The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Can the focus point on the OMD made be smaller?

250swb

@ Hosermage: you can shrink it (see my post above) but you need to do it each time you turn the camera on. Assuming yours wakes from sleep, the setting will be kept; if you turn off, it resets itself to default focus rectangle size. Not a problem for me.
But you don't need to go through the whole touch screen proceedure each time to get the small focus rectangle.

Yes by default it appears normal size after you switch off then on again, but the setting is remembered if you have Fn2 set to Magnify (press Fn2 and at the same time turn the front control dial through the options to get to Magnify). So all you need to do after switching on is hit Fn2 once and the small focus rectangle (or large if you like) will appear and stick while you are using the camera. Press Fn2 again and the focus point will fill the screen as per checking manual focus etc, press Fn2 again and you are back to your small focus rectangle.

Steve

ricseet

Not sure what you guys talking about sticking. I set my focus area at the center spot and it stays.
Go to Gear , select AF/MF and scroll all the way to next page HOME SET. Here you have 3 options and select the center focus area.
Now this is like the E5, when you touch any of the 4 buttons with the arrows it shifts the focus point for you. I find this handy. If you dislike this feature, then you have the option to convert these 4 arrowed buttons to FUNCTION BUTTONS.
Sorry if I have barked up the wrong tree.

Millsart

I think its just an oversight of not making the size change sticky. The Fuji X100 was the same way for a while.

There is no reason why they'd give you the option of changing the AF point size when using the touch to select focus point, which then continues to keep the smaller size for as long as you keep the camera on, or don't press the AF home button.

Its got to be just an oversight where its not remembered after power off and hopefully they will fix it.

Surprisingly though, I have yet to really find an issue of where the standard size AF box has given me any issue with focusing on the wrong thing

250swb

Sorry if I have barked up the wrong tree.
It's about the size of the focus rectangle, not where it is on the screen. The size you prefer can only be remembered if you use the Fn2 button after switching on, it doesn't appear the right size when you switch on.

Steve

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
@ David: you'd think so, but not. On the way back from LA, I experimented with a number of combinations, and I had to remove the battery to get the thing to power on again (not even the power switch would wake it up!!!).

Definitely a bug.

Hosermage

@kit: Hm... mine will turn off after 5 minute, as it was set. And I just need to switch off/on to turn it back on. I'm running a test now to try "Auto Power Off: Off" to see if it turn off again. So far, sleep after 1 minute is activated, will update back soon.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
David: definitely please keep us informed; it's the only irritation presently (I missed a shot out of the plane while I was trying different settings; I had to take the grip off and pull the battery to get it going again!).

Hosermage

OK, after 10 minutes, it wakes with a touch of the shutter button (half press).

I think it's working as expected! Now I wonder how much battery it eats while "sleeping"? I'm tempted to just leave it sleeping and manually turn off when I want.

Just checked my firmware, it's 1.1 and it was shipped to me from Spain, not sure if that matters, and it's chrome.

I did have a different problem today with the PL25. After playing around a bit, it started to have that famous rattlesnake sound, even though I had it on Aperture priority mode! The aperture started to jump around based on the light source it was pointed to. I simply had to turn off/on and it'll behave normal again. Seems like there's some software booboo there. :) They should have sent a prototype to Jono for testing!