to have massively expanded dynamic range by multi-scanning and combining?

Doesn't this imply some kind of global shutter mechanism?

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Woah... did I just read this right? if that's possible, wouldn't it be possible to have massively expanded dynamic range by multi-scanning and combining?

Cheers

Brian
    I'm just glad I stuck with the m4/3 format when I could have bailed.....it's getting pretty exciting.

And c'mon.....a 75/1.8 prime?.......if it's the same build level as the Oly 12/2 and 45/1.8, then I'm in.

R

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rich M View Post
    I'm just glad I stuck with the m4/3 format when I could have bailed.....it's getting pretty exciting.

And c'mon.....a 75/1.8 prime?.......if it's the same build level as the Oly 12/2 and 45/1.8, then I'm in.

R
    Hi Rich
    I bailed - back in November when the NEX7 appeared. I don't really regret it, but it's sad to miss all the fun of this new camera . . .and those lovely new lenses too!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono... just a note to say hello really.

I tried the NEX7 at a camera show in Austin, Texas not long ago and I just could not get my head and hands around the form factor of the camera. Something about it just doesn't work for me.

I just returned my Fuji X10 last week as it appears that Fuji is not forthcoming with a true fix for the "Orbs" issue but rather a patch that lessens the issue.. just doesn't work for me. I did love that little camera and had some great photos from it.. the best ever from a small sensor camera.

Now I wait to see what the X Pro 1 produces... but this time I will NOT be first in line to buy one.

Anyway, just a hello from Texas.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Post Thanks / Like

I am not entirely sure that's true.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers

Brian
    Not really and no. This is more about reading the ongoing accumulated data while keeping the data in place or read-> accumulate/reset and read again.

For an HDR mechanism you have to do different exposures. You could do the accumulation buffer but this is already done- look at Pentax's HDR (I believe Sony has it too but I could be wrong). That's been done.

What hasn't been done is to take those different shots fast enough that you could treat them like a "single shot" and then do the buffer join/processing. This is (this last thing) is what the Olympus high dynamic range multi shot patent detailed- to my surprise in rather extensive detail- making me believe that they were at least doing a rather serious investigation about it as a possibility.

This is not the same thing and hasn't shown up yet. I don't know if they hit a wall where they found a big issue or the sensor/readout is not quite there yet.

- Ricardo

Allan Ostling

Kirk Tuck has the best review, so far:

He is the first to report that it has a new feature for Olympus (but available on the GH2) – the ability to select aspect ratios 4:3, 3:2, and 16:9 without cropping. This feature premiered on the LX3, and I found it to be invaluable.

If Tuck gets his wish, some future model will give us a square sensor, obviating turning the camera for vertical shots.

Another thing I like about the OM-D is that it has an ON/OFF lever, perhaps not as nice as on the X100, but an improvement over the power button on the Pen series.

Post Thanks / Like

He is the first to report that it has a new feature for Olympus (but available on the GH2) the ability to select aspect ratios 4:3, 3:2, and 16:9 without cropping. This feature premiered on the LX3, and I found it to be invaluable.

If Tuck gets his wish, some future model will give us a square sensor, obviating turning the camera for vertical shots.

Another thing I like about the OM-D is that it has an ON/OFF lever, perhaps not as nice as on the X100, but an improvement over the power button on the Pen series.
    Sorry, but I'm pretty certain that KT's rep was incorrect, as he mentions in the edited caveat. The E-M5 has a 4:3 aspect sensor which will be cropped in 3:2 and 16:9 modes. Richard Butler all but confirmed that in a thread over at DPReview. Also, you can see that from the resolutions listed in the spec, 4608 x 3456 is the max resolution in both height and width (4:3). The 3:2 resolution is 4608 x 3072, which is just cropped.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree with raist3d on this. Not a big deal. Every camera does this. Only here, you are able to see it coupled with live view. A small improvement but nothing earth shaking.

BTW, I thought the "fun with.." was usually used for an images thread. Perhaps someone should rename this thread?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I agree with raist3d on this. Not a big deal. Every camera does this. Only here, you are able to see it coupled with live view. A small improvement but nothing earth shaking.

BTW, I thought the "fun with.." was usually used for an images thread. Perhaps someone should rename this thread?
    Well the camera is not out :-) To be fair, the feature itself is very clever- end user wise. Hasn't been done and I can see the use/benefit.

- Raist

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If I am not mistaken, Fuji S3 UVIR Pro was the first to offer this live view possibility..

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Radcliffe View Post
    Jono... just a note to say hello really.

I tried the NEX7 at a camera show in Austin, Texas not long ago and I just could not get my head and hands around the form factor of the camera. Something about it just doesn't work for me.

I just returned my Fuji X10 last week as it appears that Fuji is not forthcoming with a true fix for the "Orbs" issue but rather a patch that lessens the issue.. just doesn't work for me. I did love that little camera and had some great photos from it.. the best ever from a small sensor camera.

Now I wait to see what the X Pro 1 produces... but this time I will NOT be first in line to buy one.

Anyway, just a hello from Texas.
    HI Jim
    and a big hello back to you from snowy suffolk!
    I'm not certain about the NEX7, but it's the nearest thing I have to a 'point and shoot' these days!

The M9 is still my main camera, and although the OM-D looks lovely, I don't really see where it fits in.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm considering renaming this thread. The "fun with" threads are generally for released products with images etc. not just speculation info.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Please do. Thanks!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Olympus OM-D discussion

Done

Post Thanks / Like

If I am not mistaken, Fuji S3 UVIR Pro was the first to offer this live view possibility..
    if you really wanted to go back in time, E-10 and E-20 were first, however

the Fuji was time limited to 30 seconds, couldn't AF and was B&W only

slight limitation ?

thearne3

He is the first to report that it has a new feature for Olympus (but available on the GH2) – the ability to select aspect ratios 4:3, 3:2, and 16:9 without cropping. This feature premiered on the LX3, and I found it to be invaluable.
    If Kirk is right...and I hope he is...then DPR's specs are wrong. They indicate that the pixel dimensions are reduced for other aspect ratios: eg 3/2 is 4608 x 3072 or 14.155mp and the largest square is 11.94mp. It is true that if you 'only need 12mp', we're covered in all these aspect ratios! (Ooops! already corrected...)

My favorite under-reported feature is the virtual elimination of 'blackout' when shooting. It has been reported (robinwong.blogspot.com) that even at 9fps, there is EVF visual, ie, the photographer can track moving objects and keep them in frame. Of course, at this rate focus is fixed, but at least you can see what you're shooting! Robin also notes that the shutter sound is more muted than the E-P3...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    if you really wanted to go back in time, E-10 and E-20 were first, however

the Fuji was time limited to 30 seconds, couldn't AF and was B&W only

slight limitation ?
    Riley, I have no clue which one was the first to offer the feature of this thread. The point is that it is not new. You seem to confirm it with additional and even older candidates.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Riley, I have no clue which one was the first to offer the feature of this thread. The point is that it is not new. You seem to confirm it with additional and even older candidates.
    Nothing is new around here.

Post Thanks / Like

oh sure
    the thing now is that this camera doesnt black out between frames. Apparently even at 9fps the 'video' feed through liveview is constant

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Check from 3:52 of this video for 9fps shooting.

Hong Kong Launch Party

Still looks beta firmware to me... but there is certainly promise.

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure what the first big blackout is but on the second try they hit the buffer pretty quickly as it hasn't cleared from the first round. This is where the Nikon system is pretty amazing.

So far, it still seems nobody seems to have put all the specs into one camera.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

oh sure
    the thing now is that this camera doesnt black out between frames. Apparently even at 9fps the 'video' feed through liveview is constant
    I thought the Fuji S3 pro UVIR did not black out during the bulb exposure...no?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Not sure what the first big blackout is but on the second try they hit the buffer pretty quickly as it hasn't cleared from the first round. This is where the Nikon system is pretty amazing.

So far, it still seems nobody seems to have put all the specs into one camera.
    Difficult to tell what's going on there - could be beta firmware, could be slow SDHC card etc. It didn't look continuous live view to me - more like frozen view between shots. This could be a configuration option... Could be it wasn't configured for constant live view.

We'll see in due course.

Brian

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

oh sure
    If that is true, it's a huge step forward. It would mean that the OM-D would be usable for sports photography.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    If that is true, it's a huge step forward. It would mean that the OM-D would be usable for sports photography.
    Im hoping its true too, their is already wide misreporting of the sensor installed and that just isnt helpful. Im hoping that this news about the EVF system is real, it shouldnt take too long to sort that out if people look/ask for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you all notice the dimensions? Not too much bigger than a GX1, although taller with the hump.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

oh sure
    From what I read it's not constant, but only 29 or 26ms. I'm not sure that includes the shutter time, but it seems faster than even the D700 from what I found through Google.
    Charles - flickr

Allan Ostling

rainy day kit lens

I have just canceled my pre-order at Amazon for the OM-D black body. I decided I wanted the 12-50mm weather-sealed lens, so re-ordered with that.

What changed my mind was the photo you see below. I shot that with my E-P2 in New Zealand in 2010, near Lake Kaniere. It was a drizzly day, a rare treat for somebody like me who lives in Phoenix and almost never sees rain. I've never owned a rain-sealed lens, so when I get it I will have an incentive to find some, and in the words of Phil Collins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcY3FH208l8&ob=av3e

Who was Dowrick, and what was the dilemma? I have a message out to my New Zealand friends to find out.

Allan Ostling

autofocusing speed

This page from the Olympus OM-D website OLYMPUS OM-D | Olympus Imaging states that the record-setting autofocus is achieved when using the 12-50mm kit lens. I wonder if the autofocus speed will be significantly slower with other lenses.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is always a caveat to Olympus claims. I bet it also says record breaking speed is also only at wide angle. I believe that was the case on the E-P3. Oly have great marketers who can deftly nuance words and meanings.

Post Thanks / Like

There is always a caveat to Olympus claims. I bet it also says record breaking speed is also only at wide angle. I believe that was the case on the E-P3. Oly have great marketers who can deftly nuance words and meanings.
    Unfortunately I mast say

+1

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cjlacz View Post
    From what I read it's not constant, but only 29 or 26ms. I'm not sure that includes the shutter time, but it seems faster than even the D700 from what I found through Google.
    yes there are a few things to be careful of here
    lag for the EVF is 29ms
    and yes that 'timing' equates to some very good SLR shutter speed responses
    but that EVF lag may not be the only limitation to OM-D

so we still have to wait and see,
    ...........but IR will publish it when they do their review

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You can be too clever for your own good, but most claims have to be qualified... even if just to put a time stamp on them!

We'll know the truth soon enough, when we can get first hand reports here.

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

You can be too clever for your own good, but most claims have to be qualified... even if just to put a time stamp on them!

We'll know the truth soon enough, when we can get first hand reports here.

Cheers

Brian
    Brian,

with all due respect, but the claim that the EP2 would have the FASTEST AF was simply WRONG.

How many cameras should I mention here which are faster?

SImilar fear for the claims WRT OM-D.

Sorry, once trust is lost it is not easy to repair ....

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter, I don't take any claims by any manufacturer at face value. Especially marketing closings!

I always read the small print, and then look for third party confirmation on the forums.

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Peter, I don't take any claims by any manufacturer at face value. Especially marketing closings!

I always read the small print, and then look for third party confirmation on the forums.

Cheers

Brian
    I don't bother reading too many reviews or whatever. I go borrow or test at a dealership and see whether I like a camera, when I can find one to test. The GXR was a bit of a black hole as there were (are) no dealers who carry it anywhere near me. Luckily it worked out well.

I'm looking forward to seeing the E-M5 when it arrives at the local dealer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Same experience with the X100... went, tried it for myself and was sold immediately.

It's good to read the thoughts of those I've come to know and respect over time though.

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Rich
    I bailed - back in November when the NEX7 appeared. I don't really regret it, but it's sad to miss all the fun of this new camera . . .and those lovely new lenses too!
    Gosh Jono, I look forward to seeing you and the new OMD in May when we get together...yet to be discussed. I was a hair breath from ordering but I shall wait until I can see it!

Cheers from across the Atlantic!

Allan Ostling

E-M5 Instruction Manual available for download

You can download the instruction manual for the OM-D E-M5 here: E-M5 &gt Product Manuals

I have that now on my iPad good bedtime reading.

Allan Ostling

Re: E-M5 Instruction Manual available for download

You can download the instruction manual for the OM-D E-M5 here: E-M5 &gt Product Manuals

Here are a few things which the manual tells us.

1. The weight of the E-M5 (with battery) is virtually identical to the weight of the E-P2 (with battery) and viewfinder VF-2 attached.

2. Aspect ratio is changed by cropping (Kirk Tuck heard it wrong).

3. A still photograph can be taken during movie recording. Three files are created: the movie footage before the photograph, the photograph itself, and the movie footage after the photograph.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: E-M5 Instruction Manual available for download

Here are a few things which the manual tells us.
    (...)
    3. A still photograph can be taken during movie recording. Three files are created: the movie footage before the photograph, the photograph itself, and the movie footage after the photograph.
    That sounds pretty nifty. Then there will be no problems recording longer sequences - all we need to do is taking a still image every half an hour so? But that sounds too easy... I wonder if the clip before and after the still image can be joined seamlessly?

OK, I should download and read the manual myself.

Thank you,