The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

Diane B

Thank you.
When do you get yours? (it would be wonderful to see you posting around here).

From my point of view, day by day, I realise new things to like about the camera, and fewer things to dislike. Viewfinder IBIS stabilisation is a real winner - especially with MF lenses. I thought the poor tracking focus was going to be a problem, but the AF is so fast, you can just follow moving objects and mash the shutter at the right moment (surfing snaps with the 100-300 proved the point). The grip is also splendid - and really well thought out.

It's good enough that all my dSLR and NEX kit is heading for ebay.

all the best
Well, that's an endorsement if I ever heard one LOL. Jono, you have cost me money before :) and you and Terry have me primed for checking out the EM5 when one is available to handle. The grip interests me too since I suspect the body alone will be right on the edge of too small for me.

Diane

Diane B

Here's one from today. I visited our railway station as I wanted to exchange some money. Lo and behold, the government has bought one of the well known Weeping Girls sculptures by Laura Ford (UK) and placed it in one of the areas where people pass on their way to the trains:

I may be a complainer always wishing for something more but I carry around my E-M5 daily having fun with it. The image above is taken with the micro version of the Panasonic 25/1.4, wide open.
OT a bit but this sculpture intrigued me enough that I've explored more of Ford's work. I didn't know her work before.

Also like the photo. The little girl is selectively focused enough but in context with the woman walking by ignoring (seemingly :clap:)

Diane

les

Wonderful macros in the recent posts...... but now for something completely different. Just a run of the mill (pun) scene at our local watering hole yesterday. Shot with an old Minolta lens, but despite the help of the 5x magnification I'd rather have relied on auto focus.
It's the site of the Old Roswell Mill in GA.

Jonas

OT a bit but this sculpture intrigued me enough that I've explored more of Ford's work. I didn't know her work before.

Also like the photo. The little girl is selectively focused enough but in context with the woman walking by ignoring (seemingly :clap:)
Thank you for the kind comment Diane. I saw three of L Ford's weeping girls when visiting a sculpture park here a couple of years ago and then again a few other things by her when visiting the Cass Foundation, UK, last year. It was a happy surprise seeing one of the "girls" again.

And, Thank you Guy.

jonoslack

Blimey :bugeyes:

OK OK... I get the message :D

How could they possibly improve on this? :rolleyes:

E-M6 better not be too soon! :facesmack:

Brian
Hi Brian
Bring on the E-M7. Of course it could be improved on, remember also that I don't shoot sport. But the OMD is good enough that I can't imagine a situation when I would tale a big SLR instead. It makes a great companion for the M9, doing telephoto and macro duties really well. It's not necessarily better than the NEX7, but it feels like a real camera, and with the NEX thre is a suspicion that next to a around Sony will change everying once again.

All the best

Diane B

LOL. I have considered waiting for the EM6(def. not the EM7) but suspect with Oly it will be longer than I want to wait--IF the EM5 suits my shooting. I'm looking forward to trying it sometime this summer.

Diane

Hosermage

It makes a great companion for the M9, doing telephoto and macro duties really well.
Jono, I think that's the exact reasons why I went for it... it's everything that the M9 is not: zoom, macro, AF(fast!), video. Well, after agonizing wait, my silver OMD finally arrived. I would have preferred black, but only silver was available. Just mostly checking out the menus today and the battery is already dead... I probably activated the AF too many times, it just amazes me :D

Somehow my test shots were all over-exposed, I'll have to let the battery charge so I can look at where did I go wrong. How do you turn off the AF-confirmation sound? NM, found it! Now I'm really stealth :D

Last edited:

f6cvalkyrie

On Sunday, we had our annual festivity in the park, it's called "été au chateau" (summer at the castle),
but summer was far, far, faaaaaar away

In fact, it was cold, and it rained THE WHOLE DAY

Still, here's a short impression, short, because I had no weather-sealed lenses with me,
so I had to be careful, even if the camera can have quite a bit of bad weather conditions ....

OM-D with 7-14 and 45-200 Panasonic lenses

C U,
Rafael

les

Rafael,
Well done, great stuff, love the mood of these, like stills from an Avant-garde film. The mysterious juggler with the flaming torches - can almost hear Miles Davis playing the soundtrack!

On Sunday, we had our annual festivity in the park, it's called "été au chateau" (summer at the castle),
but summer was far, far, faaaaaar away

In fact, it was cold, and it rained THE WHOLE DAY

Still, here's a short impression, short, because I had no weather-sealed lenses with me,
so I had to be careful, even if the camera can have quite a bit of bad weather conditions ....

OM-D with 7-14 and 45-200 Panasonic lenses

C U,
Rafael

Hosermage

Very impressed with this little camera... No cats or ducks around, so I snap at my son for testing new gear:

Straight out of camera, aperture priority with everything else on auto.