Site Sponsors

Thread: Japan banks may hijack Olympus (Reuters)

Post Thanks / Like

Japan banks may hijack Olympus (Reuters)

Foreign investors fear Japan banks may hijack Olympus | Reuters

Interesting whose coming a calling
    Among firms rumored to be interested in making a strategic investment in Olympus are electronics firms Sony and Panasonic Corp, rival endoscope maker Fujifilm Holdings Corp and another medical equipment firm, Terumo Corp. South Korea's Samsung Group has also been cited in media speculation as a potential partner.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Japan banks may hijack Olympus (Reuters)

No surprises. The Japanese wouldn't like a company that has "... 70 percent of the global market for diagnostic endoscopes" to end up on foreign hands, so they want to take control. Olympus is also an important, although not very profitable, part of Japanese photo heritage. Would Americans like to see the Kodak brand under Chinese ownership?
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Would Americans like to see the Kodak brand under Chinese ownership?
    We don't really care who owns our companies. They're multi-national anyway. Lots of foreign firms have controlling interests in traditionally American companies, so it's no big deal.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Post Thanks / Like

I think that's true - Americans don't really care. But that's mainly because of an INCREDIBLE lack of wisdom!!! Well, that and an overabundance of ignorance. I suppose it could have something to do with the amount of fluoride the average American consumes as well. <shrug>

MODERATOR WARNING: Comments like this have no place on a photo forum. I haven't deleted it so people can see this warning.

Last edited by Terry; 25th February 2012 at 12:11.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tesselator View Post
    I think that's true - Americans don't really care. But that's mainly because of an INCREDIBLE lack of wisdom!!! Well, that and an overabundance of ignorance. I suppose it could have something to do with the amount of fluoride the average American consumes as well. <shrug>
    Tesselator, why don't you tell us what you really think! I can't imagine making such a grossly overstated, arrogant and ridiculous statement about the citizens of another country. But, this is about par for the course with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CPWarner View Post
    Tesselator, why don't you tell us what you really think! I can't imagine making such a grossly overstated, arrogant and ridiculous statement about the citizens of another country. But, this is about par for the course with you.
    Has it ever occurred to you that Tesselator might not be Japanese?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I have considered that question several times in the past. Based on a history of postings here, I have a guess. However, only one person can clear that up.

So Jorgen, Has it ever occurred to you that regardless of whether he is Japanese or not, what he said was offensive and has no place here in a photography forum? I really doubt that the moderators here want this forum to degrade to a bunch of geo-political bickering. While I also do not agree with the view expressed in the post that Tesselator replied to, Tesselator's response is out of line here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We all have our ways, and this subject more or less invites strong opinions. Tesselator is a great contributor to this and other forums and a helpful chap. If I disagree or not with him or others, why worry? It's the internet, and people have opinions. Sometimes they are off topic.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

while we're generalising, I think its likely that CPWarner may be American, perhaps he could clear that up too

Post Thanks / Like

Wow
    Quote Originally Posted by CPWarner View Post
    ...Has it ever occurred to you that regardless of whether he is Japanese or not, what he said was offensive and has no place here in a photography forum?
    offensive? How?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I came close to moderating out Tesselater's comment when it was written a day ago and decided against it at the time. Probably should have deleted it then. Yes, this is a photo forum and not a critique of citizenship. Let's get back to the regular scheduled programming or I will have to delete about the last 10 posts.

terry