The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

Knorp

This, for instance, was taken at 1/15th sec - it's not bad, but as you can see, it's not perfect
Why-Oh-why would one shoot a tele-zoom like the 100-300 at 1/15th sec ? Because ... you CAN :lecture:

Still, I'd use faster shutter speeds than 1/15th sec, Jono. However I admire your steady hand here.
Frankly, I'd have expected you could have cranked-up the ISO to at least 1000-1200 without introducing too much noise.

But how's handling the E-M5 and the 100-300 without the grip ?

Thanks and have fun :D

Tesselator

You're a lunatic!
using Lightroom or Aperture as a DAM is really the only way forward for me - and I don't want more than one library!
Nice pics.

Just replying to say that I don't want any libraries! I only want folders! I use the OS to find, label, and tag stuff. I have about 170,000 images in folders. 100k in RAW, 35k converted to PSD, and 35k scaled JPegs. Finding stuff is instant and I never even need to load an app. I tried libraries in 4 or 5 different apps and just hated it. Folders rock for me. :) Search options in the OS are more abundant than most editors and the scripting functions are right there too if I wanna run them all through some automated process or something.

Between "A Better Finder Rename", Apple Script, The OS and a few of the Service functions I'm really digging using only Mac OS with ACR and some PS.

jonoslack

Why-Oh-why would one shoot a tele-zoom like the 100-300 at 1/15th sec ? Because ... you CAN :lecture:

Still, I'd use faster shutter speeds than 1/15th sec, Jono. However I admire your steady hand here.
Frankly, I'd have expected you could have cranked-up the ISO to at least 1000-1200 without introducing too much noise.
Actually Bart, for these I set the shutter speed to 15th - I wanted to see how it worked - certainly not what I'd do in normal circumstances . . still, it did seem to work . . How many stops does that make the IS . . . erm . sounds a bit like 5 stops - you wouldn't want to do it . . . . but it's nice as a possibility.

But how's handling the E-M5 and the 100-300 without the grip ?

Thanks and have fun :D
Oh - it's fine - no problem, in this case I was kneeling and resting my elbow on my knee, but the lens and camera combination is quite okay.

jonoslack

Nice pics.

Just replying to say that I don't want any libraries! I only want folders! I use the OS to find, label, and tag stuff. I have about 170,000 images in folders. 100k in RAW, 35k converted to PSD, and 35k scaled JPegs. Finding stuff is instant and I never even need to load an app. I tried libraries in 4 or 5 different apps and just hated it. Folders rock for me. :) Search options in the OS are more abundant than most editors and the scripting functions are right there too if I wanna run them all through some automated process or something.

Between "A Better Finder Rename", Apple Script, The OS and a few of the Service functions I'm really digging using only Mac OS with ACR and some PS.
Well, I was joshing an old mate a bit - but still, I used to work like that, now everything is still in folders . . . but it's only RAW files and the (very) occasional PSD or TIF - no scaled jpgs, no thumbnails for web - I make them when I need them and then remove them. I used to have real trouble because I'd find 15 versions of a file and not knowing which was the most recent etc. etc. Now, I need an image for something - it's there in Aperture, and I output whatever I need.

Each to his own!

Terry

Well, I was joshing an old mate a bit - but still, I used to work like that, now everything is still in folders . . . but it's only RAW files and the (very) occasional PSD or TIF - no scaled jpgs, no thumbnails for web - I make them when I need them and then remove them. I used to have real trouble because I'd find 15 versions of a file and not knowing which was the most recent etc. etc. Now, I need an image for something - it's there in Aperture, and I output whatever I need.

Each to his own!
When I export with presets I embed the size in the file name like 800px or 1200px.

LR4 has the option to export to email and I now have a whole set of presets for the sizes I want to use. So, I can quickly email out a picture without ever having to export it to a file. Bravo! :clap:

250swb

I was intrigued by Jono's macro shots with the 12-50mm and it prompted me to work out what the button on the lens actually did.

Steve

jonoslack

When I export with presets I embed the size in the file name like 800px or 1200px.
I use versions, and if I need it again later, I don't try and find it . . . I simply export it again
LR4 has the option to export to email and I now have a whole set of presets for the sizes I want to use. So, I can quickly email out a picture without ever having to export it to a file. Bravo! :clap:
Yeah Yeah - but the export presets seem so clunky and hard to configure compared to . . . . . . hey hey we don't need an Aperture/LR argument here!

I've just spent 4 months using LR almost exclusively (because of camera compatability)- I thought it'd finally be the catalyst to moving over from Aperture, but, quite the contrary, it's simply made me appreciate Aperture more.:poke::p:facesmack::salute::)

jonoslack

I was intrigued by Jono's macro shots with the 12-50mm and it prompted me to work out what the button on the lens actually did.

Steve
That's fantastic Steve
It might not be as good as the lovely 45 Macro . . . but it ain't bad!

Tesselator

I use versions, and if I need it again later, I don't try and find it . . . I simply export it again

Yeah Yeah - but the export presets seem so clunky and hard to configure compared to . . . . . . hey hey we don't need an Aperture/LR argument here!

I've just spent 4 months using LR almost exclusively (because of camera compatability)- I thought it'd finally be the catalyst to moving over from Aperture, but, quite the contrary, it's simply made me appreciate Aperture more.:poke::p:facesmack::salute::)
Apps are like that! I'm so glad there's variety! Some apps just fit some people - for whatever reasons. Sometimes it's the GUI, sometimes it's the imposed workflow, and sometimes it's the level of sophistication/simplicity of the toolset.

etrigan63

Steve
Steve,
how many times have I told you not to go on photo shoots near Chernobyl? :facesmack:

HI Paul
The image stabilisation is, of course, not magic.

This, for instance, was taken at 1/15th sec - it's not bad, but as you can see, it's not perfect

by the way, it was taken with the panasonic 100-300 (IS turned off on lens) at 300mm (i.e. 600mm equivalent) :ROTFL:

. . . as was this one

this one is a more realistic 100mm (200 equivalent) also at 1/15th

exif should be intact.

There you are - I've saved you all that money :thumbs:
Thank You Jono
Shooting at 600mm equivalent without a good tripod setup shouldn't even be possible, I am surprised they are as good as they are, especially the dog photo. Can you imagine them without the stabilization. To me, stabilization is most useful for spontaneous shooting. As far as saving me money, I still have GAS, you can't take it with you and somebody has to keep the economy going.

Paul

Hosermage

I just read that IBIS doesn't work when using a MF lens... how disappointing (or is that only with video mode? I'm confused). And I just bought a M-to-m43 adapter, too. I guess it's not any worse, but I do hope that's something they can turn on later with firmware update.

Peter Klein

David: Where did you read that? I've owned two Olympus DSLRs that had in body image stabiliztion (IBIS), and both of them work with manual focus lenses. There is a menu item that allows you to enter the focal length, which makes it work with lenses that don't communicate their focal length to the body.

Perhaps what you read comes from a user unfamiliar with Olympus cameras. I find it difficult to believe that the OM-D's IBIS is so different that it wouldn't work with manual lenses. In fact, "works with any lens" is one of the selling points for IBIS in the first place.

--Peter

Jonas

The IBIS works just fine with any lens, as long as you shoot still images. IBIS for movies works with native lenses only.

Hosermage

Peter, it didn't make sense to me either. Jonas, thanks for clearing it up... still, I want to ask.. why not?

Peter Klein

Probably because Olympus assumes that if you're shooting movies, you will be using a zoom. And with a non-native zoom, the camera has no way of knowing what focal length you have the lens set to at a given moment.

Maybe we "should" be able to use a prime lens for movies and specify the focal length manually, but maybe Oly didn't think anyone would want to. Or perhaps there's a technical challenge of which we're not aware.

--Peter

Jonas

...or it is a bug simply put. There are some great third party lenses very well fitted for shooting movies. If Olympus want to be serious about this they should implement IBIS at the latest with the next firmware update.