The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

scho

A few shots taken with the Contax G 28mm f/2.8 Biogon on the OMD. The last two were stitched from two images each. Unfortunately this nice little lens does produce smeared corners on the OMD. I haven't tried yet on the OMD, but I think that my Contax C/Y 28 and CV 28 f/1.9 will be OK.

I almost forgot that I have the Canon FD 28mm f/2. Much better edge and corner performance on m43, but at the cost of some additional bulk and weight.

Last edited:

m_driscoll

I didn't think that I would ever re-visit m43 world again, but here I am ready for another try. I got tired of waiting for Sony to implement firmware fixes for the NEX7 (notably auto ISO and the dreaded video button). After seeing the great image quality that people have been producing here with the OMD I caved in to temptation once again and decided to grab a nice little black OMD that showed up in stock at a favorite camera store. I'm shooting now primarily with legacy lenses and old adapters that I still have from my previous bout with m43 cameras. IBIS was a major factor in my decision to go with the OMD.

A few first samples using various lenses. The old M adapter I had would not focus to infinity on the OMD, so that needs to be replaced.

Konica AR 50mm f/1.7 Hexanon

Contax G 90mm f/2.8 Sonnar
Carl: Like you, I didn't think I'd be back to MFT! But, here we are. Great set of photos. I esp. like this one.

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

sangio

OM-D with Micro-Nikkor 200/4, from the Botanical Garden in Leuven ...

C U,
Rafael
Hi Rafael;

I always enjoy your images of Belgium. I used to visit Leuven regularly on business several years ago, and the botanical garden was one of the favorite places to relax. The bars were pretty good too; I miss my Westmalle.

cheers...
Santo

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
GAS is a killer. The camera hasn't arrived yet, and I'm already looking at Leica zoom listings. Is resistance futile? Do I have to ask?

...sigh... :loco:

Matt

Annna T

GAS is a killer. The camera hasn't arrived yet, and I'm already looking at Leica zoom listings. Is resistance futile? Do I have to ask?

...sigh... :loco:

Matt
You should rather look at all the nice mft primes, like the Olympus 12mm, the Panasonic 20mm and 25mm, the Olympus 45mm and 75mm. They are light and sharp ande won't cost you as much as a Leica R lens, even second hand; for me these huge heavy zooms entirely defeat the purpose of getting a small and light mft camera. If one has that kind of legacy glas left orphan in a cupboard, then it makes sense and will be fun to get an adapter and try, but now that there are so many nice native lenses for the format they aren't worth buying, unless they are dirty cheap and you want some fun.

The small RF lenses of the M format makes more sense and there are some good small and light Voigtländer lenses around, or even M lenses. I had Contax G lenses left over from the film time and they are tack sharp and light too, but finicky to se. I don't have the same satisfaction out of my M lenses because they were faster and thus heavier, too heavy for the small mft bodies. I'll have to try them again on the OM-D to see how they will perform, but they were deceiving on the Pens and G3. They just produced ordinary results, without that wow factor they showed on film, to the point that I don't use them anymore, while I'm still using the Zeiss Contax G lenses (at least the two ones I can mount on the mft cameras) and love them.

f6cvalkyrie

I'll have to try them again on the OM-D to see how they will perform
Hi, Annna,

may I suggest that you DON'T try them on the OM-D, unless you are looking forward to a sudden GAS push-up ...

OM-D is a complete game-changer with regard to MF glass, and, with the grip, even with the heavy MF glass ...

C U,
Rafael

MGrayson

You should rather look at all the nice mft primes, like the Olympus 12mm, the Panasonic 20mm and 25mm, the Olympus 45mm and 75mm. They are light and sharp ande won't cost you as much as a Leica R lens, even second hand; for me these huge heavy zooms entirely defeat the purpose of getting a small and light mft camera. If one has that kind of legacy glas left orphan in a cupboard, then it makes sense and will be fun to get an adapter and try, but now that there are so many nice native lenses for the format they aren't worth buying, unless they are dirty cheap and you want some fun.

The small RF lenses of the M format makes more sense and there are some good small and light Voigtländer lenses around, or even M lenses. I had Contax G lenses left over from the film time and they are tack sharp and light too, but finicky to se. I don't have the same satisfaction out of my M lenses because they were faster and thus heavier, too heavy for the small mft bodies. I'll have to try them again on the OM-D to see how they will perform, but they were deceiving on the Pens and G3. They just produced ordinary results, without that wow factor they showed on film, to the point that I don't use them anymore, while I'm still using the Zeiss Contax G lenses (at least the two ones I can mount on the mft cameras) and love them.
Oh, I agree that a large zoom defeats the purpose, and the major point of the OM-D over the M9 for me is the AF, but GAS is never about what makes sense. :ROTFL:

I, too, didn't have good luck with M lenses on my first m43 camera (E-P1). I also haven't gotten a good feel, despite the many images posted, for the quality of the longer m43 lenses. The long AF zooms seem ok. Perhaps its just that no one is as enthusiastic about them as Jono is about the Leica R glass. :rolleyes:

Well, I have the 45/1.8, the Panny 45-200, and (hopefully later this week) a 12-50 kit lens. The 75/1.8 is also extremely likely. I'm holding off from the better wide stuff because I'm afraid that I'll never pick up the M9 again. :cry: But it's a good bet that the 12/2 or the 12-35/2.8 are somewhere in my future.

Best,

Matt

scho

CV 50mm f/1.5 ASPH Nokton on the OMD. Boston Ivy growing on a retaining wall along the waterfront trail - will be bright red/orange in a couple of months.

MGrayson

Kurt,

Ashwin with a 645D. You with an OM-D. The world is going crazy! :cool:

Seriously, how do you like it? I had completely the opposite visceral reaction to the OM-D compared to the S2 - but that was just holding them, not taking photos.

-Matt