The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

scott kirkpatrick

The Olympus M5 for cheapskates: E-PLM5 with CV15

I came late to this party with an early Christmas Pen-Lite M5. For walkaround, I got a cheap (and uncalibrated) Leica adapter and am using the Voightlander CV15/4.5 with manual focus by adapted scale. Our snowstorms don't have the staying power that Maggie is encountering, so here, one day after all traffic stopped in Israel, are some desert colors in clear winter light:

I've tested this combo against a flat wall of books, and there seems to be some softness at the corners, even with the reduced M43 image, but at f/5.6 to 8 in normal environments, it's not a problem. I also have a Leica 135/3.4 scary-long lens and will try to provide some results with it.

scott

kweide

Enter the Blue Moon
Another one from the "Blue Moon Series."

Olympus E-M5 + M.Zuiko 75, noNR
ISO200 @ f1.8, 1/160 second, 75 mm focal length​

jonoslack

Hi There
Love that one Kweide - excellent.

We had 5 minutes of fine light this afternoon. I'll probably dig out more later, but here are a couple of snaps:

First is with the 12-35 and the second with the 35-100 panasonics.

all the best

jonoslack

Re: The Olympus M5 for cheapskates: E-PLM5 with CV15

I came late to this party with an early Christmas Pen-Lite M5. For walkaround, I got a cheap (and uncalibrated) Leica adapter and am using the Voightlander CV15/4.5 with manual focus by adapted scale. Our snowstorms don't have the staying power that Maggie is encountering, so here, one day after all traffic stopped in Israel, are some desert colors in clear winter light:

I've tested this combo against a flat wall of books, and there seems to be some softness at the corners, even with the reduced M43 image, but at f/5.6 to 8 in normal environments, it's not a problem. I also have a Leica 135/3.4 scary-long lens and will try to provide some results with it.

scott
Always found the 15 unsatisfactory on the OMD . . the 135 f3.4 is, however, absolutely fantastic - the IBIS and EVF make it easy to focus and it's scarily sharp.

scott kirkpatrick

Re: The Olympus M5 for cheapskates: E-PLM5 with CV15

Always found the 15 unsatisfactory on the OMD . . the 135 f3.4 is, however, absolutely fantastic - the IBIS and EVF make it easy to focus and it's scarily sharp.
What Leica to M43 adapter are you using? With a lens as short as 15mm, the adapter thickness is critical. The error I see is enormous, but for the 135, a little nudge puts in the corrections to the scale at near infinity. Closer, I'll have to see how focusing the 135 goes. But you can set and forget the 15 for anything around 2 meters.

scott

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Fun with the Olympus OMD: Leica 135/3.4 this time

OK, Jono, I'll give it a shot. Indoors, handheld, focusing by eyeball, checking with the 10X zoom:

1/30 sec
Now if cats were only as statuelike as teapots...

1/15 sec
both 135/3.4 at ISO 2500

scott

Maggie O

M

moffatt1980

Truly great images. I’m impressed by the OMD shots. I did not realized that such shallow DOF is possible with M43. Thank you for posting.

jonoslack

Hi There
This one is with the Panasonic 12-35

I think that William Boyd would call this:

The Blue Afternoon

all the best

Annna T

HI Annna - thank you, I'm glad you like them.
I see what you mean about posting pictures one at a time I'll try and behave better in future!

Like this you mean?

I can certainly see the logic - any other opinions?
Yes, this is what I meant. I find it looks better in that square format. How do you like it yourself ?

PS : sorry for this late reaction, I haven't been there for a while.. you know, Christmas season frenzy and that kind of thing..

JMaher

Since I haven't been on for a while.

Breakfast at Bouchon in Las Vegas at the recent CES convention where I got to look over many of the new electronic toys. I had my first opportunity to look over the 12-35 Panasonic lens which had a very nice feel - I think I want one. This with the 25MM Panasonic.

Jim