The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I do find I like the 12-50--which I had planned to sell.

I like to be able to use f/4 - f/5.6 where the 12-50mm can't be at its best. I just don't trust f/4-f/5.6 zooms.

I actually like the OMD so much that I question my X-Pro1 purchase (but still hope for LR to eventually improve)

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Isn't the focusing terribly slow (I have one of these, sitting on the shelf on my lovely old E1 - the only camera I've never sold).
The 14-54 that came with the E-1 would focus slowly on the OM-D, if at all. I asume Uwe has the "II" model which was modified to AF on m4/3 cameras.

ustein

Contributing Editor
> I asume Uwe has the "II" model which was modified to AF on m4/3 cameras.

Right. Is slow but ok with me (unless I get a native m43 version).

Tim

Loving the OM-D

A substantial tree. We keep the big ones! :toocool:
No cropping, a lazy jpg out of the camera.

dhsimmonds

I actually like the OMD so much that I question my X-Pro1 purchase (but still hope for LR to eventually improve)
I agree, in fact my XPro1 with all three lenses is going off for sale today as I much prefer to use the OMD in every possible way; not least because it has a good availability of RAW processors including my favourite C1Pro now on version 7.

f6cvalkyrie

Today is "King's Feast" in my country, so I might as well share a picture with a few national symbols in it

C U,
Rafael

Knorp

Views of Bruges: stayed there for 3 days, unfortunately the weather wasn't too great, but it is a lovely town.

all shot with that zoom without sparkle :p

Last edited:

f6cvalkyrie

Nice pictures from the town where I was born. Thanks for posting these !
Did you have time for a beer in "'t Brugs Beertje" ? (probably the best café in the world ??)

C U,
Rafael

Views of Bruges: stayed there for 3 days, unfortunately the weather wasn't too great, but it is a lovely town.

all shot with that zoom without sparkle :p

Braeside

@Knorp We visited Bruges a few years ago when you could take the ferry from Rosyth, it was great.
Your photos brought back memories and I recognise most of the places including the green windows with the dog! I had the Sony A900 with me on that visit, and I recall was in negotiation for one of Jono's M8 cameras at the time. Funny how photos can bring back such distinct memories, yet I can't remember where I put my keys...

@jono
Also have the 12-35, kind of agree that it is a workhorse but perhaps not a thoroughbred. I am currently trying the Fuji 18-55 zoom on the XP-1 and so far it is looking very nice indeed, more later in the appropriate forum.

@Dave Sorry to hear you are leaving the X-Pro 1 camp, but it is very much a personal choice for each of us. I am enjoying the OIS on the 18-55 on the Fuji now, having been spoilt by the OMD IBIS too much!

Cheers

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I am currently trying the Fuji 18-55 zoom on the XP-1

Would like to hear more from you comparing the X-P1 and E-M5. My main issue is the raw processing with the X-P1. Right now I would prefer the E-M5. Want to love the X-Pro1 and the zoom may get me closer.

Braeside

@ustein

Ditto on the RAW support for X-Pro here.

I am interested in Infrared photography and so far I get better results with the Fuji than the OMD in IR.

Will keep you updated on my feelings about the Fuji 18-55, but I will say mechanically it is all I could wish for, and from the few photos I have taken with it that it does seem to perform very well indeed.

Will take any further discussions to the Fuji forum.

Best wishes

les

Knorp - your Bruges shots are great - it's a charming town.

Here's another who, even on just a one day visit, recognises a number of the sights you selected.

Les

JMaher

It is a charming town. I found a picture in my files (2008) of the window the dog was in but alas no dog in my shot.

Jim

les

Knorp's shots of Bruges showed familiar places, and got me looking back through old files, gee 7 years ago..........time flies.

Anyway it's maybe a reminder of how today's software is capable of a refreshing old shots (for better or worse). Since there was no OMD in those days, it was taken with a Panasonic LC1. (Breaking the rules again).

Knorp

Thanks guys and I'm very happy and pleased my series did bring back good memories to some and some enjoyment to others.

Now, this one is by far my favourite. It shows my dad (yes, the one to the left :p) and this odd looking guy.
We met him in Bruges in a shopping arcade.
Honestly, you could say he kidnapped us and dragged us into his little shop.
There he started telling us fantastic stories and I was actually quite impressed by his detailed knowledge of all kinds of subjects.
Anyway, after a while the main reason for this kidnap popped up: he was trying to sell us stuff ! Really, a great character !
But no big deal: we had a good laugh, bought a calendar with my picture on it and promised to send him a saucy picture postcard from Amsterdam.

You too can send him a card or pay him a visit: he'll be very pleased !
Erwin (Cools?)
Burg 15
Shop 8
8000 Bruges
Belgium