The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

Hosermage

Also took this today on my way home... I think it's an apartment with an atrium-like entrance area, which looked like a green house to me. However, the tree gives me the impression that it's trying to escape from this glass prison!

BTW, blame my PP for the low contrast :p

m_driscoll

My silver and black body came in today. :)

I had an E-PL3 for two days. I thought it was going to take a lot longer to get my OMD, and, I couldn't let the lenses, just sit there. The Pen Lite was returned today.

It's going to take a little effort to fine tune the settings; and, to get a feel for the camera and lenses. I'm liking it a lot! Here's a few from tonight.

12mm f/2.0; 1/80s @ f/3.2; ISO 320

12mm f/2.0; 1/60s @ f/5; ISO 1000

12mm f/2.0; 1/60s @ f/5; ISO 1600

12mm f/2.0; 1/160s @ f/2; ISO 200

12mm f/2.0; 1/125s @ f/2; -1/3 EV; ISO 200

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

m_driscoll

Congrats, Matt, and nice images! What's the story behind the last one?
Thanks! :D I was walking up the hill and there they were! I asked if i could take their picture. Had to move in pretty close with that lens. DOF is, also, shallower then I thought. Claire's, the woman on the left, hands are the sharpest. Showed them the photos on the LCD, and, Claire gave me her email address to send them to her. Nice smiles. :D

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

Terry

Also took this today on my way home... I think it's an apartment with an atrium-like entrance area, which looked like a green house to me. However, the tree gives me the impression that it's trying to escape from this glass prison!
David Interesting architecture....hard to believe the same person that put the atrium in the middle left the side apartment so nondescript.

Terry

My silver and black body came in today. :)

I had an E-PL3 for two days. I thought it was going to take a lot longer to get my OMD, and, I couldn't let the lenses, just sit there. The Pen Lite was returned today.

It's going to take a little effort to fine tune the settings; and, to get a feel for the camera and lenses. I'm liking it a lot! Here's a few from tonight.
I haven't seen the market empty like that....that mannequin and blue wig seems to find its way into a number of shots. Must be a strategically places shop.

smartwombat

From my point of view, day by day, I realise new things to like about the camera, and fewer things to dislike. Viewfinder IBIS stabilisation is a real winner - especially with MF lenses. I thought the poor tracking focus was going to be a problem, but the AF is so fast, you can just follow moving objects and mash the shutter at the right moment (surfing snaps with the 100-300 proved the point). The grip is also splendid - and really well thought out.

It's good enough that all my dSLR and NEX kit is heading for ebay.
I don't think it's that good, but with the same "mash it" technique I've got good motorsport images from Laguna Seca.

It is so good that I'll be selling the E-P1 and probably GH-1 to get a second body and grip. Provided I can get some BLN-1 batteries.

The camera is no practical use to me without spare batteries. It ran out half way through the race at Laguna Seca, it ran out half way through the WB Harry Potter studio tour.
I'm sure it will run out part way through the Thaxted Morris Ring Meet, and I am certain it won't survive a day at Goodwood Festival of Speed.

I just can't lift my 1D or white lenses until I get my strength back after my accident, otherwise |I'd be using them. I've just about got the motion back in my hand (10 months after surgery) that I can use a light camera/lens.

Terry

The camera is no practical use to me without spare batteries. It ran out half way through the race at Laguna Seca, it ran out half way through the WB Harry Potter studio tour.
I'm sure it will run out part way through the Thaxted Morris Ring Meet, and I am certain it won't survive a day at Goodwood Festival of Speed.

I just can't lift my 1D or white lenses until I get my strength back after my accident, otherwise |I'd be using them. I've just about got the motion back in my hand (10 months after surgery) that I can use a light camera/lens.
My suggestion is to call around to some shops in random places and just ask if they've got them in stock. Also, if you are shooting it for paid events perhaps lob a call into Olympus.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I really like the OMD and myself saying that means something, as I have not been constantly so highly impressed by any camera over a longer period.

I mentioned already several times - really considering to cancel my D800E order! The OMD and m43 in combination with an OMD body is as good!

jonoslack

I don't think it's that good, but with the same "mash it" technique I've got good motorsport images from Laguna Seca.
Oh! I wasn't comparing it to a dSLR camera with real Phase detect tracking AF - but I so rarely need that anyway - You're in a different situation doing motorsport.

What I meant was that for an occasional action shooter the crappy continuous focus can be sidestepped by using the excellent single shot focusing.

all the best

jlm

Workshop Member
terry:
they are night and day, eh?

Penelope (4), the blonde, refuses to cut hers, while Lucille, (5) decided to cut her own, based on something she saw on TV!