The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

E

Easyki

thanks, Easyki ! I'm using cheap adapters from Ebay, the cheapest I can find. I once bought expensive ones from Fotodiox (the pro-stuff with a shift mechanism and a tripod collar) and they were no good at all !

C U
Rafael

Thanks for replying Rafael! I already had a look on eBay, there's a huge choice, I wasn't aware of that! Thanks for your information, I going to order me one at about 27 euro. Can't go wrong I suppose ;);)

Kind regards
Ki

Jonas

(...)
What would swing it for me as far as the OMD is concerned is if anyone can post some full size jpgs or links to them, of low light shots so I can see what noise levels and resolution is like at iso 1600. Does anyone have anything they can post?

LouisB
Hi Louis,

Why not just make some use of what's already posted. You can get all the images you want from DPR for example.

DHart

Just got my black E-M5. After a short time using this fantastic camera, my plan is to divest myself of my G3, GH2, and E-PL3 and get a second E-M5.

Often I like to shoot with two bodies on straps so I don't have to do much lens swapping. I think two E-M5's will really do the trick. A few shots from the new body.

E-M5 with P-L Summicron 25/1.4

E-M5 with Zuiko 9-18

E-M5 with Panasonic 7-14

E-M5 with Panasonic 14-140 ~ Baraboo, Wisconsin

E-M5 with Panasonic 7-14

E-M5 with P-L Summicron 25/1.4 (visually interesting old bus conversion in a campground I stayed at recently)

Last edited:

DHart

What would swing it for me as far as the OMD is concerned is if anyone can post some full size jpgs or links to them, of low light shots so I can see what noise levels and resolution is like at iso 1600. Does anyone have anything they can post?

LouisB
Louis... I haven't shot the E-M5 at high ISO much, as yet, but this grab shot in my motorhome was at ISO 3200 with the Zuiko 9-18 lens - no noise reduction of any kind has been applied.

I'm not sure if the E-M5 yields as clean high ISO images as the G3 does, but it's close if it isn't quite there.

For me, Olympus has finally put together what has LONG been needed from their brand - a body with built-in EVF, tilting LCD screen, good controls, superb IBIS, and reasonably good high-IOS performance - all in one body. I must commend Oly on the controls on this camera which while not perfect, are very good. This body is a noteworthy high point for the m4/3 format and brings me to a point of transferring over from preferred Panasonic bodies over to Olympus. I will be quite content shooting with two E-M5 bodies and a nice assortment of Pany, Oly, and legacy lenses.

The E-M5 , by the way, by virtue of the superb 5-axis IBIS and the controls, makes using legacy glass really great to work with on this camera!

Last edited:

Howard

I feel that the quality of most of the photos posted in this thread are very good with some being excellent, but to my eye they are a small quality step behind those taken with photos taken the Fuji X100 posted on this website. That said at this time, I am committed to 4/3; I like the IQ, light weight and the ability to use multiple lenses. One of my favorite lenses is the Olympus 45 1.8. If I was replacing my Panasonic G3 today, it would be with an OMD.

DHart

While some other formats offer a bit better IQ than the G3 and E-M5 do, the overwhelming advantage of m4/3 for me is the vast array of excellent lenses, the many continually appearing bodies, and the fact that two different, competing, companies produce compatible system lenses and bodies. m4/3 has matured into a wonderful system. When we reach the point of fast telephoto lenses and new fast, constant aperture zooms, the system will really be quite mature.

Today's IQ available from the G3 and the E-M5 bodies is truly excellent indeed, so I have no temptation whatsoever to switch to other offerings (NEX, X100, etc) for a slight increase in IQ that for most of my intended personal use will hardly be apparent.

When working professionally, I still work with the 5DMkII and L-glass.

But for everything else - all my personal and travel photography (I've been traveling constantly, playing tourist, since November), m4/3 is totally satisfying and more than meets such needs.

Last edited:

biglouis

Louis... I haven't shot the E-M5 at high ISO much, as yet, but this grab shot in my motorhome was at ISO 3200 with the Zuiko 9-18 lens - no noise reduction of any kind has been applied.

I'm not sure if the E-M5 yields as clean high ISO images as the G3 does, but it's close if it isn't quite there.

For me, Olympus has finally put together what has LONG been needed from their brand - a body with built-in EVF, tilting LCD screen, good controls, superb IBIS, and reasonably good high-IOS performance - all in one body. I must commend Oly on the controls on this camera which while not perfect, are very good. This body is a noteworthy high point for the m4/3 format and brings me to a point of transferring over from preferred Panasonic bodies over to Olympus. I will be quite content shooting with two E-M5 bodies and a nice assortment of Pany, Oly, and legacy lenses.

The E-M5 , by the way, by virtue of the superb 5-axis IBIS and the controls, makes using legacy glass really great to work with on this camera!
Don

Thanks for the post. In fact this is an interesting picture to me. I am trying to remain with m43rds for bird photography. I've reached the limits with my GH-2 as the resolution is really affected by noise at above 1250. It is very hit and miss at 1600. Seeing how your picture resolves the hairs on your dogs face is quite instructive. Not sure how the GH-2 would cope at that level. Wouldn't mind seeing a 100% crop from the middle!

Thanks again. I agree it is a very attractive proposition as a camera. Even with the added handgrip it would appear to be still very small which is a plus to me owing to my aging back!

LouisB

Terry

Glenn,
The shots look gook. Not sure on the first two how warm the coloring looks in that building.There is a white balance setting to cool down the color a bit under lower indoor lights. I have the warm color turned off. If you have it on, I would experiment with the same scene to see what you get on vs off.

I particularly like the last shot with your framing.

Knorp

Here are some of my shots using the E-M5 and Pana 100-300 today at a town veteran's parade:
How cool is that: doing portraits with the humble Pana 100-300 !
I think they're excellent, Amin.

Kind regards.

DHart

Here are some of my shots using the E-M5 and Pana 100-300 today at a town veteran's parade
Amin.... I've never felt the need for the 100-300 as I have always felt that the reach beyond my 14-140 was too far for anything I shoot. What was the general focal length for these images?

Seeing these images of yours has given me a new appreciation for uber-telephoto shooting of general subjects. I'm heading off to see what one of these is going to set me back! :eek: :)

You have captured some wonderful "peaks" of the moment as well. Nice job!

Amin

Many thanks, Bart, David and Don.

Don, those were at 300, 100, 188, 300, 100, 300, and 300mm, respectively.

It was a lot of fun using that lens and camera at the parade.

jonoslack

Here are some of my shots using the E-M5 and Pana 100-300 today at a town veteran's parade:
HI Amin
I'm with everybody else here - these are great. This lens can be picked up at perfectly sensible prices secondhand (I think mine was £325)

What with the new 12-35 . . .

12-35 f2.8
45 f1.8 (or 45 PL macro)
75 f1.8
100-300

That represents a pretty stunning range, all good quality, in a pretty small bag. Which would be nothing if the quality wasn't up to it, but at last, it seems that it is.

all the best