The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

jonoslack

Here is my e-m5 pic taken today.
I guess, she wasn't in good mood.
Hey - wonderful . . .still, You know they say it isn't the camera it's the photographer . . . in this case it's at least partly it isn't the photographer it's the model she is gorgeous!

Jonas

Waiting to hear about the grip.
My grips is what saves the camera (together with the Panasonic micro 25/1.4). It transforms the camera from good but too small and too cramped camera into a good camera which easily can be carried around with no risk of slip out of my hand. At the same time it also make it fiddly to switch battery and press the button on the top of the camera. A small detail worth mentioning is that the tripod mount now is aligned with the optical axis.

I wish the grip was built in and now when it is not I wish Olympus had given us a way to configure the now redundant shutter button and front control wheel into something else but just doubling the functions on the grip.

I use half the grip only, sometimes called landscape grip) and everything said above is valid for my hands only. ;)

My grips is what saves the camera (together with the Panasonic micro 25/1.4). It transforms the camera from good but too small and too cramped camera into a good camera which easily can be carried around with no risk of slip out of my hand. At the same time it also make it fiddly to switch battery and press the button on the top of the camera. A small detail worth mentioning is that the tripod mount now is aligned with the optical axis.

I wish the grip was built in and now when it is not I wish Olympus had given us a way to configure the now redundant shutter button and front control wheel into something else but just doubling the functions on the grip.

I use half the grip only, sometimes called landscape grip) and everything said above is valid for my hands only. ;)
The only drawback in using the landscape part of the grip only, is that the access to the battery compartment requires the dismantling of the grip, this is way I choose to use both parts even if I do not shoot so often in portrait mode.

Last edited:

ustein

Contributing Editor
>great BW conversion

Really excellent. Can you share your technique?

Last edited:

Diane B

Ah, your chickens. Always good IMO. I came across one of your wonderful ones from our E10 days. Still lovely to look at.

I haven't gone away you know!

Great images everyone - especially that last one teera_ash!

my grip arrived today - more later.

I'm feeling a bit like this:

Terry

Another camera means another morning at the farmer's market. I hadn't really used the kit lens yet so I only took that lens. The macro capability is quite nice although moving the lens from regular to macro mode and back really is a two handed operation and is hard to do trying to hold the camera in any sort of shooting position.

A few that I try and take each time

Happy Mother's Day

Diane B

Very nice shots Terry. I have to admit I really like Oly jpegs even though I shoot raw and have only shot Panny m4/3 so far.

Just really good choices for testing but lovely on their own too.

Terry

Very nice shots Terry. I have to admit I really like Oly jpegs even though I shoot raw and have only shot Panny m4/3 so far.

Just really good choices for testing but lovely on their own too.
We have RAW support in LR. So only shooting RAW. I shot a little bit differently. I set the in camera JPEG settings to -2 contrast, - 2 saturation and muted jpegs to get a really neutral rendering and metering and histogram. Then I turned on the highlight/shadow set the clipping warning to 245. When shooting I used EV to keep myself just below clipping on the highlights. Worked pretty well. Need to be careful with reds. I have some strawberries in fairly harsh light that didn't come out so well.

Diane B

Ah, okay. Well, good to know and obviously colors are terrific with processing in LR. Thanks for the notes on your technique. And reds are tough for so many cameras, aren't they.

jonoslack

Another camera means another morning at the farmer's market. I hadn't really used the kit lens yet so I only took that lens. The macro capability is quite nice although moving the lens from regular to macro mode and back really is a two handed operation and is hard to do trying to hold the camera in any sort of shooting position.
Excellent Terry - I especially love the flower shots at the start.
I agree that the macro mode is a two hand operation to switch on - but it's just a quick pull to switch off - easy with one hand I reckon..