The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
HI Matt
I've been doing the same today (snaps later). 300 (read 600mm) hand held at 1/200th second and pin sharp. Actually, I've not found focus too hard either, using the small focus point.

It's just such good fun, and the results are absolutely fine.
Ah, thanks Jono, I should try that. I've been doing the "tap on the screen to focus and capture" method, but I'll try the 300mm "remote macro". :cool:

--Matt

kweide

Come on, don´t be shy, let´s play a bit ....

Olympus E-M5 + Summilux 25,noNR
ISO200 @ f1.4, 1/1600 second, 25 mm focal length​

B

brian1208

I love those two cat pics Jono & Jim, ours have long gone through the "cat-flap in the sky" but that is such typical behaviour and shown nicely too - thanks

jonoslack

Wandering around the garden in the sunshine (really!)
Some with the 80-200 Leica R f4, the rest with the Panny 100-300
Perhaps you can tell which are which (exif should be there)

Poppy Heads

Lying in Wait

Gingko

See Green

Seed Heads

Diagonal flower

Coming in to Land

Pillar Rose

f6cvalkyrie

this evening, with the OM-D and the Zoomar "Sport Zoomatar" 600/5.6
iso6400 1/40sec on tripod with IBIS1 on

C U,
Rafael

B

brian1208

I've been having some fun playing with the friendly bees in my garden. I have a passion for bee macro photography and am finding that the EM5 + kit lens makes a suprisingly competent set-up for this use (so much so that I am considering selling my canon 100 LIS macro lens, much to my suprise)

using the kit flash

using a used FL36 I've just acquired

Hoverfly eyes (full crop not resized)

smartwombat

so much so that I am considering selling my canon 100 LIS macro lens, much to my suprise
And I was thinking of buying a 100 L IS macro lens one day :)
Your pictures inspire me to go out and try again with the OM-D and 12-50.

I'm recovering well from the surgery, my grip strength is up from 11kg to 14kg this month, but I still can't lift the 1DSmkII, let alone with a lens attached.
Which is why I ought the OM-D in the 1st place, 4 days of shooting left my wrist in agony for two days, even with the OM-D.

B

brian1208

I started out down the EM5 route because as I get older (70+) I'm getting a bit of arthritis in hands, shoulders and neck such that the weight of the 5Dmk2 + even the 100mm LIS macro causes me problems both during and particularly after a shoot. (its even worse if I stick the 70-300LIS or my siggie 400 f5.6 on)

I traded my back-up 60D + a couple of less used lenses for the EM5 and now have a bag with body + 4 lenses that is less weighty than the 5Dmk2 + 70-300LIS

Its a magic system if you suffer from these sorts of problems in my experience, I just wish it would do Birds in Flight as well as it does Bees in Flight :)

GaryAyala

Some action shoots. This was posted on another thread, but I thought it might be interesting /useful here as well:

Youth Soccer:

While I think I did okay, the camera, when compared to a dSLR, the OM-D was not in the same league regarding C-AF. The C-AF on the Oly simply does not work, the images were shot with S-AF and the operator pumping the focus button. The EVF sucks when compared to a dSLR optical. but if one continued to follow the action with both eyes open, using the right when the EVF refreshed and the left between refreshes, one could manage. This was five year olds, dunno if I could shoot something faster like seven year olds with the OM-D.

The more I work with the OM-D, the easier it is to get the shots I want. Hopefully I'm only an update or two away from a viable C-AF.

The DOF, as expected, is much more distracting due to lack of fast long lenses, multiplied by the small sensor, than shooting with dSLR's. When the new Pany 35-100 and the Oly 75 much of the detailed DOF should bokeh away.

Gary