The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

Terry

I disagree. A great deal* of excellent photography, especially photography of people across several genres (documentary, travel, street, fine art), is done at higher ISO values and lower shutter speeds under conditions where a tripod is neither convenient nor practical and where ultimate image quality is a minor contributor to the the quality of image.

*Far more than implied by your qualifiers such as "generally"
I think he lost me at rookie mistake. There are no rookie mistakes when the light you are given and the scene (movement) dictates your exposure. That is unless of course you are trying to shoot ghosts. :grin:

Amin

This is exactly the point where prior forum experience, mostly at DPReview, has taught me to let it go :).

Let's get back to some Fun with the OM-D!

A few more dogwoods in bloom:

Flickr is doing weird things to the file on resizing. The original size version shows none of the evident odd artifacts.

Last edited:

Amin

The "weird" things (CA) are still there in the large file. The lens isn't up to the task, perhaps? In any event, are you happy with the composition?
The "weird things" I was referring to are the perfectly straight, vertical and horizontal dark gray lines, most visible just to the sides of some of the white petals against the lighter green background in the displayed, resized image.

As for my composition, I don't love it. I bypassed it when I posted a couple dogwoods earlier in this thread. However, I found the picture pleasing enough to post as I was looking to post something to get us back to Fun with the OM-D rather than continuing to :deadhorse: about the utility of high ISO at lower shutter speeds.

V

Vivek

I do not see any such problems, Amin.

Check your monitor (perhaps lower the contrast a notch or two?)

I brought up the composition aspect since you were talking about image quality, etc.

I agree, less :deadhorse: talk and more focus on photography itself is good for everyone.:)

Brian Mosley

I can see it Amin, vertical line just to left of centre, upper part of the image.

Flickerized! :banghead:

Agree, more photos less aggro... this should be our oasis from all that :chug:

Brian

Tesselator

I don't see it either tho. I see a section of OOF blur that's straight-ish ("vertical line just to left of centre, upper part of the image"). But that's in the big file too. <shrug>

Amin

I do not see any such problems, Amin.
I don't see it either tho.
I figured it out. Seems to be an issue with the latest build of Chrome for Windows. The artifacts don't show up in IE, Firefox, or Safari on the Mac. They do show up in the latest version of Chrome on multiple displays across different PCs at both my work and home.

Here you can see an affected portion of the image. Chrome is on the left, IE in the middle, Firefox on the right:

There are faint, straight, dark horizontal and vertical lines in the Chrome version only. There are other reports of JPEG artifacts in Chrome:

Knorp

Here you can see an affected portion of the image. Chrome is on the left, IE in the middle, Firefox on the right:

There are faint, straight, dark horizontal and vertical lines in the Chrome version only.
Okay, I know it's (very) early in the morning, but i see no problems here, Amin.
All three look more or less the same to me: no vertical and or horizontal lines in the Chrome version to be seen :confused:
I even turned up/down the brightness (iMac), still no luck.

Do I need a new system or glasses now ... :eek:

Kind regards.

Amin

Carlos, the left panel image Bart showed is a screenshot of Chrome on Windows, so the artifacts should be visible regardless of where you view it (Chrome on Mac, Safari, Firefox, IE, etc).

Here is a toasted version with the artifacts circled in red:

If you can see them in the toasted version, go back to the version Bart quoted, and I'll bet you see them there as well.

marlof

Kicks (the 14-yr old cat) beat Saar (the one yr old Golden Retriever) by a fierce attack to the nose and much hissing.

jlm

Workshop Member
almost finished my prototype grip for the OMD. expect to post a pic tomorrow:

details:
does not block access to battery or card
has integral thread hole for tripod mount, on lens centerline;
has integral base profile to fit RRS clamps
all metal construction, will be in production asap (2weeks) target price $150