The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

B

brian1208

We had the chance to do a bit of night shooting yesterday when the Summer fireworks displays started up at Bournemouth. This shot was taken from the cliffs across the bay using the Olympus 45 f1.8 (I did try the 75-300 but even on the tripod the wind was causing it to oscillate resulting in unacceptable blur, with or without IS.)

The 45 f1.8 is fast becoming my favourite lens

looking at this picture again I see a Muscovy Duck facing a Lion in the smoke - does anyone else see this or do I need to go back on the medication again? ;)

D

Devon Shaw

looking at this picture again I see a Muscovy Duck facing a Lion in the smoke - does anyone else see this or do I need to go back on the medication again? ;)
I see it!

I sold my 7D and beloved 85mm f/1.8 this week and will be getting the OMD and 45mm f/1.8 this week. Very excited.

m_driscoll

A few from Friday at the Pike Place Market.

E-M5; 75mm f/1.8; 8x ND; 180s @ f/1.8; -1/3 EV; ISO 640

E-M5; 75mm f/1.8; 8x ND; 400s @ f/1.8; -1/3 EV; ISO 200

E-M5; 75mm f/1.8; 8x ND; 320s @ f/1.8; -1/3 EV; ISO 200

E-M5; 75mm f/1.8; 8x ND; 1/250s @ f/1.8; -1/3 EV; ISO 200

E-M5; 75mm f/1.8; 8x ND; 1/180s @ f/1.8; -1/3 EV; ISO 400

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

Last edited:
B

brian1208

superb shots Matt, my kind of subject. The detail and colour are spot on

Tesselator

A series with the Contax 100-300mm. Most everything shot in the 250-275mm range at f/4.5.

http://lanaihale.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v56/p502628970-5.jpg
http://lanaihale.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v61/p852168199-5.jpg
http://lanaihale.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v48/p578913680-5.jpg

I am finding that in the 200-300mm range, the lowest shutter speed handheld for me is about 1/200 without getting microblur. So what is that?........about a two stop advantage with the IBIS? Whatever it is, it has made a sizable difference in the way I use this lens.

R
Man, that shot looks awesome!

And I think that's more advantage than two stops. At 200mm on µ4/3 I need 1/500 to kill it. At 300mm I need 1/800 before I can stop praying mightily. I still get blur hand-held at those speeds but it's like only one in three (or maybe half) suffer (if I'm rested and not distracted, etc.).

That the IS can do anything at all at 300mm (600mm equiv) is pretty amazing to me!

Rich M

Man, that shot looks awesome!

And I think that's more advantage than two stops. At 200mm on µ4/3 I need 1/500 to kill it. At 300mm I need 1/800 before I can stop praying mightily. I still get blur hand-held at those speeds but it's like only one in three (or maybe half) suffer (if I'm rested and not distracted, etc.).

That the IS can do anything at all at 300mm (600mm equiv) is pretty amazing to me!
Thanks Tess......coming from you (the Photog with Arms of Steel), that is a very good reality check.

I am seeing an additional benefit (that has mentioned before).......a half press of the shutter button stabilizes the image in the EVF, so your fine focusiing can be accomplished without the subject dancing all over the place.

R

jonoslack

I am seeing an additional benefit (that has mentioned before).......a half press of the shutter button stabilizes the image in the EVF, so your fine focusiing can be accomplished without the subject dancing all over the place.

R
I quite agree - it's so cool isn't it - it makes even the long 3rd party lenses quite useable.
excellent

Tess - you are doomed (but you know that anyway!)

jonoslack

The Kit lens is really not bad.
Here are a couple of shots of Harebells (Campanula rotundifolia) pretty things which grow in patches around here:

all the best

Mike Woods

This 45mm lens is quite a performer. Factor in the price and it's downright outstanding. Some from today, typically British weather. The last one, 'Superdry', was one of those lucky moments....I didnt see the matching logo on the guy's jacket until I downloaded the images :D

Mike

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Photos of my sister-in-law the author for her dust-jacket. With the wonderful 45/1.8.

--Matt