The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

Paratom

I've got the 12 -35, and truth be told I'm more interested in the wider 24 than the longer 108 . . . . . but I can't love the lens I must say, it seems to me to be neither one thing nor the other. . . . . I've just taken a series of shots with the Leica 75 'cron - now THAT makes the sensor shine.
Ok, here I come and say the 12-35/2.8 is one of the reasons why I feel finally at home with the OMD.
I feel the IQ is visibly better than the slower zooms, and f2.8 allows to keep ISO down.OK-f2.8 is not a shallow DOF-lens on m4/3 - but this lens is still small and seems to me like quite good at each f-stop and each focal length.
I believe lens choices get really nice now for m4/3 - the 12-35 and 35-100 zooms, and the 12,25,45,75 mm fast primes-all lovely lenses.

jonoslack

Ok, here I come and say the 12-35/2.8 is one of the reasons why I feel finally at home with the OMD.
I feel the IQ is visibly better than the slower zooms, and f2.8 allows to keep ISO down.OK-f2.8 is not a shallow DOF-lens on m4/3 - but this lens is still small and seems to me like quite good at each f-stop and each focal length.
I believe lens choices get really nice now for m4/3 - the 12-35 and 35-100 zooms, and the 12,25,45,75 mm fast primes-all lovely lenses.
Hi Tom
I completely understand where you're coming from. I agree about the IQ being visibly better than the slower zooms . . but I think it's visibly worse than the nice primes you mention. Perhaps I should be grown up and simply shoot the Leica M9 (or M when it comes) the occasions I need AF are really very few and far between, and I'm pretty good at focusing with a rangefinder. :facesmack:

Friedel

I love the Pana 12-35.
Here some nightshots from Venice, all hand held.

Nighthawks :D

Blue hour in Venice

Mirror

Patina

Hope you enjoy, Karl

Paratom

Hi Tom
I completely understand where you're coming from. I agree about the IQ being visibly better than the slower zooms . . but I think it's visibly worse than the nice primes you mention. Perhaps I should be grown up and simply shoot the Leica M9 (or M when it comes) the occasions I need AF are really very few and far between, and I'm pretty good at focusing with a rangefinder. :facesmack:
I dont have enough experience with the primes to have an opinion vs the 12-35zoom. I just didnt see any weak sides of the 12-35 so far.
However I shot some images with the 25/1.4 and the 75/1.8 over the weekend and have to say specialy the 75/1.8 images look very rich.

As much as I like Leica M I wouldnt want to give up having at least 1 camera with fast AF and I really like the flexibility of the OMD. The colors and also the DR are really great for such a small camera. Plus it feels good in the hand (I allways have the grip mounted) and its weatherproof.

jonoslack

Well, no snow here yet - still, it's got cold . . . and the sun's come out!

A couple from early this morning with the 12-35 . . it really is good.

jonoslack

HI there
Magnus - I'm missing those colours too . . . just drips around here . . . and it's cold!

Bart - I have found it's sparkle. I also found this shot I took with the 12-35 just after I got it. . . . . has something I feel . . although sparkle might not quite be it!

dhsimmonds

HI there
Bart - I have found it's sparkle. I also found this shot I took with the 12-35 just after I got it. . . . . has something I feel . . although sparkle might not quite be it!

As they say a bit cheesy! Hope they don't belong to you! :rolleyes:

A great monochrome image in true Leica user tradition Jono! :thumbs: Or even OM tradition!! :salute:

(Did I mention that there are now three MM's in the Fellowship to my knowledge, which probably means that there are probably more.)

Last edited:

jonoslack

This one was taken with the estimable and diminutive Olympus 9-18 - again, just found it whilst fishing about in sunnier weather - and converted it to black and white (as one does).

all the best

jonoslack

Nothing like a bit of culling
This was taken in Crete in September (using the touch-shutter, I wouldn't have dared otherwise). I may have posted the colour version before, but I'm pleased with the black and white conversion

75-300 at 150mm

all the best

Knorp

No wonder the sparkle went missing ... :shocked:

:thumbs:

All the best.

Knorp

Nothing like a bit of culling
This was taken in Crete in September (using the touch-shutter, I wouldn't have dared otherwise). I may have posted the colour version before, but I'm pleased with the black and white conversion
A powerful portrait that is full of character.
The light is perfect, well captured !

All the best.

jonoslack

As they say a bit cheesy! Hope they don't belong to you! :rolleyes:

A great monochrome image in true Leica user tradition Jono! :thumbs: Or even OM tradition!! :salute:

(Did I mention that there are now three MM's in the Fellowship to my knowledge, which probably means that there are probably more.)
Hi Dave
Thanks . . . . I'm going to make an application . . . when I have a minute!

The feet belong to my middle son - I guess they were't actually quite as dirty as that picture implies!. I don't have an MM anymore however - it had to go back to Solms - I was VERY sad to see it go . . . . . It was a great learning experience for me though - and has rather changed the way I take pictures. Let's face it, monochrome from the OMD doesn't do to bad either!

Bart - thanks for the kind words. I'm doing the annual christmas card hunt - hence the posting and reworking of a few old shots. . . . . now it's back to work.

all the best