Site Sponsors

Thread: First I ever heard of this lens

Post Thanks / Like

First I ever heard of this lens

I knew about some specialized Nikons from the 1960s like this.

Olympus ultra micro lens 12mm f/2.2 ordered by TDC in M42 mount and C reverse | eBay

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: First I ever heard of this lens

I have one as it was originally made and unlike the modified one for sale.

It is a C-mount lens with very short back focal length (not 17.5mm) and about 10mm image circle at infinity.

Yes, reversed, it makes one sharp macro lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I have one as it was originally made and unlike the modified one for sale.

It is a C-mount lens with very short back focal length (not 17.5mm) and about 10mm image circle at infinity.

Yes, reversed, it makes one sharp macro lens.
    I love these kinds of things. The Nikon Ultra micro lenses were some of the sharpest lenses ever made. But when they do show up, they are in the thousands of dollars.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography..._RF/index2.htm
    Last edited by RichA; 10th May 2012 at 10:34.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rich,

This would give you more authentic information:
    RED BOOK NIKKOR AID INTERNATIONAL-ENGLISH

Unwittingly, I might have contributed to the extra orbitant prices.

I asked Akiyama to translate his site in to English (it was only in Japanese at that time) when I was looking for information on a 55/2 Ultramicronikkor (micro and not macro) that I bought from a local shop. Interestingly, they had advertised this lens in a local (Dutch) camera magazine for some years. I was the only one who took the bait and bought it (11 years ago?).

There is a local Nikon shop that had a "museum" (probably still has). Full of unbelievably rare and esoteric stuff like made for NASA gear and such, including the never heard of 50mm f/2 UV Nikkor.

Needless to say, my interests and pursuits have changed radically over the years.

Anyone wants >1,000 lp/mm Zeiss/Nikon lenses, drop me a line or look at a WTS post I made a while ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Rich,

This would give you more authentic information:
    RED BOOK NIKKOR AID INTERNATIONAL-ENGLISH

Unwittingly, I might have contributed to the extra orbitant prices.

I asked Akiyama to translate his site in to English (it was only in Japanese at that time) when I was looking for information on a 55/2 Ultramicronikkor (micro and not macro) that I bought from a local shop. Interestingly, they had advertised this lens in a local (Dutch) camera magazine for some years. I was the only one who took the bait and bought it (11 years ago?).

There is a local Nikon shop that had a "museum" (probably still has). Full of unbelievably rare and esoteric stuff like made for NASA gear and such, including the never heard of 50mm f/2 UV Nikkor.

Needless to say, my interests and pursuits have changed radically over the years.

Anyone wants >1,000 lp/mm Zeiss/Nikon lenses, drop me a line or look at a WTS post I made a while ago.
    I can't imagine anything on that list going for less than $1000.00. Be interesting to see how some of them behave on the new 36mp D800E.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The price is subjective. A Nikon 45mm f/2.8 AiP ("only 10,000" ever made) is listed for $700.

How much one would pay for a Repro Nikkor 85/1 (less than 100 odd ever made?)?

BTW, they do very well on the D800E.

Some here Nikongear.com (subscription required to see the "premium boards"!) show images made with such esoteric Nikkors.