The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

jonoslack

HI Annna - thank you, I'm glad you like them.
I see what you mean about posting pictures one at a time I'll try and behave better in future!

Like this you mean?

I can certainly see the logic - any other opinions?

Last edited:

Tesselator

Nothing like a bit of culling
This was taken in Crete in September (using the touch-shutter, I wouldn't have dared otherwise). I may have posted the colour version before, but I'm pleased with the black and white conversion

75-300 at 150mm

all the best

Mel Gibson, is that you?

:D

iiiNelson

HI There
Using the OMD as a landscape camera is interesting - the 12-35 is certainly up to the task - right to the corners.
One of the common criticisms of µ43 is the lack of depth of field control It's a double edged sword though - when shooting landscapes it means you can get a substantial depth of field at f5.6, which also means you're using the best of the lens and getting a hand holdable shutter speed. . . . . not to mention that the little package is hardly bigger than a point and shoot!

Today I took the 75-300 Oly in my jacket pocket (I really can feel the 35-100 coming on!)

Here are some examples (the church was with the 75-300, the rest with the 12-35):

all the best
These shots will make me come back to Micro 4/3 and sell my A77. It's not that I'm not happy with the output I can get from it - It's more of the size of the thing. That was one of the reasons I sold my Canon outfit for a G1 about 4 years ago. The sensors are finally catching up to the quality design of the Panasonic and Olympus lenses. That's not to say I didn't get quite a few keepers with my G1 (or GF1 when I had it pre M9 days) but I feel despite the emergence of industry competitors it still seems Micro 4/3 is really the most mature and complete system.

jonoslack

These shots will make me come back to Micro 4/3 and sell my A77. It's not that I'm not happy with the output I can get from it - It's more of the size of the thing. That was one of the reasons I sold my Canon outfit for a G1 about 4 years ago. The sensors are finally catching up to the quality design of the Panasonic and Olympus lenses. That's not to say I didn't get quite a few keepers with my G1 (or GF1 when I had it pre M9 days) but I feel despite the emergence of industry competitors it still seems Micro 4/3 is really the most mature and complete system.
Hi There
That's me - it makes a great companion to the M, doing the macro, telephoto and AF business.
I think the only valid criticism I have is the CAF, which isn't good, but the single shot AF is so splendid that it really doesn't matter that much. IQ is better than a µ43 sensor ought to be, and the number of good lenses is great.

an OMD with a 12-35 and 35-100 (the classic combination) weighs about as much as the SonyZeiss 24-70, and for most purposes the quality is stellar.

HOORAY!

iiiNelson

Hi There
That's me - it makes a great companion to the M, doing the macro, telephoto and AF business.
I think the only valid criticism I have is the CAF, which isn't good, but the single shot AF is so splendid that it really doesn't matter that much. IQ is better than a µ43 sensor ought to be, and the number of good lenses is great.

an OMD with a 12-35 and 35-100 (the classic combination) weighs about as much as the SonyZeiss 24-70, and for most purposes the quality is stellar.

HOORAY!
Yeah I still have my G1 and my Panasonic 14-45 so it really makes sense to go back to Micro 4/3. I've tried to hold off for Sony and they finally made the body I always wanted (NEX-6) but their dedication to native lenses leaves me wanting in both A and E mount. Mind you the A mount lenses are very good but very large. Well once the A77 kit goes I will see. I may just put the money to a Leica MM.

jonoslack

Yeah I still have my G1 and my Panasonic 14-45 so it really makes sense to go back to Micro 4/3. I've tried to hold off for Sony and they finally made the body I always wanted (NEX-6) but their dedication to native lenses leaves me wanting in both A and E mount. Mind you the A mount lenses are very good but very large. Well once the A77 kit goes I will see. I may just put the money to a Leica MM.
I think the crucial difference is that Sony are definitely trying to sell CAMERAS and LENSES. . . . Whereas Olympus at least are trying to sell a SYSTEM. . . and it shows.

Individually the Sony stuff is all great (I also loved those big A mount lenses). But when you use the Panasonic 12-35 and see how few compromises you are making!

Here is a shot from this morning with the 35-100:

I sold my A77, 135 f1.8, 70-300 G to finance a Leica 135 f3.4 APO, and the Panasonic 35-100. Not so much volume, but I'm not regretting the decision.

all the best

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The 12-35 and 35-100 are my next lenses for m43 ;)

Not sure what I want to trade for that, but sure I will get those lenses :)

iiiNelson

Nope I would be giving anything up it seems. I never wanted for much more in quality of the lenses with M 4/3 except faster zoom lenses and usable high ISO when needed. The primes I owned were all excellent (20/1.7 and 45/2.8.) It seems these issues have been sorted out lately. I could be more than satisfied with the 25/1.4, 12-35, 35-100, and MAYBE a 75/1.8 or 100-300.

My A77 w/grip kit consists of the 16-50/2.8 and the 70-200/2.8. Both are fantastic lenses but certainly a chore to lug around with my M kit. The 70-200 alone warrants that I use one of my larger bags unless I only want to bring one body and a P&S.

E

Easyki

Hi Jonathan, just read your article on "Henri"on your blog. Wow, your pictures are really out of this world! Amazing! Congratulations, very well done!!!
Greetings from Belgium,
Kris

Mike Woods

Very quiet in here folks....Let's keep it moving along.

The joys of Xmas shopping, OMD and 45 f/1.8:

At least someone, got what they wanted :D

Mike

jonoslack

Hi Guys
As Mike says (and those are a great set). It's getting slow!
Here are a few from the other day:

first two with the 35-100, third with the 75-300

Cheeky buggers those Robins - they come in the house given half a chance, but the minute you get a camera out they're gone!