Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: e410 test shot

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: e410 test shot

Yea you are probably right , guess i was thinking more a bokeh sweetheart in the kit. Maybe the 50 macro might be good at it
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Yea you are probably right , guess i was thinking more a bokeh sweetheart in the kit. Maybe the 50 macro might be good at it
    Remember, you're talking big depth of field - the 50 macro could possibly be sharper than anything you've ever used . . . but it does have a big depth of field, even at f2.

I think the bokeh sweethearts are there, but its the 14-35 f2, and the 35-100 f2 . . . and they're big and VERY expensive.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Post processed a bit, sorry for muddy early version

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    Post processed a bit, sorry for muddy early version
    Lovely Lili
    We have a cat called Gwynvor who looks just like that!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

@jonoslack, thanks she is rescue kitty, my Shadow Cat, Trippy follows me everywhere, she even brave the shower (if only for a second)
    Gwynvor is a lovely name

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joan View Post
    This looks very good, Lili. But, for me, the color version provides some additional pizzazz that I like even better.
    Ack!
    Missed this post Joan, sorry!
    Thanks
    I like both, but the image I Saw originally was the color one, it called to me as we drove by.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Processed this one a bit

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am impressed by the detail in this one for sure
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Guy,
    Thank you
    I am impressed by the lenses, camera and sensor.
    Its a joy to use

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lili, your last two pix are superb. The one of the cat is really delightful - we had a 'rescue' cat once - its mother left it on our doorstep - have you ever tried bottle feeding a tiny kitten?
    Sláinte

Robert.

GLJ

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I think the bokeh sweethearts are there,
    I'm not so sure.

Remember Jono, I'm becoming to bokeh, what you are to sharp corners. I think we need to be careful what we're talking about in terms of 'bokeh'.
    Not that I want to be coming over (as I seem to be!) in a particularly negative way, but working on the assumption that this forum has some people of ... er ... a more discerning nature than in some other places, then I think its only right to point out that a number of olympus lenses exhibit less than stellar OOF rendering when compared to other optical formulas (probably because they have chosen optimisation in other areas of the design), and I've seen enough examples posted even from the 35-100 to know that the top pro lenses can also show it - at least in certain situations.
    As an illustration .. I wouldn't consider the old 50mm f1.4 AFd Nikkor a 'bokeh sweetheart' either, even if it has got a fairly wide aperture.
    YMMV of course ... hey ... I happen to like mirror lenses for some things :-)

G.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    Lili, your last two pix are superb. The one of the cat is really delightful - we had a 'rescue' cat once - its mother left it on our doorstep - have you ever tried bottle feeding a tiny kitten?
    Thanks Bertie!!!
    Not had the pleasure yet of bootle feeding such a tiny Cat yet.
    However we do feed the strays in our area and the Mom's have introduced us to their Baby's. They bring them by when we are out, to get fed and to show them where the Nice Humans That Feed Us are

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Joan just read your comment , too late. I am not so sure about the 40-150 either read the reviews and they are okay. I may sell it if it does not work at least it was cheap reason I just said heck with it. I think with 10 percent off it was 269.00. Worth a shot

What is the best fast lens least in like 24,25 and 30mm there are a couple at 1.4
    I think you'll be surprised that it is pretty darned good and so light that it's worth carrying around for the long shots. Certainly worth the tiny price tag.

If I had choose a fast lens, I would definitely go for the PanaLeica 25 1.4. It's a stunner IMO, and I want it, BAD!
    Regards,
    Joan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lili, I love the train shot, especially with your new PP. I'd print that one BIG! Nice job on the kitty photo, too!
    Regards,
    Joan

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Joan!
    While I find the PanaLaice 25/1.4 fascinating, I went with the 25mm 'pancake'

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi There
    Quote Originally Posted by GLJ View Post
    I'm not so sure.

Remember Jono, I'm becoming to bokeh, what you are to sharp corners. I think we need to be careful what we're talking about in terms of 'bokeh'.
    Not that I want to be coming over (as I seem to be!) in a particularly negative way, but working on the assumption that this forum has some people of ... er ... a more discerning nature than in some other places, then I think its only right to point out that a number of olympus lenses exhibit less than stellar OOF rendering when compared to other optical formulas (probably because they have chosen optimisation in other areas of the design), and I've seen enough examples posted even from the 35-100 to know that the top pro lenses can also show it - at least in certain situations.
    I quite agree - they aren't perfect . . . but for my purposes, when shooting 4:3 I'm aiming for larger depth of field most of the time

As an illustration .. I wouldn't consider the old 50mm f1.4 AFd Nikkor a 'bokeh sweetheart' either, even if it has got a fairly wide aperture.

G.
    I owned that nikkor for about a week - the discovery of how sharp it is rapidly being superceded by the bokeh. Much worse (IMHO) than the Olympus lenses . . but I do take on board the principle

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Lili,

I love your shots here...especially the colour horse and the train - really sharp and vibrant!

Keep going! I'll be back to see more

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Brian, I am really liking this little camera, ordered the pancake too, in for a penny and all that, eh?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not so sure.

G.
    can only agree about the wider DoF disposition of FT gear, but there is the Sigma 50/1.4 available now which is 100mm EFL, Im optimistic it will add well to the mix, but i havent seen any in use yet on FT. However from the darkside.....
    http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma_50_1p4_c16/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Question on the 410 ,420, 510 and 520 raws affected by any in camera settings like sharpness, contrast or anything like that. Or better said are the Raws left alone

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Question on the 410 ,420, 510 and 520 raws affected by any in camera settings like sharpness, contrast or anything like that. Or better said are the Raws left alone
    Hi Guy
    Brian may know better, but as far as I'm aware the RAW files are 'left alone' as you say!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jono , just a little soft and wondering what it is , still getting through the settings and I may have something off also with regards to focusing. I have yet to read a manual.

I may have to add more sharpening than I am used too, which seems normal given the difference between MF and 4/3rds so I may have to increase that. These are at my normal settings in C1 Pro. Also the house the highlights are hot so in C1 i have a lot of elbow room to work it better, which i expected it not to have that DR like MF. Trying to balance it and maybe harder for me since i am used too MF . i need to get my head wrapped around that to which is perfectly normal

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just need to get out and play more but I like it. It is a fun camera and cheap to boot. I really want Mikes Pan/Leica 14-150. I bet that is a kick *** lens

Post Thanks / Like

yes i think they are Guy
    you can change them of course in the RAW image editor, but the RAW's will set to what are normally jpeg settings from within the camera. I will try to find out which settings affect RAW output.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Riley i had a feeling something is up with that. I have everything off right now but with some good sharpening it is coming to life

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW in C1 Pro I can control CA and Purple fringing and correct for that. Pretty cool features.I can also vignette the corners. New features

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Is looking good Guy
    Not played with Oly RAW enough yet to answer your original question tho

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Heavily vignetting on the corners . I love this tool . Glad they put it in

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is looking good Guy
    Not played with Oly RAW enough yet to answer your original question tho
    Thanks Lili, you know me we will figure it out together. I live for this stuff.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sharpening and hot highlights
    Hi Guy
    They do need sharpening - the E3 files are the same, but they do take it.

My first rule with exposure is to expose for the highlights, the dynamic range isn't bad, and you can pull details from the shadows without too much noise, but once a hightlight is gone . . . it's gone.

Of course, it's quite the opposite in low light.

I have the E3 set to -1/3 for normal bright daylight, and +1/3 for 800 ISO, +2/3 if I go higher than that.

I had the 14-150, and it's a great lens . . . but I got rid of it because I liked the 12-60 better, and of course there is stabilisation in the lens anyway.
    Each to his own!
    Looks like your having fun!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have my eye on the 12- 60 also and may switch would like wider. Yes looks like we will have to protect from highlight blowing

Post Thanks / Like

I have my eye on the 12- 60 also and may switch would like wider. Yes looks like we will have to protect from highlight blowing
    highlights are an issue with the DR/metering oriented to the darkside

trouble is if you have a -1/3 stop disposition to protect your highlights then you compromise higher iso b/se it introduces more noise. Thats why Jono is going +1/3 stop for 800iso, and going + more for higher iso. Some folks add a stop to iso3200.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great stuff. Man i love this place, learn something everyday. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

ok i chased the inf on RAW processing and this is what I found, It pertains to Olympus bundled software, but I guess if C1 is a more sophisticated RAW processor it might be following the same route.

the author of this is usually right on the money

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=40275

from EB
    "If you use an Olympus RAW developer you'll still have to be careful because it will use the camera settings as the default RAW development settings."

and yes I remember it best b/se I was wrong at the time....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Awesome it must be I just need to be a little more aggressive with sharpening with C1 than

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    ok i chased the inf on RAW processing and this is what I found, It pertains to Olympus bundled software, but I guess if C1 is a more sophisticated RAW processor it might be following the same route.

the author of this is usually right on the money

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=40275

from EB
    "If you use an Olympus RAW developer you'll still have to be careful because it will use the camera settings as the default RAW development settings."

and yes I remember it best b/se I was wrong at the time....
    HI Riley
    C1 will almost certainly NOT use these settings - basically Olympus Raw developer behaves in the same way as the in camera raw / jpg conversion. As far as I'm aware no other RAW developer will use these settings.

I think the bright weather underexpose and high ISO overexpose is really true of all cameras (at least, all the ones I've used). I think it's why the D3/D700 have a tendency for very bright exposures as default. The old 'expose to the right' mantra - which is fine EXCEPT in bright contrasty conditions.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Awesome it must be I just need to be a little more aggressive with sharpening with C1 than
    I've also been out with the new 520. This is from a jpg processed in LR2 with 'sharpen landscape' preset - is it sharp enough?
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like

no idea mysef Jono,
    Im on the hunt for editing software and will probably look at Bibble and C1 over the next week or so, although on briefly looking at Bibble seems it wont take 8bf plugins. I never use the Olympus stuff except for lens/flash/body firmware updates its just to darn slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've also been out with the new 520. This is from a jpg processed in LR2 with 'sharpen landscape' preset - is it sharp enough?
    Looking good Bertie .

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

no idea mysef Jono,
    Im on the hunt for editing software and will probably look at Bibble and C1 over the next week or so, although on briefly looking at Bibble seems it wont take 8bf plugins. I never use the Olympus stuff except for lens/flash/body firmware updates its just to darn slow.
    Me too
    If I can't use Aperture I don't use the camera

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've found the Canon 5D to be simply too heavy for me to hold up or even carry around, and I use it almost exclusively on a tripod. However, the Oly 520 has given me back the ability to use an SLR handheld. Here's a couple of pix, taken at dawn yesterday and today, one with the 5D [tripod] and one with the 520 [handheld]. Both RAW processed identically in LR2 [including input sharpening, but not output sharpening], and the 520 is cropped to 3:2. I'm impressed with the quality of the 520. Maybe not a fair test, conditions not identical, but which is which?

And apologies to Lili for hijacking what was her thread!
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Top Oly. Yes sorry Lili we went off the wagon on you.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've found the Canon 5D to be simply too heavy for me to hold up or even carry around, and I use it almost exclusively on a tripod. However, the Oly 520 has given me back the ability to use an SLR handheld. Here's a couple of pix, taken at dawn yesterday and today, one with the 5D [tripod] and one with the 520 [handheld]. Both RAW processed identically in LR2 [including input sharpening, but not output sharpening], and the 520 is cropped to 3:2. I'm impressed with the quality of the 520. Maybe not a fair test, conditions not identical, but which is which?

And apologies to Lili for hijacking what was her thread!
    Bottom Oly

and sorry Lili . . . all you Olympus people!

Just this guy you know

GLJ

can only agree about the wider DoF disposition of FT gear,
    Except that's not at all what I'm talking about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Top Canon, bottom Oly.
    So I win - I can handhold as well as a tripod. Try again later, tho' doesn't look promising.
    Sláinte

Robert.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL, is ok to have hijacked *my* thread
    I have learned a lot from the OT discussions

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL, is ok to have hijacked *my* thread
    I have learned a lot from the OT discussions
    BTW I may delay my Pancake lens a bit, helping a friend out with Vet bills

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations Guy - I have and love the 14-150mm OIS, the better option to complement this (future) lens for your E-520 may be the new ZD 9-18... super sharp, very compact and lightweight - perfectly matched to the E-520.

Here are a couple of shots taken yesterday with the E-520 + ZD 9-18 combination, a beautifully lightweight, compact and stabilised combination!

E-520 + ZD 9-18
    1/60s f/8.0 at 9.0mm iso100

1/400s f/8.0 at 14.0mm iso100

And a couple from our recent Safari Group "Open House London" event - using the E-420 + 14-150 OIS combination.

E-420 + PL 14-150mm OIS
    1/800s f/4.2 at 28.0mm iso100

1/500s f/4.9 at 51.0mm iso100

We have a nice report from the Open House London event, which you can register to download here :
    Register here to receive our Olympus Safari Group Field Reports

Kind Regards

Brian

Kind Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Brian Mosley; 18th October 2008 at 01:08.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Man that 9-18 looks nice. Okay I could kick myself , left camera home and going to a hot rod show in Lake havasu. Bummed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was just reading about Jono's soft corners with his Sony A900 - it's easy to take ZD lens quality for granted, but here's a shot from this afternoon, and a lower right corner crop at 100%

E-520 + ZD 9-18mm
    1/50s f/6.3 at 9.0mm iso800

100% crop, lower right corner.

Kind Regards

Brian