Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dazzed and confused :(

Post Thanks / Like

Dazzed and confused :(

Ok, so Ive spent a little over a year and a half shooting with the Ep1 and the GF1 and I was not happy at all with high iso an dynamic range on these cameras. Then Ive spend about 2 years shooting with the NEX-5 and the NEX-5N and I could not be happier with high iso and dynamic range...but it makes me furious that all the NEX lenses are gigantic. I mean we will NEVER have a 20mm f1.7 for NEX the size of the NEX 16mm. Sonys best prime (the 24mm f1.8) is massive in comparison and it costs almost 3 times the price.

Lately with the new micro 4/3 sensors I got really drawn to changing systems again as they are supposed to be considerably better at high iso and dynamic range. I dont need astronomic values like iso 10000, but I DO shoot at 3200 and occasionally at 6400 (although its a lot rarer).

Changing systems is expensive and time consuming (both have to do with the fact that I live in Brazil, where customs is VERY harsh and products are most of the time more than 100% more expensive than in the US).

I dont want to buy an E-M5 with a 20mm f1.7 (the lens I miss the most), a 14mm f2.5, a 75mm f1.8 and 14-150mm to find out that I "need" to go back to the NEX system.

Oh, decisions, decisions.

I would really appreciate people would share their opinions as I know many here have and use both systems.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dazzed and confused :(

DR and how i optimized it within my Pen:
    All in M- Mode, RAW only
    Picture Mode MUTED and in addition
    Contrast set to -2
    Saturation to -2

Highlight warning set to 245
    Histogram off ( it is only valid for JPG !! )

Now i set thru INFO Button for HIGHLIGHT Warning with that red blinkies.
    I now do NOT meter for zeroing but for vanishing red blinkies !!!

What do i get : Perfect smooth RAWs with wonderful skintones....No Burned Highlights anymore and still structure in the darks.
    Rawfa, if you still have your PEN, go and try it.

Regards
    Klaus

Post Thanks / Like

Dazzed and confused :(

Ok, so Ive spent a little over a year and a half shooting with the Ep1 and the GF1 and I was not happy at all with high iso an dynamic range on these cameras. Then Ive spend about 2 years shooting with the NEX-5 and the NEX-5N and I could not be happier with high iso and dynamic range...but it makes me furious that all the NEX lenses are gigantic. I mean we will NEVER have a 20mm f1.7 for NEX the size of the NEX 16mm. Sonys best prime (the 24mm f1.8) is massive in comparison and it costs almost 3 times the price.

Lately with the new micro 4/3 sensors I got really drawn to changing systems again as they are supposed to be considerably better at high iso and dynamic range. I dont need astronomic values like iso 10000, but I DO shoot at 3200 and occasionally at 6400 (although its a lot rarer).

Changing systems is expensive and time consuming (both have to do with the fact that I live in Brazil, where customs is VERY harsh and products are most of the time more than 100% more expensive than in the US).

I dont want to buy an E-M5 with a 20mm f1.7 (the lens I miss the most), a 14mm f2.5, a 75mm f1.8 and 14-150mm to find out that I "need" to go back to the NEX system.

Oh, decisions, decisions.

I would really appreciate people would share their opinions as I know many here have and use both systems.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It isn't as difficult as it seems, Rafael.

You can always sell the 5 and 5N in the local market after getting the EM-5 and buy those lenses you want.

BTW, The local (EU) price here of the 14/2.5 (I already own one) is incredibly low at the moment!

I use a NEX-7 (the one and only that suits me in the NEX line) with all the E mount primes. The low light ability of this one compared to the GH-2 is bad. That does not bother me much since I have accepted it for what it is.

The EM-5, with better handling (with the grips), and the improved high ISO ability will do much better.

Post Thanks / Like

Never say never Rafa, especially if you take into account that Tamron and Sigma are starting to release E-mount lenses of reasonable size and price.

In the meantime there is an abundance of MF lenses which are close to what you're craving for (especially considering you can have them a half stop slower and 1.33 x longer then your list because the APS-C sensor is larger), but I don't know if MF is something you would like.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a lot of manual focus lenses but Ive missed from great action shots by lacking good AF lenses. Tamron and Sigma are yet to show something of interest. Tamrons 18-200mm is basically the same size and price as Sonys. Sigmas 30mm f2.8 is small enough but its not fast enough and itsclosest focusing distance is 30cm (which is a bit more than Id like it to be).

Post Thanks / Like

Vivek, that is the plan at the moment. Ive put my name down with Monza for an EM-5 body (which is supposed to be a "game changer" in the micro 4/3 game) and I will try it with manual lenses I already have before I start investing in micro 4/3 glass.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure why one would view the EM5 a game changer from a sensor and high ISO standpoint. If that was a major reason for purchasing one, I would wait to see production image results. I see the key advantages of the EM5 in their 5 axis image stabilization, the weather sealing, frame rate, and focusing speed (not proven yet and may be limited by lens choice). Given that Olympus has not yet stated their source of sensor, we really do not know if this is just a refinement on a Panasonic sensor or something new.

Post Thanks / Like

Rafa, I meant that more (unknown) stuff will probably be on the way, but obviously I don't know how "eager" you are to get the lenses you are looking for. (didn't want to say impatient )
    Actually what do you think of the announced Sigma 19/2.8? I actually do not own a Sony 16/2.8, so I'm wondering how that will perform and if it is a good alternative.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The origin of the sensor is immaterial to me. I am just very happy that Olympus are finally being sensible and are bringing out a camera with an integrated EVF and not more of the same half blind cameras.

The Panasonic GH-3: I expect that would be awesome as well. The GH-2 is a just fantastic.

With the introduction of the NEX-7, finally there is an useful NEX. The competition is fierce and both are shaping up well.

There is a big edge to the m4/3rds because of all the fine lenses and some useful accessories it has. There is whole bunch more but they aren't compatible across the board and hence of very limited use.

Post Thanks / Like

That is my point. What is the point of having an incredible sensor if is surrounded by non-sensor related limitations. I feel really bad because I absolutely adore the sensor on the NEX-5N, but the lenses will never be as portable as the ones for micro 4/3. I recently went to a visit a bird zoo and I really missed having a dedicated tele lens (I shot everything manually with a massive 70-300mm macro) and started thinking about getting the 18-200mm...but when I looked at the pictures of it on a NEX it just looked ridiculous and not at all practical if you compare it to the Olympus 14-150mm or the Pana 14-140mm.

Vivek, what is you "limit high iso" on the GH2? Would you happen to have some iso 3200 samples?

Post Thanks / Like

I see the origin of the sensor as being important in that if one expects a big jump in improvement over a G3, GX1, or GH-2. If Olympus uses a tweaked sensor from the G3/GX1 then I would not realistically expect a massive improvement in high ISO performance.

I agree that the sensor in the GX1/G3 is a big improvement in my opinion over that in the GF1. I can shoot at ISO 800 and get usable images. I did not feel I could use that in the GF1. That said, I rarely do that and mainly stay at base ISO.

I agree that the other features in the EM5 are very nice to see.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Vivek, what is you "limit high iso" on the GH2? Would you happen to have some iso 3200 samples?
    DPreview has a pretty tool set that lets you compare to other cameras. I would look up their GH-2 comparison and directly compare the the NEX you are using.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a high iso comparison between the GX1 and the GF1 and there a massive improvement...up to a point that I had second thoughts if the images had been manipulated. The guys displayed images at iso 1600 that were perfectly usable and some 3200 that could be used with some treatment in post. Ive been browsing the web but Im yet to see some conclusive studies.

There is actually an interesting comparison between the GX1 and the EP3 here http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/1...-and-high-iso/ . IMHO I see a worthy improvement on high iso on the GX1.

And another one between the NEX-5 and the EP3 http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/0...he-sony-nex-5/ . The NEX-5 comes up as way better.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rafael, The way I approach it is different. It isn't one camera but the system.

Among the mirrorless offerings thus far, here is how I look at them:

1. Samsung NX- has everything for a great system. Mediocre in every aspect. Not for me.

2. Nikon/Pentax Q: Toys

3. Pentax K: Chunky, half blind. I do not understand the purpose.

4. Ricoh GXR: Limited to Leica lenses and a few others. Also has limited use EVF (or flash connection). Great sensor!

5. Sony NEX: Great future here, especially after the 7. ADI TTL Flash system is just fabulous as well.

6. M4/3rds: Undisputed leader when it comes to the mirrorless market.
    With Olympus now joining it with an integrated EVF camera, it is just fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone posted this in another thread about the OM-D:

pekkapotka - Journal

I found it a pretty good read.

Keep in mind two things.

1) If shooting RAW you're mostly (95%) at the mercy of the sensor size and pixel density for ISO performance and DR range. There is no magic hokus-pokus voo-doo that will make a sensor of size/density X perform like one of Y. And companies will even distribute false data to try and get you to believe that there is. So 4/3 was then what it is now plus the density increase. Period. Except for actual blunders like Panasonic's line pattern noise in high ISO darks this is true and you can bank on it when making decisions.

2) If shooting JPeg you're at the mercy of the camera engine's performance and that can only really be revealed by looking at 100's of samples or owning the model in question. For noise removal it's a little easier but for color accuracy, DR compensations and etc. it's good to get a lot of data and a lot of opinions from guys who post lots and lots of good images. And who have used the cameras you're interested in.

Post Thanks / Like

Rafa, because the NEX sensor is larger than the M 4/3, it performs better, all other things being equal. Hence, better noise and high ISO and DR. And because it is larger, lenses need to be larger as well in order to produce a larger image circle. You can't have your cake and eat it. Therefore, what you get are incremental improvements on both system that may, for a while, leapfrog each other, until the other one catches up and overtakes the competition for a few months or even weeks...

Post Thanks / Like

Rafa

I wish there was an easy answer one way or the other. I keep on with m43rds not because of the quality of the sensor but because of the quality of the lenses. The 20/1.7 and my Leica 45/2.8 produce fantastic results from such a portable camera. I can also turn in very good birding pictures using the 100-300. The size of the camera and the portability of the lenses for the system mean that I have a camera with me - as opposed to sitting at home because it is too heavy, or requires too much effort.

I don't believe a m43rds sensor will ever approach the quality of larger sensors but you never know. As others have said, I would wait and see what the results from the EM-5 are before making any hard decisions, if you can.

LouisB

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Does this thread really need to be in two forums? Can't it be combined?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Rafael, The way I approach it is different. It isn't one camera but the system.

Among the mirrorless offerings thus far, here is how I look at them:

1. Samsung NX- has everything for a great system. Mediocre in every aspect. Not for me.

2. Nikon/Pentax Q: Toys

3. Pentax K: Chunky, half blind. I do not understand the purpose.

4. Ricoh GXR: Limited to Leica lenses and a few others. Also has limited use EVF (or flash connection). Great sensor!

5. Sony NEX: Great future here, especially after the 7. ADI TTL Flash system is just fabulous as well.

6. M4/3rds: Undisputed leader when it comes to the mirrorless market.
    With Olympus now joining it with an integrated EVF camera, it is just fantastic.
    +1 absolutely agree. I would say NEX system is great, but lenses just aren't ready yet! Yes you keep hearing it and people keep saying but they just not releasing anything good!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    The 20/1.7 and my Leica 45/2.8 produce fantastic results from such a portable camera. I can also turn in very good birding pictures using the 100-300.

LouisB
    LouisB:What do you think of the 100-300 lens, is this the telephoto to get?

Thanks
    Po

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    LouisB:What do you think of the 100-300 lens, is this the telephoto to get?

Thanks
    Po
    There have been some arguments for and against in the forum but I come down on the side of (a) it is relatively inexpensive for this type of long telephoto, (b) it benefits from being very light and quite short when the hood is reversed - I carry it quite happily in my camera bag, so you will take it with you, (c) it is autofocus - I mention this because you can buy any number of optically better manual lenses and fit them with adaptors to your m43rds camera but when you are trying to get a 'bird on the run' I prefer the aid of autofocus. And I did I also mention the stabilisation?

I also happen to think the optical quality is amazing but I also don't have much experience with really long zooms.

You can get a better idea of the capabilities by looking at the 'birds' section of my Flickr stream, or the 'fun with 100-300' thread in this section of the forum.

Just my two cents!

Louis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    It's probably my problem, but I only follow the Sony forum over here

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing your experience Louis.
    I don't really use a telephoto much, I think part of the reason is what I shoot, but in particular if size and weight were manageable this might change! Change is what I am trying to experiment with right now, especially with the GX1 and m4/3 in general.

Po

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kweide View Post
    All in M- Mode, RAW only
    Contrast set to -2
    Saturation to -2

What do i get : Perfect smooth RAWs with wonderful skintones....No Burned Highlights anymore and still structure in the darks.
    Rawfa, if you still have your PEN, go and try it.

Regards
    Klaus
    Thanks Klaus, this sounds interesting - I'll give it a go

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know that this is conventional wisdom philber, but I don't really think it holds water
    Quote Originally Posted by philber View Post
    Rafa, because the NEX sensor is larger than the M 4/3, it performs better, all other things being equal. Hence, better noise and high ISO and DR..
    It's really not that much larger - the height of the sensor is only a couple mm difference - really not significant - most of the difference is in the length. I just don't that's a good enough excuse for the lesser quality of the Pana/Oly sensors; I think the point is that Sony make killer sensors and Panasonic don't (yet - but the OMD sensor does sound promising).

Quote Originally Posted by philber View Post
    And because it is larger, lenses need to be larger as well in order to produce a larger image circle.
    So what's with the tiny Pentax limited lenses then? Most of these are actually for full frame, not just for APSc . . . and how about the Leica M lenses - which are all for a full frame sensor, and are much smaller than the Sony lenses.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Terry
    I thought I was going mad!

I'm sure they should be combined . . . but where?

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tesselator View Post
    1) If shooting RAW you're mostly (95%) at the mercy of the sensor size and pixel density for ISO performance and DR range. There is no magic hokus-pokus voo-doo that will make a sensor of size/density X perform like one of Y. And companies will even distribute false data to try and get you to believe that there is. So 4/3 was then what it is now plus the density increase. Period. Except for actual blunders like Panasonic's line pattern noise in high ISO darks this is true and you can bank on it when making decisions.
    The Sony sensor as 15.5mm tall - the m43 is 13mm tall. I'm sorry - this is not a radically different sensor size - the shorter m4.3 sensor makes it seem that way. This is not a difference which is going to be significant in sensor results.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI There Rafa
    I completely understand your quandary. I've sold both an m4/3 and a NEX system TWICE

Like you, I might use manual focus lenses on it, but principally its to use native AF lenses (I use my M9 if I'm going to shoot manual).

The reason for ditching NEX this time was that it wasn't as good as the M9 for M lenses (how should it be) and it wasn't as good as the A77 for AF. The fact that the image quality was fab wasn't really the point - because it's fab with the M9 and A77/A900 as well!

Basically, I found the AF on the NEX7 not to be controllable enough - I'm often focusing on small things in front of a distant background, and it doesn't really work - I could never be sure what's going to be in focus. Added to which the AF wasn't nearly as fast the EP3 which it replaced - so it's gone.

I'm going to give m4/3 one more chance (I liked the EP3, and it's results, although I prefer more than 12mp, and the high ISO and DR were not fantastic). So - I have an OMD on order - if it's fun to use, has fast AF and decent IQ then I might buy a couple more lenses (probably the 7-14 and a longer telephoto).

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm sorry if this is a bit of a mash up now but there really was no reason to have this going on two different forums. Confusing to all. Now we just have 25 posts in a confusing order.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Terry - it's a confusing subject, so the confusing order simply mirrors life

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Some threads are confusing anyway, either due to the content or due to problems knowing who is replying to who. I think we al are used to it and I don't think this thread got impossible. Thank you for the merge.

Post Thanks / Like

All in M- Mode, RAW only
    Contrast set to -2
    Saturation to -2

Klaus,

That sounds like a variation of earlier methods we all have read about how to expose to the right. Just for curiosity; What is your colour temperature setting and in what light conditions does this method work the best for you? And, The Histogram is, as you say, for the actual JPG setting only, then I would guess the Highlight warning also is valid for the actual JPG setting only?

I guess I'm missing something?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    Klaus,

That sounds like a variation of earlier methods we all have read about how to expose to the right. Just for curiosity; What is your colour temperature setting and in what light conditions does this method work the best for you? And, The Histogram is, as you say, for the actual JPG setting only, then I would guess the Highlight warning also is valid for the actual JPG setting only?

I guess I'm missing something?
    HI Jonas
    Klaus's recipe sounds exciting but . . .
    I think I'm missing something too:

All in M- Mode, RAW only
    Contrast set to -2
    Saturation to -2
    I thought that the contrast and saturation settings only applied to jpgs as well?

But I guess I'm wrong - it's interesting news though.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I thought that the contrast and saturation settings only applied to jpgs as well?

But I guess I'm wrong - it's interesting news though.

all the best
    I think what he is saying is that the histogram and the information on the screen is all from the jpeg thumbnail so the settings neutralize what that looks like in the image review and gives you a better idea of how your RAW file will behave.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I rarely use the histogram anyhow, and think the highlight/shadow blinkies are more useful.

This will work on the jpeg, but the settings give a very neutral file so should be reasonably close I think.

Anyhow, I'm glad to give it a go.

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I understand turning the histogram off if the blinkies are more effective. What that puzzles me is that the WB setting is omitted from the list. I would guess it has much more of impact when it comes to saturate the "pixels" than the contrast and saturation settings. I also would guess one has better leave the WB at daylight all the time using this method.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think what he is saying is that the histogram and the information on the screen is all from the jpeg thumbnail so the settings neutralize what that looks like in the image review and gives you a better idea of how your RAW file will behave.
    Well, okay, but he says he switches off the histogram because it only relates to jpgs?

Klaus - we are all interested, but we need more information - please will you get up and explain properly

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

That's how I read it. Having shot Canons since the original D30 I was always told their histo was based on jpeg and the best way to use it was to make it as neutral as possible so I've tried to do that with m4/3 also.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the many things that Ive found very interesting about the OMD is the fact that it lets you adjust the curves (highlights, shadows, mids) directly on the camera. If it really works it could be very very cool.

Ive just bought a 14mm 2.5 SUPER cheap on ebay and I ordered some adapters for my manual lenses. Now all I need the OMD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI There Rafa
    I completely understand your quandary. I've sold both an m4/3 and a NEX system TWICE
    Hahahaha...I think we might be twins separated at birth. I thought I was the only crazy person turning this system battle into an existentialist issue. It comforts me to know Im not alone

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if you can choose between NTSC and PAL on the OMDs movie mode?

Post Thanks / Like

Rawfa,

I shoot with a GX1 (and GF1) and mostly with the 20 1.7, 45 1.8, and 14-45 zoom. I can't speak to dynamic range. Other system features are more important to me, so DR is what it is.

I do feel, though, that 3200 will be a stretch for any current m4/3 system, likely including the OM-D. I routinely shoot at 800, and 1600 in a pinch. If good 3200 noise performance is really a need, you should review online samples.

As we all know, every system has trade-offs, but I think m4/3 strikes about the best balance between size, lens options, and performance.

John

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if you can choose between NTSC and PAL on the OMDs movie mode?
    Just read the US and Spanish user manual an apparently its 30p for all I was really hopping for 24p or at least 25p.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Rawfa,

I do feel, though, that 3200 will be a stretch for any current m4/3 system, likely including the OM-D. I routinely shoot at 800, and 1600 in a pinch. If good 3200 noise performance is really a need, you should review online samples.

John
    Spanish website usually posts great incisive reviews. They did a hands on preview of the OMD and they said that even though they were not allowed to post samples they believed that even iso 6400 was usable. I wont hold my breath about the iso 6400 but this does gives me hope regarding iso 3200.

Post Thanks / Like

Spanish website usually posts great incisive reviews. They did a hands on preview of the OMD and they said that even though they were not allowed to post samples they believed that even iso 6400 was usable. I wont hold my breath about the iso 6400 but this does gives me hope regarding iso 3200.
    I would imagine that ISO 3200 must be perfectly usable. Was already pretty nice from the E5 and this sensor is some generations more advanced, as well as the processing engine of the OM-D.

I really start getting interested again in m43 since the introduction of the OM-D but I am still not sure if this will be enough to get me back in

Post Thanks / Like

ISO 2500 is very useable with the GH2 when shooting RAW. Using the full increments and not the 1/3 stop increments is better and on the GH series gets you to 2500 vs. 3200. When using iso 1250 and above, I find it's more important to have more light. Usually I dial in -1/3 or -2/3 stop exposure compensation, and for landscapes at iso 160, it's not at all uncommon for me to expose at -1 stop or less to avoid blowing highlights. I then bring back shadow detail in post. But when shooting at iso 1250 and 2500, I find that I need to tolerate blown highlights more and hence usually use no exposure compensation and the images end up being very useable.

Post Thanks / Like

Some iso tests: Micro Four Thirds Camera Blog – More Olympus E-M5 sample shots at different ISO settings (16001200 JPEGs) - Micro Four Thirds Camera Blog

EP3 vs OMD

EP3 iso 3200

OMD iso 12800

They look very promising but there is a lot of available light. Id like to see some samples with some real low light.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They look very promising but there is a lot of available light. Id like to see some samples with some real low light.
    I saw these as well - and I quite agree - sanity is required, but I did think that the OMD was probably 1.5 stops better than the EP3, which might not make it earth shattering, but very useable.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Did you notice that on the sight where the blogger got these files there is an explanation that Olympus asked that they be shared only at 1600 x 1200? So not really valid samples. We all know what downsampling does to noise.

John