The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Congratulations, like to know what you think about this camera.
_________
Manouch
Hi Manouch,

The capabilities are inspiring. My daughter was in a performance today, and I took this with a slow zoom (Oly 75-300). This is 171mm, 1/125 sec, f/5.9, ISO 3200:

That's 171 REAL millimeters, or 342 FAKE millimeters, and no cropping. I could not have done that with the M9:ROTFL:

Of course, a modern high-end Nikon or Canon could do it, but this is such a small, reasonably inexpensive package. Well, inexpensive except that I am rapidly acquiring lenses. :loco:

Handling is delightful, although I still get lost in the (truly terrible) UI and keep hitting random buttons until I get back to a familiar screen.

Next experiment: parnoramas. :grin:

Best,

Matt

Last edited:
B

brian1208

still exploring the boundaries of sanity using this lovely little camera, this time with the oly 75-300 on the front.
Looking for test subjects I spotted a fly on a Passion Flower growing on our Arbour and took a few quick shots in SAF / aperture priority mode with the focus point reduced to minimal size.
This image is as cropped to aorund 970 pixels on the longest side.
It won't replace a proper macro lens but its not a bad showing for a hand-held shot at 215mm FL (effective 430mm FOV in 35mm terms)

Rand47

Question for Jono

Hi Jono,

I've been admiring your photos from the OMD, A77 & K-5.

Could you give us your sense of these cameras compared to one another?
If you were to choose only one which would it be?

Thanks for your insight...
Rand

scho

A few shots taken today at the dragon boat festival. OMD with Contax G 90mm f/2.8 Sonnar.

There was also a little hula dancing at the festival.

Last edited:

JMaher

I just returned from a two week vacation in Italy. I took the OM-D, the 12-50, 25 1.4 and the 45. The 45 never came out of my bag even though I love that focal length. The other two just seemed more suitable for vacation snaps. I'll post a few as I get to processing them.

Three from Milan.

Jim

B

brian1208

that 2nd shot of the glass roof is stunning (the others are pretty darned good too :) )

scho

Carl....I keep forgetting how sharp this lens is. Nice capture.

I am still waiting for mine to come back from the conversion.

R
Thanks Rich. I still haven't sent my lenses in for conversion, but planning on doing that. A real joy to use that 90 on the OMD with IBIS. Should be even better in an M mount.

djonesii

Workshop Member
The first time that I had the OM-D in the studio ...

Shooting in a workshop setting with a model that was not really my style in a posing setting that I really don't like, but the studio owner needed a spot filled due to a last minute cancel, and I got a deal .... such a rough life ...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12635071/P7120792.jpg
( No Naughty bits hanging out, but still NSFW )

The full set can be found at:

http://www.private.jonesii.net/2012%2007%2012%20Sarah/index.html

user = Guest ( capital G matters )
pass = matrix.

This was under hot lights, and not at all what I shoot normally, the 25/45/9-18 trio did a really good job. Way fun shooting with such a light rig. IQ is at least as good as if not better than D300 with good Nikon glass. However, the P30+ is in a different league!

Dave