The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I added a like ! I don't particularly like hens, but your pictures are great : you are doing wonder with that lens.

Did you also get the 1.4 TC ? When you order it with the lens, you get it at half price, while without the lens it get very pricey. So I ordered the lens + TC already before Christmas, profiting that there was 10% off on all Olympus products at my favorite online seller.. This made for a very good price, but I'm still waiting for that combo.. Delivery has shifted and it is now supposed to arrive in mid February. Patience.. Patience.. I think that the TC aren't yet available, or are they ? May be a marketing trick of Olympus to sell their stuff more expensively at impatient photographers.
I ordered my combo back in October 2014 and received both mid December. What a wonderful lens - TC combo! It is definitely worth the wait (and the money).

jonoslack

Jono, your photos would have made most excellent illustrations for this piece of delight from my favorite director/producer:
HI Maggie
Indeed - however:

I would note: chickens are living manifestations of death, bred only to be domesticated and killed. When we look into their eyes, we see the part of ourselves of which we are most afraid – our ultimate destination. Death.

Not our chickens! - they're bred to live a happy and fulfilled life in our garden, giving our dog Caspar a proper mission in life (to hunt them down and kill them - but he fails) and to provide us with eggs!

Apart from a little cockerel culling (3 is 2 too many!) they all live their allotted time.

retow

I would be interested to see how the Oly 40-150/2.8 compares to the Sony 70-200/f4 used on a A7II and A7r with the full sensor and in crop mode. Weight and size of these two zooms are about the same. Maybe Jono will do us the favor? :D
Oh, and a comparison with the Fuji 50-140/2.8 would be nice as well.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I would be interested to see how the Oly 40-150/2.8 compares to the Sony 70-200/f4 used on a A7II and A7r with the full sensor and in crop mode. Weight and size of these two zooms are about the same. Maybe Jono will do us the favor? :D
Oh, and a comparison with the Fuji 50-140/2.8 would be nice as well.
Everybody should be able to get what they want, BUT IMHO this is apples to oranges comparison - sorry :confused:

jonoslack

Maggie, Bart
Update on our chickens
You may have noticed the point about the extra cockerels, there are 3 of them . . . well, Tom The Hat took them away today, and he has homes for at least 2 of them, so they'll go to somewhere nice and free-range with a new lot of hens (and no competition). . . . .the 3rd one might have to be his supper, but there you go.

jonoslack

I added a like ! I don't particularly like hens, but your pictures are great : you are doing wonder with that lens.

Did you also get the 1.4 TC ? When you order it with the lens, you get it at half price, while without the lens it get very pricey. So I ordered the lens + TC already before Christmas, profiting that there was 10% off on all Olympus products at my favorite online seller.. This made for a very good price, but I'm still waiting for that combo.. Delivery has shifted and it is now supposed to arrive in mid February. Patience.. Patience.. I think that the TC aren't yet available, or are they ? May be a marketing trick of Olympus to sell their stuff more expensively at impatient photographers.
Hi Annna
Thank you for the kind words - the lens is lovely - you'll adore it . . .
I didn't get the 1.4TC - WEX were showing that they'd never had any, added to which a so really use that sort of an adapter . . . so I thought I'd just go for the lens.

scott kirkpatrick

I didn't get the 1.4TC - WEX were showing that they'd never had any, ...
Availability of the extender is a little strange. I had one on order with Olympus direct US sales since announcement. They finally emailed me to say that the order had gotten stale and I needed to contact them to reauthorize it. That seemed clumsy, so I placed an order with B&H, which also listed it as a preorder. Three days later it was sitting in my postoffice box in Texas. Of course it is still a few weeks until my next visit to the US, the world's largest duty-free store, when I will get to start using it.

The deal in which you get a discount for buying the 40-150 + extender is only offered in the Euro domain. I tried to get it in the $$ world, and just ended up confusing people.

The extender seems to be intended for the critter-shooters who are presently enjoying the 100-150 end of things. So how many of you are shooting this lens at 40-75 mm?

scott

Knorp

The extender seems to be intended for the critter-shooters who are presently enjoying the 100-150 end of things. So how many of you are shooting this lens at 40-75 mm?

scott
Hi there Scott,

turns out that I'm using the lens for approx. 75/25% at its longer/shorter end.
For 'critters' you really want that extender.

Kind regards.

f6cvalkyrie

Help, our backyard is on fire (maybe it is just Jono roasting his chicken)

Both with the E-M1 and a Enna Tele-Ennalyt 400/4.5

CU,
Rafael