The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

Mike Woods

Love the church shot Mike - you're really making that camera sing!

all the best
Thanks Jono, I'm really enjoying it. It would be even better if I could get to the bottom of my battery issues....140 shots max per charge on each of 2 x Oly batteries. I did read a report of a charger problem, so I'm hoping a new charger from my dealer will solve the problem.

Best wishes

Mike

Knorp

It would be even better if I could get to the bottom of my battery issues....140 shots max per charge on each of 2 x Oly batteries. I did read a report of a charger problem, so I'm hoping a new charger from my dealer will solve the problem.
Hey Mike,

Same here - after 150 shots or so the battery is depleted even with modest chimping.
Somewhere Jono mentioned getting over 600 shots from one charge !
Luckily I've got two batteries now, but still the yield per battery is poor.

Where did you read about the possible charger problem ?

Thanks and all the best.

jonoslack

Hey Mike,

Same here - after 150 shots or so the battery is depleted even with modest chimping.

Thanks and all the best.
Hi Bart - and Mike as well.

I've just been checking - I took it with one battery to the pink lady tractor run, and the first shot is 3308, the last shot is 3944 . . . sounds like 636 - but it hadn't run out - it went on charge then. Worth noting that a lot was shot with Leica R lenses, in fast batches of photos without too much chimping.

Since then at Latitude festival I used it all weekend - I only shot around 300 shots, but the camera was on a lot of the time over 3 days and it was still showing full charge at the end.

Something's wrong somewhere (let's hope it's the charger!) Just recently I actually got a 3rd party Expro charger because I couldn't get another Olympus battery - that charger seems to charge Olympus batteries quite okay.

Mind you - 150 shots a day seems to me to be 50 too many :) (I plead guilty on numerous occasions!)

All the best

Mike Woods

Hey Mike,

Thanks and all the best.
Hi Bart, I did a search online and found someone on some vague forum with the same problem. He sent the camera back initially and Olympus could find nothing wrong with it. Then on a whim he tried another charger and it cured the problem.

I've borrowed a generic charger from my dealer whilst mine is being exchanged. Interestingly, last night my battery died in-camera, but when I put it into the generic charger it showed an approx 50% charge, and was fully charged in less than an hour....

I'll let you know how it goes, but so far I'm convinced it's the charger....famous last words!

Mike

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
It's not art, but then the title of the forum is Fun with the Olympus OMD. Besides, this flower looks about the way I feel.

Best,

Matt

Knorp

I've just been checking - I took it with one battery to the pink lady tractor run, and the first shot is 3308, the last shot is 3944 . . . sounds like 636 - but it hadn't run out - it went on charge then. Worth noting that a lot was shot with Leica R lenses, in fast batches of photos without too much chimping.
Hi there Jono,

using mainly R-lenses could very well explain the higher rate !
After all there is no AF motor to engage and I was using the Panasonics 14-140 and 100-300 ...
Makes perfectly sense to me.
Now let's see what Mike can tell us about that charger report he mentioned.

Oh - always good to have you around :salute:

All the best.

jonoslack

Hi there Jono,

using mainly R-lenses could very well explain the higher rate !
After all there is no AF motor to engage and I was using the Panasonics 14-140 and 100-300 ...
Makes perfectly sense to me.
Now let's see what Mike can tell us about that charger report he mentioned.

Oh - always good to have you around :salute:

All the best.
The R lenses might explain it . . . but there was lots of IBIS work going on, and at least half the shots were with the 12-50 (not one of the longer lenses).

Right now time to go out and shoot 300 photos would be good!

I'll be interested to see how Mike gets on with his generic charger as well (mine seems to work fine, and it was really cheap).

all the best
. . . and it's good to have you around as well - always a calm, unassuming, wry and intelligent asset to any photographic discussion (it's a kind of compliment you know - I hear they can be terribly effective:) )

B

brian1208

Playing with the EM5 + olympus 45mm at f2.8 to get a nice background blur. The dendrobrium orchid was in my conservatory and the background is the garden seen through the conservatory window. I really like using this combo for shallow DOF images

[/IMG]

m_driscoll

Downtown Seattle and Lake Union from Gasworks Park; and, some people enjoying the day, on and off the lake.

E-M5; 75-300mm; 75mm; 4s @ f/10; -2/3 EV; ISO 200

E-M5; 75-300mm; 117mm; 200s @ f/8; -1/3 EV; ISO 200

E-M5; 75-300mm; 75mm; 1/320s @ f/8; -1/3 EV; ISO 200

E-M5; 75-300mm; 75mm; 1/320s @ f/8; -1/3 EV; ISO 200

E-M5; 75-300mm; 75mm; 1/200s @ f/8; -2/3 EV; ISO 200

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

tom in mpls

I'm using a generic charger and two batteries also and they are working just fine.

Diane
Diane, I see the ads for the generic battery and charger specify that the generic batteries are not compatible with the OEM charger. Does the OEM battery charge in your generic charger? If so, can you show us which one you are using? I don't want to keep track of which battery goes with which charger. I'm ok with using the generic charger with all my batteries, especially if the charger has the fold-out prongs (I hope).

Diane B

Tom. this is the link for the charger and 2 batteries I bought on ebay. It was recommended by someone who had done some testing and found it safe. What do I know about batteries (except for many years Ive used 3rd party plus OEM batteries in DSLRs and my m4/3s too)? LOL.

The charger plugs right into wall so great for travel and it says specifically in the charger fits Oly BLN-1 and it does.

Hope this helps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=150849100138&view=all&tid=781533278005

Diane