Site Sponsors

Thread: Who needs this lens?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Question Who needs this lens?

The Sigma 30/2.8 for the m4/3rds. Available for "pre-order".

Anyone cares?

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Who needs this lens?

Nope

Post Thanks / Like

It is an APS-C design they slapped a m43 mount on. More specifically, it appears to be the lens for the up and coming Sigma DP2M which they slapped both a NEX and an m43 mount on.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

When I read that Sigma and Tamron were joining the m4/3 format, I feared that they would simply adapt some of their existing lenses to m4/3 rather then designing new lenses from the ground up. One of the greatest benefits of the m4/3 format is that the lenses can be pretty compact. Having huge lenses with those tiny bodies totally defeats the purpose of the format. I would not buy this lens even if it was f1.2.
    Tullio

Post Thanks / Like

Not me.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try it for $50. But I'll try anything for $50. And get your minds out of the gutter - I'm talking about lenses!

Seriously what I would like to see from Tamron and Sigma are some of their long telephoto lenses and some of their better zooms made AF and IS for the 4/3 mount! The 50-500mm springs to mind from Sigma right off. From tamron there's almost too many to name but the 90mm f2.8 Di 1:1 Macro and the 180mm f/3.5 Di 1:1 Macro are both exceptional designs - as well as the Tamron SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)! All fantastically superb lenses which I own and adapt to my 4/3 already! In fact that 200-500mm from Tamron competes with primes of the same FL costing thousands more. I really dig mine!

Those are what I would like to see from those makers. It's what is missing and needed the most IMO. 30mm f/2.8? WTH are they thinking?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You forgot the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro. Although it was available in 4/3 mount, it won't AF with m4/3 cameras even with an adapter.

The new Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 OS would also be an interesting lens for m4/3. Being an 100-300mm eqv., it's almost exactly what my most used telephoto zoom today, the 80-200 AF-S on Nikon 1.5x crop, represents. At 780g, it's around half the weight of the Nikkor.

Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 19th February 2012 at 02:49.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, those sound nice! There's so many great choices they could have made. Why the 30/2.8 tho. It's a bit odd IMO! Maybe they're trying to follow instead of lead? Whatever...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    The new Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 OS would also be an interesting lens for m4/3. Being an 100-300mm eqv., it's almost exactly what my most used telephoto zoom today, the 80-200 AF-S on Nikon 1.5x crop, represents. At 780g, it's around half the weight of the Nikkor.
    Lighter than the Oly 50-200 and with a straight 2.8 would work well with a teleconverter. I would like to see that too.
    Charles - flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    You forgot the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro. Although it was available in 4/3 mount, it won't AF with m4/3 cameras even with an adapter.

I guess the question is, what would the Sigma 50-150mm do that the Zuiko 40-150mm doesn't? It's a great little lens, reasonably priced.
    Tullio

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
    I guess the question is, what would the Sigma 50-150mm do that the Zuiko 40-150mm doesn't? It's a great little lens, reasonably priced.
    Much larger aperture, 2 stops at the long end. Sometimes, that matters a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go for the Sigma 50-500 or even the older 150-500 if it supported AF. It would make an awesome birding lens.

As for the 30/2.8 - without sounding too much like Jerermy Clarkson - what on earth were they thinking?

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    I'd go for the Sigma 50-500 or even the older 150-500 if it supported AF. It would make an awesome birding lens.

As for the 30/2.8 - without sounding too much like Jerermy Clarkson - what on earth were they thinking?

LouisB
    Agree about the 50-500 or 150-500, but actually, the 50-500 is the older one, the original Bigma, although the version before the 150-500 didn't have OS. That one was also available in 4/3 mount but is difficult to find nowadays.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post

LouisB
    As Ken said above, these lenses seem to be designed for their new DP Merrill cameras and then adapted for m4/3 and NEX. I think they seem to be priced appropriately ($200 for the 30mm), and they're still reasonably fast. Inexpensive m4/3 primes aren't exactly plentiful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    As Ken said above, these lenses seem to be designed for their new DP Merrill cameras and then adapted for m4/3 and NEX. I think they seem to be priced appropriately ($200 for the 30mm), and they're still reasonably fast. Inexpensive m4/3 primes aren't exactly plentiful.
    At that price, and if they are extremely sharp and have a very pleasant bokeh and rendering, they might be nice walk-around alternatives, but since the standard zoom lenses for m4/3 are rather good, they really have to show some extraordinary results.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Someone actually bought this lens!

Sigma 30mm F2.8

Popey

I'm another one in the not needed camp. To me it's neither fish nor fowl. Too short and too slow to be any real use as a portrait lens. I did originally wonder whether it was a macro lens, but no, it's not that either!