The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OMD gold award at dpreview

Knorp

Hi there Jono, thanks for the link.
Did you order the 12-50 and grip as well ?

Edit: I'm interested to read how it compares to the G3.

Kind regards.

Last edited:

jonoslack

HI Bart
The review is interesting - they seem to think that the dynamic range is better than the G3 . . . and the RAW high ISO looks better as well.
I've ordered the kit lens - the grips come free (which was why I cracked and ordered it today).

I've actually put my A900 and some lenses up on ebay - I've come to the conclusion that with the M remaining my main camera, mirror less cameras are good enough now to mean that I simply don't need a large SLR anymore (it wasn't getting used much anyway).

the 24-100 kit lens on the OMD really is my favourite range, and the macro facility makes it a real 'do everything'

I'm going to spend some time doing a proper comparison with the NEX7 and decide which one is for me. I've always had a soft spot for Olympus (E10, E1, E3).

all the best

Knorp

Aha, spring-cleaning your gear arsenal ? :D
Regarding Dpreview's article, just read the comparison and conclusion sections and it seems obvious the E-M5 definitely has an edge over the G3.
Two weeks ago, I had the opportunity to hold an E-M5 with the 12-50 and grip and I was very very impressed by this package.
FWIW the lens has some nifty tricks up its sleeve.

However without the option of a free grip here, I'll wait a bit to see what Leica has in store for us ... :rolleyes:

All the very best.

Last edited:

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I'm going to spend some time doing a proper comparison with the NEX7 and decide which one is for me. I've always had a soft spot for Olympus (E10, E1, E3).
'What he said', exactly.

Braeside

Hi Jono,

Interesting that you are selling the Sony A900 too. I am weighing up doing this as well, as I am not using it much, as I prefer the much smaller Ricoh GXR with Zeiss & Leica RF primes for most work.

However there will be times I would like to have a faster AF system for wildlife or motor sports. I think I could part with the A900, but selling my good Sony Alpha & Zeiss lenses would be very hard, so I'm not thinking of doing that, possibly the solution is an NEX-7 plus the LA-EA2 phase detect adaptor so I have the option of using my Alpha mount lenses. I'm not really wanting another DSLR at all, as I just wouldn't get enough use out of it.

Things are further complicated by my lust for the Fuji XP1, but that can wait:)

Never had any Olympus or M4/3 gear, but will watch with interest how it goes.

Has it arrived yet? ;)

jonoslack

HI Bart - David
Yes - spring clean clear out!
I was going to sell the Zeiss 135 f1.8 as well . . . . .until I looked at it again, so that one stays.
I don't often want fast AF - and the OMD does seem fast anyway for single shot mode, and I really never use continuous focus anyway. But as you say David the NEX-7 plus adapter is always a possibility.

The Fuji XP1 obviously has fantastic image quality, but I don't need that kind of AF, and the M9 does a grand job already, and with the M10 likely to appear this year, I don't need to go down that road!

I picked the camera up at lunchtime - nice little package - very quite shutter (hooray) and it feels and looks solid and nice - I've put a couple of out of camera jpgs in the 'fun with OMD' thread. I hope to spend a happy evening fiddling with it and checking out the menus.

all the best

Braeside

Decisions, decisions...

Saw the photos you posted, looking good. I'm sure you will be adding more super lenses to that system.

Happy fiddling Jono :)

bradhusick

The review says the focus tracking on the OM-D is very disappointing. Too bad - I thought I could use it for fast moving sports. I have written a review of the NEX-7 with the phase adapter as a sports camera that will appear soon on stevehuffphoto.com.

Terry

The review says the focus tracking on the OM-D is very disappointing. Too bad - I thought I could use it for fast moving sports. I have written a review of the NEX-7 with the phase adapter as a sports camera that will appear soon on stevehuffphoto.com.
For focus tracking looks like the Nikon 1 is the best game in town.

bradhusick

For focus tracking looks like the Nikon 1 is the best game in town.
Unfortunately, the frame rate of the Nikon 1 is 5 fps while focusing, but an impressive 10, 30 or 60 fps while focus is locked, but it takes between 23 and 86 seconds to clear the buffer after 1-3 seconds of shooting. That's a non-starter.

Terry

Unfortunately, the frame rate of the Nikon 1 is 5 fps while focusing, but an impressive 10, 30 or 60 fps while focus is locked, but it takes between 23 and 86 seconds to clear the buffer after 1-3 seconds of shooting. That's a non-starter.
I don't want to hijack the thread but did you test J1 or V1? The buffers are very different.

nostatic

fwiw this is a really fun camera. I like the 12-50 a lot though I had to stumble on some operation options (manual...what's that?!?!). The macro feature is cool, and being able to choose between regular zoom operation and a "power zoom" is nice - at least they give you the option. I've been *really* impressed with the 25/1.4 and the 45/1.8 reminds me of Pentax ltd lenses. My g/f likes the touchscreen focus/shutter option and I like the EVF since I don't have to don reading glasses to shoot using that.

My main gripe with the E-P1 was AF speed and some operation quirks. Same with the NEX-5N. I have no complaints about the AF on the OMD. I'm sure I'll run into some quirks - and I wish it had pull focus in video via the touchscreen. But so far so good.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well,

it really depends what you are looking for. I took Motor Cross pictures (something rather really fast moving objects) and had no issue with the V1 and 10-30 lens attached in continuous focus and continuous shooting mode. All tack sharp! I had no issues with slow clearing buffer .... ????

250swb

I tend to pick out the good points of the review, which basically say that 'all things considered it is so marginal compared to other mirrorless cameras you can only get better by going FF'.

My other camera is a Leica M9....., and after an initial rough and ready outing today I would tend to agree with DPR. The OM-D doesn't feel out of place against a FF setup with the worlds best lenses, different sure, but ethos very much the same. Tomorrow I will try my 4/3 HG lenses to compare with the 12-50mm kit lens, but I'm happy so far.

Steve

jonoslack

fwiw this is a really fun camera. I like the 12-50 a lot though I had to stumble on some operation options (manual...what's that?!?!). The macro feature is cool, and being able to choose between regular zoom operation and a "power zoom" is nice - at least they give you the option. I've been *really* impressed with the 25/1.4 and the 45/1.8 reminds me of Pentax ltd lenses. My g/f likes the touchscreen focus/shutter option and I like the EVF since I don't have to don reading glasses to shoot using that.

My main gripe with the E-P1 was AF speed and some operation quirks. Same with the NEX-5N. I have no complaints about the AF on the OMD. I'm sure I'll run into some quirks - and I wish it had pull focus in video via the touchscreen. But so far so good.
Hi Todd
I'm with you . . . . after a few hours playing I'm in danger of superlatives. Suffice to say, it feels like a camera, the kit lens appears to be both nice to use and excellent quality for a 4 time zoom, the shutter noise is delightful. I've only shot jpg so far (just playing) but they seem really good . . . .and I was always a sucker for the Olympus colour.

jonoslack

My other camera is a Leica M9....., and after an initial rough and ready outing today I would tend to agree with DPR. The OM-D doesn't feel out of place against a FF setup with the worlds best lenses, different sure, but ethos very much the same. Tomorrow I will try my 4/3 HG lenses to compare with the 12-50mm kit lens, but I'm happy so far.

Steve
Ditto - my feelings and situation exactly

V

Vivek

Hi Jono,

I looked up and found out that the NEX-5N and the NEX-7 also were awarded this gold. ;)

The M9 seems to have missed the gold.