Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Panasonic 14-45mm versus Olympus 12-50mm on E-5M

  1. #1
    Senior Member RichA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Panasonic 14-45mm versus Olympus 12-50mm on E-5M

    More chromatic aberration on the Panasonic, but it is much sharper wide open at the edge. I missed the extra 2mm in width since I sold my Nikon D300 and 16-85mm (a fantastic, underappreciated lens) so I'm glad I got the 12-50, but for maximum benefit, it has to be stopped down. The Olympus camera's I.S. was used.


  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Panasonic 14-45mm versus Olympus 12-50mm on E-5M

    I don't understand why Oly doesn't use or pass along the CA info that is available from Panasonic lenses.

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Panasonic 14-45mm versus Olympus 12-50mm on E-5M

    I do not think there is "more" CA from the Pana lens. It is just different.

    The Oly 12-50 image also has lots of it. May those colors don't bother you?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    234
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 14-45mm versus Olympus 12-50mm on E-5M

    Wow...the 12-50 is pretty bad. Look at the trees. And I don't think you would need I.S. for a shot like this.

    This shot aside, I hope people just aren't leaving the IBIS on all the time. In my experience it should be used sparingly.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Hosermage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Posts
    1,034
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Panasonic 14-45mm versus Olympus 12-50mm on E-5M

    Quote Originally Posted by jsnack View Post
    I hope people just aren't leaving the IBIS on all the time. In my experience it should be used sparingly.
    I'm very interested to hear more on this topic, and perhaps input from others as well. Does leaving IBIS on all the time compromise the IQ?
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com

  6. #6
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Panasonic 14-45mm versus Olympus 12-50mm on E-5M

    For a fair comparison, shouldn't the Zuiko be used at 14mm?

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    etrigan63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth, Sol System (near Miami, FL)
    Posts
    2,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Panasonic 14-45mm versus Olympus 12-50mm on E-5M

    Perhaps the OP has a bad copy of the lens? I have seen other photos from this lens and they are quite spectacular.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    234
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 14-45mm versus Olympus 12-50mm on E-5M

    Quote Originally Posted by Hosermage View Post
    I'm very interested to hear more on this topic, and perhaps input from others as well. Does leaving IBIS on all the time compromise the IQ?
    Yes, it does. IBIS should only be considered (not automatically used) with longer shutter speeds like 1/30th, 1/15th, etc... Of course this will vary with the focal length. You can hand-hold a 20mm lens easier than an 45mm or longer lens.

    It should never be used when the camera is on a tripod. While IBIS is helpful under certain conditions, it is a feature whose usefulness is way overblown, IMO. This is speaking for still photography only. Taking videos is another matter.

  9. #9
    Senior Member RichA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 14-45mm versus Olympus 12-50mm on E-5M

    Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Perhaps the OP has a bad copy of the lens? I have seen other photos from this lens and they are quite spectacular.
    No the lens is very good centrally, as expected and it is great for macros, but even at 14mm, matched to the 14-45mm, it isn't as good on the edge.


  10. #10
    Member Elliot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 14-45mm versus Olympus 12-50mm on E-5M

    That comparison is disappointing. I guess the 12-50 could be sold for enough to recoup the difference between it and the body alone.

  11. #11
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 14-45mm versus Olympus 12-50mm on E-5M

    Not sure how good the sample of the 12-50 was used in this comparison, I just can assure you that mine does much better. I would never even consider the Panasonic 14-45.

  12. #12
    Senior Member RichA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 14-45mm versus Olympus 12-50mm on E-5M

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Not sure how good the sample of the 12-50 was used in this comparison, I just can assure you that mine does much better. I would never even consider the Panasonic 14-45.
    I'll test it against another one at my camera store to see if there is anything. But could you post a corner shot with your 12-50mm? I could then get an idea if it's a lens variation thing.

  13. #13
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 14-45mm versus Olympus 12-50mm on E-5M

    Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    I'll test it against another one at my camera store to see if there is anything. But could you post a corner shot with your 12-50mm? I could then get an idea if it's a lens variation thing.
    This is the best I could come up with quickly, but shows upper right corner crop, upper left corner crop and complete image. Keep also in mind that focus was in the range of server, so the leaves in the right upper corner are for sure out of optimal focus.

    Shot at 12mm F3.5.

    IMHO nicely sharp, definitely much better than your sample.

  14. #14
    Member kwalsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    147
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 14-45mm versus Olympus 12-50mm on E-5M

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    IMHO nicely sharp, definitely much better than your sample.
    Really? I don't see that at all. The shirt and hair are definitely not that sharp. I'd say it looks a lot like the OPs copy. And the OPs copy compared to the 14-45 is matching what the tests of both lenses have shown. The 14-45 is known for excellent sharpness across the entire frame at the wide end.

    Which is not to say the 12-50 is bad or anything, it is doing a whole lot of things (wider zoom range, macro, weather-sealed, internal zoom) for roughly the same price. If it is very sharp in the center, and less sharp on the edges that puts it in the company of lots of compact 4 to 5x zoom lenses.

    Ken

  15. #15
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 14-45mm versus Olympus 12-50mm on E-5M

    Quote Originally Posted by kwalsh View Post
    Really? I don't see that at all. The shirt and hair are definitely not that sharp. I'd say it looks a lot like the OPs copy. And the OPs copy compared to the 14-45 is matching what the tests of both lenses have shown. The 14-45 is known for excellent sharpness across the entire frame at the wide end.

    Which is not to say the 12-50 is bad or anything, it is doing a whole lot of things (wider zoom range, macro, weather-sealed, internal zoom) for roughly the same price. If it is very sharp in the center, and less sharp on the edges that puts it in the company of lots of compact 4 to 5x zoom lenses.

    Ken
    Well,

    obvious that individual requirements are different.

    Anyway if I want something really sharp in WY I need to take my Leica WATE - then there are no longer complaints. But for what price? Size, much less flexibility, others .....

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    449
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 14-45mm versus Olympus 12-50mm on E-5M

    I think we are simply forgetting that the Panasonic 14-45 has always been a pretty good lens by any zoom lens standards. Perhaps the Olympus 12-50mm should be seen for what it is, a fairly good design, a do-it-all lens that matches the E-M5's needs until the HG lenses come along.

    Steve

  17. #17
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 14-45mm versus Olympus 12-50mm on E-5M

    Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    I think we are simply forgetting that the Panasonic 14-45 has always been a pretty good lens by any zoom lens standards. Perhaps the Olympus 12-50mm should be seen for what it is, a fairly good design, a do-it-all lens that matches the E-M5's needs until the HG lenses come along.

    Steve
    HG or SHG lenses for m43 - I WOULD LOVE THAT !!!!!

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Columbus,Ohio
    Posts
    396
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 14-45mm versus Olympus 12-50mm on E-5M

    If you need edge to edge sharpness the 12-50 just isn't the right tool for the job. Luckily there are quite a few excellent options for m4/3 such as the 12mm f2.0, 20 and 25mm's and the 45, all of which are a good bit sharper than it (and even the 14-45, which I own as well)

    While the 14-45 is a good lens for a kit zoom, you have to remember than your giving up some features such as the option for electronic zooming, and also a weather sealed build. Not to mention going to a far more useful 24mm equiv on the wide end. Its simply a lens that would be great for general photography at the beach or any other places where you don't want to be changing prime lenses and worried about the elements as much.

    Also don't forget that while the 14-45 is a great kit zoom, Panasonic themselves don't even include it anymore, now offering the 14-42 which doesn't compare. I have the 14-45 and got a 14-42 with a G3 I tried and while okay for what is basically a $100 kit zoom, it didn't come close to the 14-45. Probably the very reason the 14-45 still sells for so much when 14-42's are a dime a dozen (not literally)

    Personally I applaud Olympus for giving a pretty highly spec'd "kit zoom" like the 12-50 with all its features for just $300 with the EM-5. They could of just thrown in the 14-42 kit as the only option and said spend $500 if you want a weather sealed lens to match your body.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    449
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 14-45mm versus Olympus 12-50mm on E-5M

    Yes, in the UK the 12-50mm comes in at less than half price if bought as a kit with the body. There's no cynical marketing plan going on there.

    Steve

    P.S. Which got me thinking, with a free grip and 50% off the lens for buying the E-M5 kit, I hadn't realised that is 400 worth of free stuff! And I'd have bought it anyway, good one Olympus!
    Last edited by 250swb; 25th May 2012 at 08:57. Reason: additional info

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •