The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OMD vs NEX7 - resolution - discuss

Paratom

HI Steve
I quite agree about the Fuji - different thing - Terry thinks so as well, she's trying to decide what to have as well as the Fuji - just like I'm trying to decide what to have as well as the M9.
However, I don't think the NEX7 is a niche camera - it's part of a successful range, and if the native lenses available are not as complete as m4/3, there's no reason to believe they won't be in a year or so.
From my point of view the NEX7 and the OMD cover very similar ground. This test was to try and discover whether the sensor of the NEX7 showed a huge advantage over the OMD at base ISO . .

all the best
So which one do you prefer and why?

Terry

HI Steve
I quite agree about the Fuji - different thing - Terry thinks so as well, she's trying to decide what to have as well as the Fuji - just like I'm trying to decide what to have as well as the M9.
However, I don't think the NEX7 is a niche camera - it's part of a successful range, and if the native lenses available are not as complete as m4/3, there's no reason to believe they won't be in a year or so.
From my point of view the NEX7 and the OMD cover very similar ground. This test was to try and discover whether the sensor of the NEX7 showed a huge advantage over the OMD at base ISO . .

all the best
Agree - with everything above.
So far, and this is a very short time, what I'm finding is the NEX7 begs to be used a lot to be intuitive and get the memory of what you've assigned to which button especially the center button. Yes the tri-navi is very easy because the three main parameters are there. However, if you don't really remember exactly what you've put in each spot the Sony really does slow you down. So, once you put it down for two weeks and used another camera you do have a bit of a learning curve again. In this regard the OMD's super control panel makes life easier.

Paratom

Agree - with everything above.
So far, and this is a very short time, what I'm finding is the NEX7 begs to be used a lot to be intuitive and get the memory of what you've assigned to which button especially the center button. Yes the tri-navi is very easy because the three main parameters are there. However, if you don't really remember exactly what you've put in each spot the Sony really does slow you down. So, once you put it down for two weeks and used another camera you do have a bit of a learning curve again. In this regard the OMD's super control panel makes life easier.
I can 100% confirm this regarding the Nex7. I just used it last weekend after not having used it for 3 weeks and I found it really confusing.
I even start to think that overall I might prefer the 5n user interface over that of the 7. For some reason I get the feeling that too many buttons where each button can serve several functions is too complicated for my limited brain. In this regard the multi wheel function stuff of the Nex7 combined with the menustructure is not intuitive for me.
For some reason I think I felt beter with the 5n (which I still have kept).
I have tried several times now but I think the Nex7 is just not for me. I will probably let it go and use the 5n again instead.
I am interested in checking out the OMD as well - it sounds from your experience that the omd is more intuitive to use.

V

Vivek

Confusing dials and buttons in the NEX-7 will not yield optimal results and skew the resolution comparisons. Major impediment.

Terry

Confusing dials and buttons in the NEX-7 will not yield optimal results and skew the resolution comparisons. Major impediment.
I don't know what you mean here or if this is meant as a joke.Please explain.

Terry

I thought it was exactly what is typed. Very serious and factual. Too many dials and buttons and menu navigation are an impediment to photography.

Camera should not get in the way.
Of course. I just didn't relate that to an objective discussion of differences in resolution.

V

Vivek

Please excuse me if I thought I was being part of a discussion (several posts above me appear to discuss related to what I posted). My bad.

Terry

Please excuse me if I thought I was being part of a discussion (several posts above me appear to discuss related to what I posted). My bad.
It wasn't meant as "this is off topic". What I meant is remembering the buttons and what you use them for will certainly affect your photography. What it won't do is change whether or not there is a real world advantage of the extra pixels.

jonoslack

Well I quite agree Vivek - if you're confused about which button is which then you aren't likely to get the best out of the camera - both in terms of IQ, and of course, more importantly, in terms of IC (Image Content).

Terry, I think you hit the nail on the head here - if you're in the swing the NEX7 is lovely to use, but if you haven't picked it up for a few days it's less than intuitive. The OMD isn't like that . . . I haven't actually tried putting it down for a week or so, but it was absolutely obvious how to use straight away.

The other thing is a truth with Sony's small camera division - when the next NEX appears, you can be fairly sure that everything will have changed all over again.

Which leads back to my original issue . . . how much does one lose in terms of IQ by shooting the smaller Olympus sensor?.

. . . . .

monza

=if you're in the swing the NEX7 is lovely to use, but if you haven't picked it up for a few days it's less than intuitive.
But Jono, if one sets the N7 up for simple minds, it's really not that difficult is it? :) Thanks for that thread, I've enjoyed shooting it that way.

The OMD isn't like that . . . I haven't actually tried putting it down for a week or so, but it was absolutely obvious how to use straight away. Which leads back to my original issue . . . how much does one lose in terms of IQ by shooting the smaller Olympus sensor?.
I didn't have that particular experience with the OM-D, it was quite confusing to me out of the box.

As far as IQ, the OM-D will never give the shallower DOF of an APS-C which is why, as an adapted lens geek, it's the 7 for me. Not resolution-related, but I consider it part of the IQ.

Hosermage

Does there exist some sort of translation chart of DOF between 2X crop factor vs 1.5X? For example, will a f/1.5 on m4/3 feel more like a f/2.0 or f/2.4 equivalent on APS-C, and what is the translation to FF?

Paratom

....As far as IQ, the OM-D will never give the shallower DOF of an APS-C which is why, as an adapted lens geek, it's the 7 for me. Not resolution-related, but I consider it part of the IQ.
This is one of the arguments for the Nex IMO. The Nex kit lens at the long end gives you visible shallower DOF than comparable m4/3 lenses.
f6.3 on a m4/3 sensor would deliver comparable DOF like f8.0? on dx and like f11 on full frame.

Not that shallow DOF would be allways preferable- but one has more flexibility to use it if one wants.

monza

A 50/1.4 for example is roughly equivalent in field of view & DOF to 100mm f/2.8 on m4/3, and ~75/2 on APS-C.

I.e., multiply the focal length and the f/stop by the crop factor.

Paratom

Does there exist some sort of translation chart of DOF between 2X crop factor vs 1.5X? For example, will a f/1.5 on m4/3 feel more like a f/2.0 or f/2.4 equivalent on APS-C, and what is the translation to FF?
I dont know of any charts, but my guess and feeling is about 1 f-stop difference between 4/3 and 1.5crop , and roughly another f-stop between 1.5 and ff, when we compare lenses with the same fov from the same distance.

Hosermage

wow, thanks, I didn't know I can multiply the f-stop as well as the fov. In that case, I need a 25mm f/0.5 lens... :D

jonoslack

HI Robert
But Jono, if one sets the N7 up for simple minds, it's really not that difficult is it? :) Thanks for that thread, I've enjoyed shooting it that way.
Touche - no you're right

I didn't have that particular experience with the OM-D, it was quite confusing to me out of the box.
Well, I guess this just goes to show that usability is pretty subjective - I feld the OMD was more 'camera like' but perhaps the operative word here is *I* :)

As far as IQ, the OM-D will never give the shallower DOF of an APS-C which is why, as an adapted lens geek, it's the 7 for me. Not resolution-related, but I consider it part of the IQ.
I can see your point . . . for me however I really like the larger depth of field of the OMD for nature and close up work, where there will still be plenty of bokeh . . . If I want to shoot people with a short depth of field I'll use full frame.

A distinction is as good as a rest!

all the best

ptomsu

Workshop Member
HI Robert

Touche - no you're right

Well, I guess this just goes to show that usability is pretty subjective - I feld the OMD was more 'camera like' but perhaps the operative word here is *I* :)

I can see your point . . . for me however I really like the larger depth of field of the OMD for nature and close up work, where there will still be plenty of bokeh . . . If I want to shoot people with a short depth of field I'll use full frame.

A distinction is as good as a rest!

all the best
+1 from my side on all from Jono!

V

Vivek

Sorry about the OT. :eek:

I disagree, Robert. With adapted lenses that aren't corrected for the thick stack of glass on a m4/3rds sensor, the DOF charts go astray.

Just look at and think about why the "photographing your bokeh" thread exists and fluorished. There is a direct relationship between between the thick filter stack and and the fuzz generated.

A certain camera company actually took pains to reduce the sensor glass thickness to the bare minimum just to avoid these aberrations.

So, it is just not a matter real estate that determines the DOF.

Naturally, the system m4/3rds lenses (the fly by wire variety) take these aberrations into consideration and are corrected accordingly.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>for me however I really like the larger depth of field of the OMD for nature and close up work, where there will still be plenty of bokeh

For landscape often too.

>. . . If I want to shoot people with a short depth of field I'll use full frame.

Yes