Site Sponsors
Page 5 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with the Olympus OMD

Easyki

Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD

Quote Originally Posted by f6cvalkyrie View Post
    thanks, Easyki ! I'm using cheap adapters from Ebay, the cheapest I can find. I once bought expensive ones from Fotodiox (the pro-stuff with a shift mechanism and a tripod collar) and they were no good at all !

C U
    Rafael

Thanks for replying Rafael! I already had a look on eBay, there's a huge choice, I wasn't aware of that! Thanks for your information, I going to order me one at about 27 euro. Can't go wrong I suppose

Kind regards
    Ki
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

45 1.8

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    (...)
    What would swing it for me as far as the OMD is concerned is if anyone can post some full size jpgs or links to them, of low light shots so I can see what noise levels and resolution is like at iso 1600. Does anyone have anything they can post?

LouisB
    Hi Louis,

Why not just make some use of what's already posted. You can get all the images you want from DPR for example.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got my black E-M5. After a short time using this fantastic camera, my plan is to divest myself of my G3, GH2, and E-PL3 and get a second E-M5.

Often I like to shoot with two bodies on straps so I don't have to do much lens swapping. I think two E-M5's will really do the trick. A few shots from the new body.

E-M5 with P-L Summicron 25/1.4

E-M5 with Zuiko 9-18

E-M5 with Panasonic 7-14

E-M5 with Panasonic 14-140 ~ Baraboo, Wisconsin

E-M5 with Panasonic 7-14

E-M5 with P-L Summicron 25/1.4 (visually interesting old bus conversion in a campground I stayed at recently)
    Last edited by DHart; 19th May 2012 at 11:03.
    Don

"Be kind, everyone you encounter is fighting battles you have no awareness of."
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

bahamot

Shot with 12-50mm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    What would swing it for me as far as the OMD is concerned is if anyone can post some full size jpgs or links to them, of low light shots so I can see what noise levels and resolution is like at iso 1600. Does anyone have anything they can post?

LouisB
    Louis... I haven't shot the E-M5 at high ISO much, as yet, but this grab shot in my motorhome was at ISO 3200 with the Zuiko 9-18 lens - no noise reduction of any kind has been applied.

I'm not sure if the E-M5 yields as clean high ISO images as the G3 does, but it's close if it isn't quite there.

For me, Olympus has finally put together what has LONG been needed from their brand - a body with built-in EVF, tilting LCD screen, good controls, superb IBIS, and reasonably good high-IOS performance - all in one body. I must commend Oly on the controls on this camera which while not perfect, are very good. This body is a noteworthy high point for the m4/3 format and brings me to a point of transferring over from preferred Panasonic bodies over to Olympus. I will be quite content shooting with two E-M5 bodies and a nice assortment of Pany, Oly, and legacy lenses.

The E-M5 , by the way, by virtue of the superb 5-axis IBIS and the controls, makes using legacy glass really great to work with on this camera!
    Last edited by DHart; 19th May 2012 at 17:00.
    Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I feel that the quality of most of the photos posted in this thread are very good with some being excellent, but to my eye they are a small quality step behind those taken with photos taken the Fuji X100 posted on this website. That said at this time, I am committed to 4/3; I like the IQ, light weight and the ability to use multiple lenses. One of my favorite lenses is the Olympus 45 1.8. If I was replacing my Panasonic G3 today, it would be with an OMD.

Post Thanks / Like

While some other formats offer a bit better IQ than the G3 and E-M5 do, the overwhelming advantage of m4/3 for me is the vast array of excellent lenses, the many continually appearing bodies, and the fact that two different, competing, companies produce compatible system lenses and bodies. m4/3 has matured into a wonderful system. When we reach the point of fast telephoto lenses and new fast, constant aperture zooms, the system will really be quite mature.

Today's IQ available from the G3 and the E-M5 bodies is truly excellent indeed, so I have no temptation whatsoever to switch to other offerings (NEX, X100, etc) for a slight increase in IQ that for most of my intended personal use will hardly be apparent.

When working professionally, I still work with the 5DMkII and L-glass.

But for everything else - all my personal and travel photography (I've been traveling constantly, playing tourist, since November), m4/3 is totally satisfying and more than meets such needs.
    Last edited by DHart; 19th May 2012 at 16:56.
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

Schneider APO Componon 90/4.5 on the E-M5:

_5190085_img by photosmart42, on Flickr

_5190042_img by photosmart42, on Flickr

_5190036_img by photosmart42, on Flickr
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Chris

bahamot

First wide angle attempt ([email protected]):

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    Louis... I haven't shot the E-M5 at high ISO much, as yet, but this grab shot in my motorhome was at ISO 3200 with the Zuiko 9-18 lens - no noise reduction of any kind has been applied.

I'm not sure if the E-M5 yields as clean high ISO images as the G3 does, but it's close if it isn't quite there.

For me, Olympus has finally put together what has LONG been needed from their brand - a body with built-in EVF, tilting LCD screen, good controls, superb IBIS, and reasonably good high-IOS performance - all in one body. I must commend Oly on the controls on this camera which while not perfect, are very good. This body is a noteworthy high point for the m4/3 format and brings me to a point of transferring over from preferred Panasonic bodies over to Olympus. I will be quite content shooting with two E-M5 bodies and a nice assortment of Pany, Oly, and legacy lenses.

The E-M5 , by the way, by virtue of the superb 5-axis IBIS and the controls, makes using legacy glass really great to work with on this camera!
    Don

Thanks for the post. In fact this is an interesting picture to me. I am trying to remain with m43rds for bird photography. I've reached the limits with my GH-2 as the resolution is really affected by noise at above 1250. It is very hit and miss at 1600. Seeing how your picture resolves the hairs on your dogs face is quite instructive. Not sure how the GH-2 would cope at that level. Wouldn't mind seeing a 100% crop from the middle!

Thanks again. I agree it is a very attractive proposition as a camera. Even with the added handgrip it would appear to be still very small which is a plus to me owing to my aging back!

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some of my shots using the E-M5 and Pana 100-300 today at a town veteran's parade:

P5200507 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

P5200005 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

P5200439 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

P5200336 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

P5200213 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

P5200538 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

P5200206 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Glenn,
    The shots look gook. Not sure on the first two how warm the coloring looks in that building.There is a white balance setting to cool down the color a bit under lower indoor lights. I have the warm color turned off. If you have it on, I would experiment with the same scene to see what you get on vs off.

I particularly like the last shot with your framing.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    Here are some of my shots using the E-M5 and Pana 100-300 today at a town veteran's parade:
    How cool is that: doing portraits with the humble Pana 100-300 !
    I think they're excellent, Amin.

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hehe.. at 600mm equiv, I bet it almost feel like sniping :P Nice shots, Amin!
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some of my shots using the E-M5 and Pana 100-300 today at a town veteran's parade
    Amin.... I've never felt the need for the 100-300 as I have always felt that the reach beyond my 14-140 was too far for anything I shoot. What was the general focal length for these images?

Seeing these images of yours has given me a new appreciation for uber-telephoto shooting of general subjects. I'm heading off to see what one of these is going to set me back!

You have captured some wonderful "peaks" of the moment as well. Nice job!
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks, Bart, David and Don.

Don, those were at 300, 100, 188, 300, 100, 300, and 300mm, respectively.

It was a lot of fun using that lens and camera at the parade.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Amin
    I'm with everybody else here - these are great. This lens can be picked up at perfectly sensible prices secondhand (I think mine was 325)

What with the new 12-35 . . .

12-35 f2.8
    45 f1.8 (or 45 PL macro)
    75 f1.8
    100-300

That represents a pretty stunning range, all good quality, in a pretty small bag. Which would be nothing if the quality wasn't up to it, but at last, it seems that it is.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Jono. Completely agree with you about that kit. Great times for MFT users.

A couple OM-D fireworks from last night with the PL25/1.4:

P5200549 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

P5200474-2 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

the OM-D worked in my favor yesterday with the solar eclipse, the EVF saved me the trouble of having to wear eye protection, but the weather wasn't on my side. Crazy thick marine layer (southern california) hid the sun from us so we were heading back in land but the sun peeped through right around the time for max coverage, so just pulled over on the side of the road and got in a few shots before the marine layer covered it up again.

loving the small, lightweight package even with the panny 100-300!

solar eclipse 2012 (southern california) by ohitspetey, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My OM-D has landed! (Thanks Monza!) Charging up the battery and will try to post something meaningful tomorrow!
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peterc View Post
    the OM-D worked in my favor yesterday with the solar eclipse, the EVF saved me the trouble of having to wear eye protection, but the weather wasn't on my side. Crazy thick marine layer (southern california) hid the sun from us so we were heading back in land but the sun peeped through right around the time for max coverage, so just pulled over on the side of the road and got in a few shots before the marine layer covered it up again.

loving the small, lightweight package even with the panny 100-300!
    The marine layer makes it look really cool!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Glenn,
    The shots look gook. Not sure on the first two how warm the coloring looks in that building.There is a white balance setting to cool down the color a bit under lower indoor lights. I have the warm color turned off. If you have it on, I would experiment with the same scene to see what you get on vs off.

I particularly like the last shot with your framing.
    Thanks Terry, the place really has that warm hue. I can't take any more pics there as I'm 6000 miles away, at home now!

Glad you like the last one, it is the Scott Monument in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    The marine layer makes it look really cool!
    Ya! but everyone thinks its a photo of the moon.. haha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Glad you like the last one, it is the Scott Monument in Edinburgh, Scotland.
    And a terrific monument it is. You captured it from an unusual perspective. I think that was good thinking by you. It was so easy to get really boring images of the great place (well, I got boring ones only).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok, first shot with my OM-D. My wife took me to lunch for my birthday and I had a glass of locally brewed stout:

Cerveza by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Happy Birthday Carlos .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Terry!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    And a terrific monument it is. You captured it from an unusual perspective. I think that was good thinking by you. It was so easy to get really boring images of the great place (well, I got boring ones only).
    Thanks Jonas

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Happy birthday, Carlos !
    In what country do they serve beer like that ????

C U
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by f6cvalkyrie View Post
    Happy birthday, Carlos !
    In what country do they serve beer like that ????

C U
    Rafael
    In the USA, my friend. The country that brought you Prohibition is currently undergoing a beer brewing renaissance with dozens of microbreweries popping up all over the place and, apparently, Miami, FL is a major center. My wife and I want try a place later this week that serves mango beer.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Ok, first shot with my OM-D. My wife took me to lunch for my birthday and I had a glass of locally brewed stout:
    Happy Birthday!
    Looks rather like what I was drinking in the pub tonight!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmm it's not my birthday, but I've been waiting for this present for a while, and Emma and I picked it up today . . . .

OMD and 25 PL
    It's just like the old one . . . but not quite!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations Jono and another present for you.....

Apple added OMD Raw support.
    terry
    www.terrybanet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

sweet (to both)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hmm it's not my birthday, but I've been waiting for this present for a while, and Emma and I picked it up today . . . .

OMD and 25 PL
    Its a beauty Jono.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

OMD and 25 PL
    Yes, seeing that red badge this one definitely has more umpf than the old one ...

Happy shooting ... err .. driving !
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Happy shooting ... err .. driving !
    But, don't shoot and drive !
    Very nice car, I hope you will have plenty of sunny weather to open up !

C U,
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fun here with the Leica 60 elmarit macro and the OMD.

My 60 elmarit arrived today from Red Dot Cameras - thank you Brian

I'm linking to their side because they were so helpful and splendid!

I'm so impressed I started a new thread, but I thought a few images here wouldn't go amiss either.

Using the lens on the OMD is wonderful - it handles nicely with the small grip, the IS works splendidly, and the lens is just spectacular.

All the best

Just this guy you know

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, that blueish/violet flower looks absolutely stunning.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono these look quite good... you do have a tendency to make my life more expensive

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful, Jono. Such rich colors and textures.

Post Thanks / Like

>you do have a tendency to make my life more expensive

Our purpose in life :-). Unfortunately it may also make my life the same.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From today's little walk:

Waiting for Alice by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Lovely ----and what a charming title.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carlos, I feel like I walked into a "story book" with that shot. Really like it. You were testing out the tilt screen !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yup, took me a couple of goes to remember how to turn it on, but in the end the shot was worth it and my knees are still intact.