The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

monk

Things break!

Took my OM-D out of the bag this afternoon and there was no image on the back screen. After looking it over carefully there were 3 faint lines on the screen under the outermost glass. The glass itself was perfect. I certainly didn't subject the camera to anymore stress than I have any of my others over the years - no falls or crashes, etc.

Anyone else have this problem so far?

It's on it's way to Olympus repair later today.

Jim
Jim, Sorry to hear about the screen snafu. Will be interested in how Olymous handles their end of it. Please keep us posted.

chrism

Indeed, I wonder why would someone call his/her child "Dog" ?
Better than "Cat" - though I am influenced by the two siamese siblings I inherited from my deceased mother five months ago. The little devils will neither keep quiet nor keep still at night and I'm just about psychotic from sleep deprivation. They do make photo subjects though, so I haven't strangled them the way they deserve just yet.

Jade:

and Opal:

Furry little bleeders!

Chris
(Apologies for the one non-OMD photo)

B

brian1208

I gave the system a good work-out at the Bournemouth Air Festival yesterday using the 75-300 in Aperture mode (set to f8) rather than Shutter priority. Over 1800 shots and around 60 - 70% keepers, I love this little camera :)

Mike Woods

I gave the system a good work-out at the Bournemouth Air Festival yesterday using the 75-300 in Aperture mode (set to f8) rather than Shutter priority. Over 1800 shots and around 60 - 70% keepers, I love this little camera :)
Terrific Brian. Especially like the first two. I was born in Bournemouth...in the days when it was Hurn Airport!

Mike

B

brian1208

Terrific Brian. Especially like the first two. I was born in Bournemouth...in the days when it was Hurn Airport!

Mike
Thanks Mike, yes, its "Bournemouth International Airport" now (always makes me smile)

You may not recognise the place, certainly Christchurch where we live has changed out of all recognition over the years (not always for the best either)

Knorp

Awesome shots, Brian :thumbs:

All the best.

B

brian1208

Sorry Bart, I have no idea I got the idea your name was Maarten (probably a throw back to one of my colleagues when I was working at Moerdijk many years ago - a problem with old age :eek: )

Joe Blackwood

Brian, :thumbs:

Great Airshow photos - as a former US Army helicopter pilot I really liked your capture of the Royal Navy Lynx Helicopters.

How do you like the Olympus 75-100mm on the long end?

B

brian1208

Thanks Joe, the more I use it the better I like it. Its main problems? Well, it very prone to showing the effect of heat haze and other atmospheric disturbance (being effectively 600mm field of view) which made me think it was unsharp at full range.

Working with f8 as here its actually pretty sharp in the centre and coming down to 250 - 270mm its sharp to very sharp.

My real difficulty after using a 5Dmk2 + 70-300LIS for this type of work is the lightness and lack of inertia which makes it difficult to hand-hold in a stable manner.

That's merely lack of practise and after shooting this lot I found I'm getting the hang of it :)

The lightness is a real bonus after 3+ hours of hand-held shooting though so overall, yes, I very happy with it