The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

jonoslack

Well - someone had to start it, and I feel that with my status here as the primary small camera gear addict it was my duty to do so . . . Unfortunately I don't have a camera until later on today, so, Carlos, Todd and everybody else.

Off You Go!

all the best
Jono

Jonas

OK, take this one - which is not a great image or anything unique to the E-M5:

I post it as it is a trivial image where it was easy to nail the exposure thanks to the clever highlight/shadow blinkies combined with UniWB and all of that in a decent viewfinder. The artsy and great and fun images will come by time, for now I leave that for the more artsy and great and fun photographers here.
Fact is that I've never had a camera where I nailed the image with regards to focus plane and optimal exposure at the first try so often.

TimWright

Just got my OMD as well so a couple of quick shots. Bird is with Oly 75-300 at 300 handheld in a strong wind. Second was a snap in a boat with the kit 12-50 at 12 mm.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Tim - Jonas - excellent - that bird shot its really fine.

I just collected mine as well - here's a few out of camera jpgs I took on the way back to the office!

kit lens at 50mm f8, 200 ISO

kit lens at 12mm f8 200 ISO
this one proves to me that if you stop down, then the kit lens is sharp in the corners - which (IMHO) is the very best you can expect from any 4 times zoom

kit lens at 50mm f6.3 ISO 200

kit lens at 30mm f8 ISO 200

kit lens at 15mm f10 ISO 200. . . I was worried by some black dots . . . but they seem to have wings!

Looking Good!

Braeside

Looking fine Jono - I know what you mean about the flying things over the rapeseed, I had similar problems here the other day, thought I had dust on the sensor of my GXR!

That kit lens looks very nice indeed.

etrigan63

Jono, I am the odd duck this time as mine has not yet arrived. Rest assured that when it does I will post. Great stuff so far!

jonoslack

HI Carlos - David - Nice to see you here.
Sadly I've got work to do, so there hasn't been much time to play, but what time I've had has certainly been fun.

I'm sticking to the kit lens for a few days, to see if I can discover it's good bits and it's bad bits.

I tried a few using macro mode.

This one is 500 ISO at F6 . . . according to the preview forums, this lens has horrid bokeh - but this looks okay to me (sure it isn't a summilux, but if that's what you're expecting for this price . . . ).

This one is 1600 ISO at f6.3

This one is 200 ISO at f8

. . . . . then it got dark!

This one is 1600 ISO at f5 21mm 1/30th second
Nasty lighting - one halogen spot with mixed lighting from the rest of the room

Finally the obligatory pet snap
This one is 1600 ISO at f5.6 34mm 1/15th second . . . seems the IS works!

My initial response on the first day is that this is a lens up with the 14-54 and 12-60 of old - of course, it's slower . . . but then the 2/3 stop ISO performance does at least seem to make up for this. I'm amazed that the forums at preview seem so grumpy about it.

The camera also seems to be something of a gem. But it's early days yet!

.. all of these are out of camera jpgs, with a little tweaking of exposure and straightening, together with a slight cooling of the AWB results indoors.

Right - off to bed . . . . certainly no buyer's remorse so far!

all the best
Jono

Michiel Schierbeek

OK, take this one - which is not a great image or anything unique to the E-M5:

I post it as it is a trivial image where it was easy to nail the exposure thanks to the clever highlight/shadow blinkies combined with UniWB and all of that in a decent viewfinder. The artsy and great and fun images will come by time, for now I leave that for the more artsy and great and fun photographers here.
Fact is that I've never had a camera where I nailed the image with regards to focus plane and optimal exposure at the first try so often.
Well, Jonas, I must say this is a very artistic image, in my humble opinion, with all those well composed diagonals. :thumbs:
Don't underestimate yourself.

Michiel

nostatic

.. all of these are out of camera jpgs, with a little tweaking of exposure and straightening, together with a slight cooling of the AWB results indoors.

Right - off to bed . . . . certainly no buyer's remorse so far!

all the best
Jono
There is a setting in the menus - Custom -> G -> "Keep Warm Color". By default it is on, and it will make indoor shots a bit too warm (even for my taste). Switch that off and you'll likely not need to cool in post.

Terry

Very interested to check the camera out.
Yeah, it is interesting.

The Fuji is my primary for now.
The Nikon 1 is long lens stuff and P&S.
The NEX7 I really like and I haven't sold off my m4/3 lenses.

OK pretty pathetic. But some stuff has to go like a whole system one of these days.

nostatic

OK pretty pathetic. But some stuff has to go like a whole system one of these days.
fwiw I sold my p&s (Leica DLux4) and my FF (5D2). Will be selling the APS-C (a67), though the work-purchased a77 will stay at the office for official use. Only things I'll have is iPhone 4S and OMD. Though we may end up with a pair of them. I got tired of having a bunch of different stuff and in the end it mostly was to satisfy pixel peeping. The OMD with a pancake isn't much bigger than the DLux4. And the iPhone, while not near the quality, at least is always on me.

And there likely will be other OMD models pretty quickly. So as long as I have good glass...

250swb

JPEG using the kit 12-50mm lens and dialing in some underexposure for a bit of contre jour and slightly adjusted in Viveza for tone and colour. The 'keep warm colour' of the default setup can be seen in the water, I think I will switch it off.

Steve

jonoslack

JPEG using the kit 12-50mm lens and dialing in some underexposure for a bit of contre jour and slightly adjusted in Viveza for tone and colour. The 'keep warm colour' of the default setup can be seen in the water, I think I will switch it off.

Steve
Excellent Steve - shooting just jpg means that a little underexposure seems like a good idea - I'm doing that as well. . . . . and I've switched off 'keep warm colour' too.

There is a setting in the menus - Custom -> G -> "Keep Warm Color". By default it is on, and it will make indoor shots a bit too warm (even for my taste). Switch that off and you'll likely not need to cool in post.
Thanks Todd
Helpful - I hadn't been through all of the menus yet - it's duly switched off, together with noise reduction and lots of other stuff!

Still, the menus aren't actually too bad at all, the only really substantial thing I've changed is to put ISO on the video button - the rest can wait.

Yeah, it is interesting.

The Fuji is my primary for now.
The Nikon 1 is long lens stuff and P&S.
The NEX7 I really like and I haven't sold off my m4/3 lenses.

:ROTFL:
Well, like Todd my FF stuff seems to be going (I have to ask myself why I would want to lug around all those kg with the kind of IQ I can get from these little cameras).

I suspect that the APSc stuff is next on the block (A77 & lenses). Which will leave me with the Leica M and either m4/3 or NEX. . . . . Perhaps!

Jonas

Jono, you seem to have a home, and surroundings, with interesting stuff in it!

Thank you all for the nice images, and for the kind comments as well. Michiel, maybe that simply was an image to your taste?

Steve, like you I got the 12-50mm kit lens with the E-M5. Seeing your image, and a good one it is, confimrs that was a good choice. It makes sense having a weather shielded lens to go with the body.

Here are a couple more images. I used to shoot a lot in the streets earlier but not nearly as much these days. Still, I wanted to see how the E-M5 AF serves in these situations:

The guy above did his family, I did him. OK, at f/4 we have an f/8 and be there -situation but the Af worked fine.

I took a couple of steps towards him, got the image above, and a crop:

Above: I'm not really satisfied with the "sharpness" here... there is some motion blur, probably me, and that at 1/250 of a sec.

Above: No complaints here.

Above: A hasty situation. It looks OK here but checking the image more closely again show some motion blur (and again it was probably me) and now at 1/500.

All these images were taken with the Panasonic micro 25/1.4 and with the IBIS set to IS1. I'll have to look further into this.

Ahem... Do we need a separate thread discussing how to set up the E-M5 (and perhaps we can keep discussions about pros and cons with different system to the OM-D E-M5 discussion thread)? And you guys shoot JPGs?!

Cheers,

Jonas

retow

Thank you all for the nice images, and for the kind comments as well. Michiel, maybe that simply was an image to your taste?

Steve, like you I got the 12-50mm kit lens with the E-M5. Seeing your image, and a good one it is, confimrs that was a good choice. It makes sense having a weather shielded lens to go with the body.

Here are a couple more images. I used to shoot a lot in the streets earlier but not nearly as much these days. Still, I wanted to see how the E-M5 AF serves in these situations:

The guy above did his family, I did him. OK, at f/4 we have an f/8 and be there -situation but the Af worked fine.

I took a couple of steps towards him, got the image above, and a crop:

Above: I'm not really satisfied with the "sharpness" here... there is some motion blur, probably me, and that at 1/250 of a sec.

Above: No complaints here.

Above: A hasty situation. It looks OK here but checking the image more closely again show some motion blur (and again it was probably me) and now at 1/500.

All these images were taken with the Panasonic micro 25/1.4 and with the IBIS set to IS1. I'll have to look further into this.

Ahem... Do we need a separate thread discussing how to set up the E-M5 (and perhaps we can keep discussions about pros and cons with different system to the OM-D E-M5 discussion thread)? And you guys shoot JPGs?!

Cheers,

Jonas
I can't read his credit card number, definitely not sharp enough.;)

jonoslack

Thank you - yes . . . my wife once threw something away (I think it was in 1994) :ROTFL:

Cheers,

Jonas
Excellent idea - are you going to start it?
As for jpgs - I never shoot jpgs . . . except when I have a new camera not supported by Aperture, in which case I shoot both. I actually find it a good discipline sometimes to shoot jpg only - no room for exposure errors!).

Periodically I do the round of converters to see if the situation has changed . . . then go back to Aperture! I've been using LR quite a lot recently for different reasons, but I don't like it.
all the best

etrigan63

A converter, like the camera, is a tool. Whatever works best for you. I have used all of the major converters on the Mac (Aperture, Lightroom, Capture One, and AfterShot Pro) and each have their strengths and weaknesses. I use Lightroom for dance work, Capture One for portraiture, AfterShot Pro for black and white conversion, and Aperture for book works (but LR's Blurb Module may supplant this) and project oriented work.

Call me a lunatic, but that's the way I roll.