The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

Annna T

almost finished my prototype grip for the OMD. expect to post a pic tomorrow:

details:
does not block access to battery or card
has integral thread hole for tripod mount, on lens centerline;
has integral base profile to fit RRS clamps
all metal construction, will be in production asap (2weeks) target price $150
Which color will it be ? will it fit well with the black/silver body too ?

TIA for your answer.

jlm

Workshop Member
made from aluminum, can be black or clear anodized, my body is silver, either looks good, I prefer black. pic up soon!

jlm

Workshop Member
the production unit prototype, black anodized, shown attached to RRS tripod head

just on the camera; note grip allows the second finger to rest on top for accessing the dial with the forefinger free to trip the shutter

the grip itself

jlm

Workshop Member
bottom view, showing battery door is accessible, extra 1/4-20 hole for standard tipod mount, centered on lens.
these are going into production next week, should be ready to ship june 6

jlm

Workshop Member
i did spend a bit of time shaping and contouring the grip for a good fit and workability, using the Nex and Lumix as examples, and trying it out on a variety of hand sizes

looks like i can offer them for $110

Last edited:

250swb

OMD and 12- 50mm kit lens. It was very dark so used 2000 ISO, I didn't have a tripod. Any camera I have had up to this point and the shot would have been junk. Seen larger and all the detail is crisp and the tonal range is smooth and rich, hence going for a high key treatment to show it off. Post processing with Silver Efex Pro 2.

Steve

jonoslack

Back home now . . but echoes of Cornwall are still resonating.

Carn Euny:

Nanjizal:

Emma's motor

Exif intact . . . if the lens says none . . .then it's the Leica R 60 elmarit

ptomsu

Workshop Member
bottom view, showing battery door is accessible, extra 1/4-20 hole for standard tipod mount, centered on lens.
these are going into production next week, should be ready to ship june 6

Really like it!

Please send link how to order!

Many thanks

Peter

Paratom

Here are my initial thoughts on the OM-D:
-feels nice and solid in the hand specially with the upper part of the handgrip (which I plan to use all the time); For my taste just the right size to feel like a real camera
-with the weather sealing and sturdy built this will be my "outdoor in rough conditions or bad weather camera"
-user interface seems fine to me-even though still too many options and buttons for my personal taste
-nice snappy fast AF
-usefull range of the 12-50 - even though I wish it was slightly faster-and they should have included the hood in the price
-the sound of the ibis...I think I got used to it
-I still had the 20/1.7 from earlier m4/3 time (and my wife still has a gh1) and must say the 20 is a great focal length for my taste. Plus small, plus fast. Could become my favortite lens for the om-d.
-IQ-looks fine so far but I really dont have enough experience yet

jonoslack

One of the best I have seen! Beautiful!:)
Thank you Vivek - only one or two foxgloves out - but they're so majestic!

It's great to suddenly (almost out of nowhere) to have a camera with a good selection of lenses.

The little 25 f1.4 is certainly no slouch.

all the best

Knorp

My "Fun with the Olympus OMD" just started off.
Not much to show for yet, but here's a comparison to the K5.

Kind regards.

Brian Mosley

Darn it, ever since the MM work where someone complained about sharpening artifacts and moire I've been seeing it everywhere! :banghead:

That's a particularly interesting comparison shot - the Pentax looks really nice there... I don't think I'll be using the grips that often on the E-M5, but useful with larger lenses.

Cheers

Brian