The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus OMD

mediumcool

From an architectural shoot

Olympus E-M5 w/11–22 Zuiko at 11mm 1/40 f/7.1 ISO 200

Shot just after a Mamiya 645 picture facing the other way in the kitchen/dine area, showing the second courtyard outside. No compositing done, just local adjustments in C1. While the 645 pictures are crisper and more detailed, this is an excellent result given the hand-held ease of its taking! Considering that the Aptus sensor is 7.68x larger in area (or the Olympus’ sensor is 13% the area of the Aptus’).

Last edited:

scott kirkpatrick

Re: New kitten's first hour in our house

Tai was abandoned, raised for a month by grad students in the lab, now needs a home...

PB100549 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Anyone who has experience getting a 5 yr old cat to accept a <4 months old kitten into his home please send me a PM with suggestions.

scott

griffljg

Just got my E-M1 back from repair. -> One of the lugs that hold the camera strap to the camera had come loose. - Fortunately the camera was in a carrying case. And the rubber grip at the back had become unglued. - This seems to be a common fault with Olympus. The rubber grip on my E-300, E-3 and XZ-2 have all become unglued over the years. So, while the warranty was still valid, I decided that a repair was in order.

This afternoon, the rainbow lorikeets were making one hell of a racket. I dug out the Bigma, fitted it to the E-M1 via an MMF-3 adaptor and went out to see what I could catch. The Bigma being a 50-500mm lens, I have found that the best way to set the camera up is to set the focus to a single point, the exposure to 1/1000s shutter speed priority and then let the camera do the rest through a combination of setting the aperture and/or varying the ISO.

Today was unfortunately more than a bit overcast and rainy. I had very few keepers. This was the best of a bad lot:

PB140012 by LJGGriffiths, on Flickr

1/1000s, f/6.3, ISO:1600, Focal Length: 500mm. Hand-held.

f6cvalkyrie

It's getting colder here, and I have installed the bird feeders in the garden.
This wood nuthatch (Sitta europaea) was one of the first visitors ... head down as usual ...

E-M1 with Nikkor IF-ED 300/2.8

C U,
Rafael

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Second KittyPOW

A kitten goes from infancy to late adolescence in about 3-4 months, so I'll be sharing some documentary updates. I hope not too often...

PB281583 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Tai offends our older cat, who is actually terrified of her, but he has decided to stay with us.

scott

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Some lovely images there, Maggie.

I now own a black OMD E-M5 Mk II; have for a fortnight or so. Having a silent shutter plus superb IBIS and a really lovely feel in the hand, and a super EVF, means that this is now my carry-everywhere body (usually with the 20/1.7 or 25/1.8 mounted), but I have a deep video question that a member here might be able to help with.

How does one select the IPB 52Mbps setting that was much touted when this camera was released? I can see how to select the All-Intra 77Mbps setting (it's helpfully marked "A-I" in the video settings!), but having been through the many menus many times, I cannot see how to select IPB. And when I analyse all footage that I have recorded using the various settings, the A-I setting is not 77Mbps, but 51.45Mbps, which is very close to 52! And the SF (superfine) setting is significantly less, at around 30Mbps.

Can anyone help me track down elusive IPB? Happy New Year to everyone, too!

Elderly

I had a little time to spare in London yesterday and so I popped into the Alec Soth exhibition in the Science Museum; it's well worth a visit,
some wonderfully caught moments and beautifully printed.