The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

Jonas

Here's one from today. I visited our railway station as I wanted to exchange some money. Lo and behold, the government has bought one of the well known Weeping Girls sculptures by Laura Ford (UK) and placed it in one of the areas where people pass on their way to the trains:

I may be a complainer always wishing for something more but I carry around my E-M5 daily having fun with it. The image above is taken with the micro version of the Panasonic 25/1.4, wide open.

jonoslack

My "Fun with the Olympus OMD" just started off.
Not much to show for yet, but here's a comparison to the K5.

Kind regards.
So! you got a chrome one - congratulations.
I await your feelings with baited breath!

all the best
Jono

Knorp

As tradition has it, manuals are to be avoided.
So I set off today in that spirit only to find the camera playing tricks on me.
Decided not bother too much and just fired away.
Here a some with the PL 45/2.8

All the best.

Terry

Bart,
Love the snail and the iris....sad to say I haven't gotten out yet today. Busy playing with flowers here.....

Knorp

Bart,
Love the snail and the iris....sad to say I haven't gotten out yet today. Busy playing with flowers here.....
Thanks Terry, the weather has been dreadful here today.
Though the camera might be weather-sealed that doesn't apply to me I'm afraid.
Have fun with the flowers and I take it you're shooting them, not arranging them, right ?

Kind regards.

Terry

Thanks Terry, the weather has been dreadful here today.
Though the camera might be weather-sealed that doesn't apply to me I'm afraid.
Have fun with the flowers and I take it you're shooting them, not arranging them, right ?

Kind regards.
Well I don't really have a garden here in the middle of the city so I have to cope with the flowers I bought at the market yesterday :eek: . The sunshine is real...

Terry

Yup,
All with the 60 macro....it is a keeper. Easy to focus and for the most part (except for some of the tiny detail) I don't need to magnify with the lens.

Diane B

Definitely a keeper--for sure. Loved them and Bart's too. I have the 45/2.8 and though breezy conditions and sticking around the farm (where I should have been able to find more macros LOL) played with mine too--but on a G3.

jonoslack

HI Diane
you shouldn't be looking around here - it can be expensive! The real crucial issue that dawned on me today is that, for longer lenses, the IBIS also steadies the viewfinder, so that for manual focus you can half press the shutter (image stabilises) then manual focus and press the shutter - it works very well.

Hi Bart
Weather here ghastly as well (specially for the Jubilee celebrations). I'm not waterproof either, but I have one of those coat thingies which is :p

. . . but here are a couple with the OMD and the Leica R 180 f2.8 APO.

p.s. I'm glad these are on a new page, as they aren't as good as yours and Terry's :)

Terry

Jono -

The last one is my favorite. I did watch the Queen and family cruising on the royal barge. I knew there was a royal yacht. Never saw the barge before. :LOL:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
As tradition has it, manuals are to be avoided.
So I set off today in that spirit only to find the camera playing tricks on me.
Decided not bother too much and just fired away.
Here a some with the PL 45/2.8
It seems quite clear that you have no need for a manual. These look fantastic :thumbs:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
HI Diane
you shouldn't be looking around here - it can be expensive! The real crucial issue that dawned on me today is that, for longer lenses, the IBIS also steadies the viewfinder, so that for manual focus you can half press the shutter (image stabilises) then manual focus and press the shutter - it works very well.

Hi Bart
Weather here ghastly as well (specially for the Jubilee celebrations). I'm not waterproof either, but I have one of those coat thingies which is :p

. . . but here are a couple with the OMD and the Leica R 180 f2.8 APO.

p.s. I'm glad these are on a new page, as they aren't as good as yours and Terry's :)
I've heard about the Olympus Blue, but Olympus Green? Great photos. If this is what you can make out of awful weather, I'll come over to grab some of it. Beautiful photos!

jonoslack

I've heard about the Olympus Blue, but Olympus Green? Great photos. If this is what you can make out of awful weather, I'll come over to grab some of it. Beautiful photos!
Thank you.
When do you get yours? (it would be wonderful to see you posting around here).

From my point of view, day by day, I realise new things to like about the camera, and fewer things to dislike. Viewfinder IBIS stabilisation is a real winner - especially with MF lenses. I thought the poor tracking focus was going to be a problem, but the AF is so fast, you can just follow moving objects and mash the shutter at the right moment (surfing snaps with the 100-300 proved the point). The grip is also splendid - and really well thought out.

It's good enough that all my dSLR and NEX kit is heading for ebay.

all the best

les

Reply to Terry...
Not really relevant to the OM-D, which is great by the way, but......
In keeping with the times we live in, the Royal Yacht was de-commissioned a few years back, and is now laid up as a museum piece. You can visit it in Sunny Leith (where I was brought up) - the Tourist Board would love to have you.
I understand the 'barge' used today is a modern river tours vessel, chartered then 'gold plated and velveted' for the event. Still, despite the weather, it all looked as if it was quite a spectacle.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you.
When do you get yours? (it would be wonderful to see you posting around here).
I was at the shop and bought one a couple of days ago... for a friend of mine :(
I could get one on the next delivery, but I'm afraid I've spent a bit too much on the GX680 and lenses (and viewfinders and backs and film and... what started out rather reasonably has become rather expensive, but fun :) ). I'll see what I can manage after I've paid the rent, an airline ticket to Europe and stocked up on oat for the coming month's menu of porridge and stuff that grow along the roads around here :ROTFL:

Knorp

It seems quite clear that you have no need for a manual. These look fantastic :thumbs:
Thank you Jorgen, but I'm afraid I did something foolish: I changed (without) knowing what I was doing all sorts of menu settings.
Especially the AF part turned out to be upset by this lack of common sense ... :cussing:
The focus point was all over the frame except for the place where I wanted it and so in the end I had to refer back to 'manual' focus.
Which is what I normally do with the M's anyway ... :eek:

Now where is that darn manual ... :facesmack:

All the best.

Knorp

Hi Bart
[/IMG]
Oh yes, I have those thingies too, but my mood hasn't ... :rolleyes: