The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Can the focus point on the OMD made be smaller?

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Uwe, reading that page in the manual and looking at the graphs suggests strongly that the green rectangle covers the same area in the finder when you zoom, but this means that (because you are magnifying the image) the focus rectangle is commensurately smaller.

See "Comparison of AF and zoom frames" graphic, middle R of page. HTH, kl

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Uwe,

I might not have been clear: the area of the green rectangle seems not to be able to be changed in the 100% image view—but if you follow the instructions on p. 45, you see that the rectangle area does not change as you zoom in to the image—but, in reality, because the part of the image you are viewing is being magnified, so too is the rectangle getting effectively smaller, covering smaller and smaller area of the original image. And, as far as I can see, as this magnified view is zoomed in the EVF, we are shown precisely the area of the 100% image that is being used to assess focus.

Had the OP on DPR followed these instructions, for example, at some magnification only the woman's head would have been covered by the rectangle, so the buildings behind would not have been a problem. At least, from reading that part of the manual, I believe this is how it works!

The following description was provided by Olympus for the EP3, I believe is applicable to the OMD as well:
"The AF frame has fixed dimensions; however, the size of the zoom frame can be reduced by adjusting the magnification factor of the zoom frame AF function. As the magnification is increased, the size of the zoom frame decreases. Because the camera only considers the picture information within the zoom frame when it sets autofocus, the result is that the camera uses a smaller area of the scene to determine focus. This configuration makes the camera achieve autofocus with greater precision than when sampling using the AF frame."
(source: E-P3 &gt Frequently Asked Questions)

shadzee

The bad part is (atleast I have not been able to figure it out), the changes will NOT stick.
With this camera, ALL I want is being able to set it in Center-Point AF, and make the focus area very small.... AND, have this setting stick, so that I don't have to re-set it every time I turn the camera on. ;-(

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Sam, if it's any consolation, I have not found a way to do that either.

There is a thread over at DPR where tips are being shared:

Tips and tricks for setting up the OM-D E-M5: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

and (to Uwe) I was wrong; you can adjust the size of the rectangle. If you have not worked out how to do this, and assuming you have the SDP (or whatever the quick menu is called) showing, you press the button on the side of the EVF, and this brings up Live View on the LCD. Touching the lower LHS cycles you through a number of options; one of them is the focus point (pointing finger and rectangle).

As soon as that's operative, a sliding bar appears on the RHS of the LCD; moving that changes the magnification and the size of the rectangle.

Nowhere in the manual does this appear, as far as I have found!

Cheers

Kit

Terry

The bad part is (atleast I have not been able to figure it out), the changes will NOT stick.
With this camera, ALL I want is being able to set it in Center-Point AF, and make the focus area very small.... AND, have this setting stick, so that I don't have to re-set it every time I turn the camera on. ;-(
There is no way to get it to stick. I just got roped into a discussion about it this weekend. Read my posts (TEBnewyork) on this thread:

I think the Olympus menu is clear and functional: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Unfortunately I also could not find a way to make the smaller AF point stick. I also want a configuration where I can have the smaller AF point just in the center of the frame.

Hope Olympus can fix that in a FW release :rolleyes:

Paratom

The Leica x1 has a very nice spot focus mode. Would be great if Oly could integrate something via firmware.

Besides that I now sometimes use face detection with the option to focus on the eyes. Seems to work (not allways) but I dont like to rely on such auto auto features.

shadzee

This drove me nuts ;-(

Throughout the years, I've always set my focus in Center (as small as possible) and recompose after the AF is achieved (if needed). I guess I picked up this habit due to inadequate AF performance in earlier generations of Pentax DSLRs. With every digital/film camera I've ever used, this is a simple setup... and seems to me a gold standard feature. I guess not with the Olympus E-M5.

I had a heck of time trying to find a work around for this simple task with the E-M5.

I returned the camera !! ;-(

In a way, the E-M5 was the best digital camera I had ever owned/used. I may still lose the battle (with myself) and re-purchase the camera ;-)

jsparks

Does Olympus have any place to report bugs? Seems to me this is a bug (camera doesn't remember the size of the focus box). If enough different people report this as a bug, maybe it would be fixed.

I'm really tempted to buy an EM-5, but this drives me nuts on my EPL-1 (which has other UI issues that I expect are actually fixed on the EM-5, but the focus box size is my biggest complaint) to the point where I'm not sure I can handle another Olympus camera unless they fix this.

Terry

Does Olympus have any place to report bugs? Seems to me this is a bug (camera doesn't remember the size of the focus box). If enough different people report this as a bug, maybe it would be fixed.

I'm really tempted to buy an EM-5, but this drives me nuts on my EPL-1 (which has other UI issues that I expect are actually fixed on the EM-5, but the focus box size is my biggest complaint) to the point where I'm not sure I can handle another Olympus camera unless they fix this.
It depends on whether you consider it a bug or a "feature". I'm pretty sure all Olympus cameras have the same behavior. :banghead::cussing:

jsparks

I'm sure Olympus sees it as a feature, but if enough people consider it a bug and tell Olympus, maybe they could change their mind!

I really would to get an EM-5, but I'm not sure I could live with this bug. :mad:

Now how does the focus spot work on a NEX-7... :eek:

Hosermage

Even if we can't shrink it or make it stick... the question to me is: so is it not focusing correctly? I've only had mine for a day, but it's been pretty spot on for me. I, too, set the AF to focus in center spot, and I have not run into a case where I wished that it would focus on something else in the current box. If it missed, it's usually because I didn't put the box on the right subject :p And, if we make the box even smaller... then there's more chance for me to miss the subject.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
@ Hosermage: you can shrink it (see my post above) but you need to do it each time you turn the camera on. Assuming yours wakes from sleep, the setting will be kept; if you turn off, it resets itself to default focus rectangle size. Not a problem for me.

What is a problem is that after five minutes or so, mine powers down and will not wake up. I must have a look though the menus and see what's not set correctly.

Knorp

What is a problem is that after five minutes or so, mine powers down and will not wake up. I must have a look though the menus and see what's not set correctly.
Hi there Kit,

same here with mine: I have to switch it off and back on again ... :loco:
Please let us know the wrongdoer if you find it.

Kind regards.