The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How to use OM-D with 3rd party MF lenses

ustein

Contributing Editor
How to use OM-D with 3rd party MF lenses? Get one today and want to use the magnification mode.

What settings and how to operate.

TimWright

On page 93 of the manual it shows how to set up the various buttons. I set the video record button to the magnify function.

Jonas

1 Mount the lens and set the camera to A mode. Now you can shoot away.

2 Decide if you want to make use of the IBIS. If so, set the IBIS to, IS1 (standard position, not for panning). Do this in the menu, Camera 2 symbol, and the options about stabilization is the second from the top. With the option set to IS1 you can press the right arrow button. This will take you to the option for setting the focal length and you just pick the value of your choice. For my Elmarit-R 60/2.8 the 65mm setting works fine, for example.

3 Decide if you want the stabilization to kick in when halp pressing the shutter button. You probably want this. Once again enter the Menu. Pick the Cogwheels. Go to Cogwheel C. The bottom most option is called Half Way Rls With IS. Set it to On.

4 Then you probably also want the IS to work in magnified mode. Back to the Menu, the Cogwheels and now Cogwheel D. Scroll down "LV Close Up Mode" (second page I think) and set it to Mode 2.

5 Now you can enjoy a stabilized and enlarged view in the viewfinder.

If I'm wrong please correct me, the menu system is tiresome and I may have missed something. One thing; if you want continues shooting with IBIS there is a setting somewhere for that which you'll also have to enable.

regards,

EDIT: Maybe Tim understood what you asked better than I did. And like him I have the REC button set to Magnification (in one of the MySet slots). You won't miss the REC button original function as you always can start recording a movie by setting the top dial to the movie camera symbol and then start and stop the record session with the shutter button.

ustein

Contributing Editor
So you can use the shutter release for video and leave the movie button to magnify.

Is there a setting that allows to shoot without lens (for these lenses).

Jonas

So you can use the shutter release for video and leave the movie button to magnify.(...)
Yes.
At some other MySet slots I have the REC button set to DOF control instead leaving the enlargment to kick in when moving the focusing ring.

Jonas

So, Uwe, did anything of this help?
BTW; I assumed you were thinking of still images when posting your first question. In movie mode there is no magnified view available.

250swb

I set my Fn1 button to magnify and saved this setting for 'legacy' lenses as a Myset. That way the button can still be used for AEL lock etc in other Myset's.

It took me a while to realise you only need to dab the button, first time to get the green box in the position you want, then dab again to magnify the view. I started out holding the Fn1 button in and expecting it to magnify :rolleyes:

Steve

Jonas

I set my Fn1 button to magnify and saved this setting for 'legacy' lenses as a Myset. That way (...)
Hi Steve,

Yup, there are so many ways to set everything up... I'm still experimenting with MySet slot 2 and 3.

There are also to few customization possibilities; I use the grip, the first part of it, and wonder why the camera front wheel and shutter button can't be used for something else. Now the same controls on the grip are doubled. What about getting direct access to ISO, for example, using the camera front wheel?

regards,

Jonas

P

powerjosl

1 Mount the lens and set the camera to A mode. Now you can shoot away.

2 Decide if you want to make use of the IBIS. If so, set the IBIS to, IS1 (standard position, not for panning). Do this in the menu, Camera 2 symbol, and the options about stabilization is the second from the top. With the option set to IS1 you can press the right arrow button. This will take you to the option for setting the focal length and you just pick the value of your choice. For my Elmarit-R 60/2.8 the 65mm setting works fine, for example.

3 Decide if you want the stabilization to kick in when halp pressing the shutter button. You probably want this. Once again enter the Menu. Pick the Cogwheels. Go to Cogwheel C. The bottom most option is called Half Way Rls With IS. Set it to On.

4 Then you probably also want the IS to work in magnified mode. Back to the Menu, the Cogwheels and now Cogwheel D. Scroll down "LV Close Up Mode" (second page I think) and set it to Mode 2.

5 Now you can enjoy a stabilized and enlarged view in the viewfinder.

If I'm wrong please correct me, the menu system is tiresome and I may have missed something. One thing; if you want continues shooting with IBIS there is a setting somewhere for that which you'll also have to enable.

regards,

EDIT: Maybe Tim understood what you asked better than I did. And like him I have the REC button set to Magnification (in one of the MySet slots). You won't miss the REC button original function as you always can start recording a movie by setting the top dial to the movie camera symbol and then start and stop the record session with the shutter button.
I just tried your guide and I can't seem to get point 4 to work. no matter what I set in the settings (mode1 or mode2) it does not magnify in the viewfinder when half pressing the shutter button.
magnify works when I assign it to the fn1 button.

250swb

DPR have just done a 'how to use the E-M5' article and very good it is.

What I learned and didn't realise before was that if you simply press Fn2 and turn the front scroll wheel you get a variety of options, one of which is the magnify mode! So all you need to do is press Fn2 anyway, no need to assign a dedicated button for magnifying.

Steve

P

purethanol

I just tried your guide and I can't seem to get point 4 to work. no matter what I set in the settings (mode1 or mode2) it does not magnify in the viewfinder when half pressing the shutter button.
magnify works when I assign it to the fn1 button.
That's not what he meant. LV Close Up Mode allows you to half press the shutter button to activate IBIS without losing magnify view. Normally half press shutter makes magnify view go away. You still need to set magnify as a function button. It doesn't make sense for magnify to always come up just from half pressing the shutter button. :facesmack: