The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

simort

This one is for Jonoslack: you seem to have both 12-50 and 14-150. I currently have the latter, but the former intrigues me for the macro capability, and despite overall negative reviews you can read on the web, the pictures coming out of it seem very good. How do the 2 zooms compare? Would you recommend swapping one for the other as a general purpose walk around lens?

Thanks
Simone

G

gplatt

Hi There Guy
I'm afraid I haven't even tried any of them . . . I might try some of the R lenses, but I don't have a m4/3 to R adapter at the moment.
Manual focusing in general works okay on a tripod for macro, but I find it pretty disturbing when you're trying to get the composition right and it keeps zooming in and out.

I guess that in the end I decided that I wasn't really going to use either camera for manual focus lenses - that's what the M9 is for.

Two things spring to mind.
1. Focus peaking is the best
2. the stabilisation on the OMD would be wonderful.

A draw perhaps!

all the best
Thanks for the reply Jono.

I decided to buy an OMD and agree with you. The M9 is for the manual focus lenses. While focus peaking allows me to use them on a Nex pretty easily I didn't much enjoy using them on this camera.

I do however like the kit lens and I have some other m43 lenses which work well on it.

The camera will go to my partner for her use, I think I like using a rangefinder too much to really want to use something else but it was important for me to get her a camera which I also like using as on occasions I will no doubt be using it.

regards
Guy

etrigan63

Just saw this bit about the new Panny X lenses to be announced on May 21. Hopefully, they will perform well in AF arena as I am keen to test them for my dance stuff.

jonoslack

Dragos - lovely
Sorry - I've been a bit pre-occupied over the last week . . . but the OMD is always in my bag.

Here are a couple of shots from today:

with the 25 f1.4 panaleica (returning the compliment)

12-50 kit lens in macro mode

12-50 kit lens in macro mode

Leica R 28-90 at 70mm

Guy - if you have some R lenses, they're actually rather gorgeous on the OMD

Here it is with both grips and the Leica R 180 f2.8 APO

G

gplatt

Guy - if you have some R lenses, they're actually rather gorgeous on the OMD
The only R lens I have has been converted to a Nikon mount (100 2.8 Macro) but I am interested in getting some more to try.

Is there a good site to read about the R lenses? I'm not looking for the rarest or most collectable, but rather those which might be the most useful to own. Obviously the 180 2.8 APO looks superb.

I realize that without describing what I want to do with them more specifically, this is a bit of a weak question. My thinking is that I rarely use longer than a 50mm on the M9 so I guess the R lenses would need to be longer than 50mm as otherwise I'll stay with the M.

Terry

The only R lens I have has been converted to a Nikon mount (100 2.8 Macro) but I am interested in getting some more to try.

Is there a good site to read about the R lenses? I'm not looking for the rarest or most collectable, but rather those which might be the most useful to own. Obviously the 180 2.8 APO looks superb.

I realize that without describing what I want to do with them more specifically, this is a bit of a weak question. My thinking is that I rarely use longer than a 50mm on the M9 so I guess the R lenses would need to be longer than 50mm as otherwise I'll stay with the M.
Well you could just get a Nikon/M43 adapter and still use it. :p

jonoslack

This one is for Jonoslack: you seem to have both 12-50 and 14-150. I currently have the latter, but the former intrigues me for the macro capability, and despite overall negative reviews you can read on the web, the pictures coming out of it seem very good. How do the 2 zooms compare? Would you recommend swapping one for the other as a general purpose walk around lens?

Thanks
Simone
Thank you Bart . . . Simone I'm sorry, I missed this until Bart pointed it out.

The 14-150 is much more flexible, and also has a much longer focal length - they both show the inevitable compromise of wide range zooms, but they're both fine.

the macro, weather sealing and wider angle of the 12-50 are great - the longer focal length and wider range of the 14-150 are as well.

I don't think I'd recommend swapping them, as it'll cost you a fair bit - it might be cheaper to buy a macro lens (if that's what your missing).

Wide range zooms nearly always get bad reviews, I like them, but you certainly need to be aware of potential limitations.

Keep what you've got (if I were you!).

all the best

f6cvalkyrie

My (black) OM-D has arrived, and I'm testing and adjusting setting ...
I tried some of my "more difficult" lenses with it, longer lenses with which I seldom shot satisfying results on the Panasonic bodies ...

Here's some results on the OM-D

OM-D with Nikkor 180/2.8 ED

With Leica Hektor 135/4

I'm quite impressed with the IBIS on this camera !

C U
Rafael

G

gplatt

I tried some of my "more difficult" lenses with it, longer lenses with which I seldom shot satisfying results on the Panasonic bodies ...

With Leica Hektor 135/4

C U
Rafael
Lovely images. Especially like the last two.

simort

Keep what you've got (if I were you!).
Thanks for your reply Jono.
In fact, that's what I'll probably do. The 14-150 performs very well considering its range - much better in my opinion than my Pentax-Tamron 18-250.
You're probably right that a dedicated macro lens would be better.

Cheers

E

Easyki

With Leica Hektor 135/4

C U
Rafael
:clap::clap: great pictures! what kind of adapter do you use? is it fully manual with adapter? Thanks for sharing! Greetz !!

chrism

Getting ready for the M9M, and brushing up my digital B&W processing, using the Olympus OM-D. A cat seem to be in order:

Chris

f6cvalkyrie

:clap::clap: great pictures! what kind of adapter do you use? is it fully manual with adapter? Thanks for sharing! Greetz !!
thanks, Easyki ! I'm using cheap adapters from Ebay, the cheapest I can find. I once bought expensive ones from Fotodiox (the pro-stuff with a shift mechanism and a tripod collar) and they were no good at all !

C U
Rafael

biglouis

I'm finally selling all my digital kit except for my m43rds stuff and the plan is to have only one digital system and one film system (Hasselblad).

I did a tour of the camera shops yesterday and after testing a lot of different cameras I came away with no strong preference for anything from either Nikon, Canon or Fuji. I did try a OMD and my initial thoughts were not entirely positive. But thinking about it afterwards I do concede that for weight/size factor it is pretty much unbeatable.

What would swing it for me as far as the OMD is concerned is if anyone can post some full size jpgs or links to them, of low light shots so I can see what noise levels and resolution is like at iso 1600. Does anyone have anything they can post?

LouisB