The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

jonoslack

Hi David
I hope you're well

My work is complete :deadhorse: Jono has said "The grip turns it into a REAL CAMERA" I've always had grips and he hasn't:thumbs:
Hated the things . . until now - I still like the camera without, but if you're using bigger lenses then it's really good.

Still enjoying the Pentax Ltd's, the only reason to use Pentax.
Cheers Dave
I think it's a lovely camera - I still miss my K5 and the little primes - Silas bought one recently - what's not to like? small, quiet, lovely ergonomics, OVF, excellent high ISO. it was inability to get a decent zoom which did for me (and an unhealthy assumption that I needed 24mp). I was tempted to get one again recently (prices is pretty low right now). But the OMD covers the same ground.

jonoslack

I took a leap of faith and ordered the 12-35 yesterday . . . . . . .
. . . . and today I cancelled the order. After shooting with the 12-50 a bit more carefully. Sure, the 12-35 is faster, and I'm sure the IQ will be better, but it doesn't have the excellent macro mode of the 12-50, and of course it isn't as long. Added to which, it's £1000 in the UK, I'm sure it's worth it, but it's a lot of dosh! If I really want to spend that much I think I'd probably get more mileage out of the 7-14.

So I'm going to pass (for now anyway).

250swb

I took a leap of faith and ordered the 12-35 yesterday . . . . . . .
. . . . and today I cancelled the order.
Ahh, but it makes sense when the Panasonic 35mm to ???mm is released later. And I will always have my 12-50mm (and it is a great macro mode!).

Steve

jonoslack

There's always tomorrow. :D
Yes, indeed there is!
The truth is that I don't need it right now. Next major trip is in September, so it would be more sensible to wait until the dust (and the price) settle a little, and I've spent more time with the lenses I have.
The 35-100 I really won't be interested in anyway, don't shoot sport, and I'm covered well with 45, 60, 100-300, 180etc.

And Olympus might bring something out by then as well.

all the best

V

Vivek

There is a "pre-sale" eBay listing for only $1751 (shipped). :bugeyes:

mbroomfield

There's a link to a review of the lens here
43 Rumors | Blog
You seem to have to go back to the german version to get the tabs to work and the graph isn't translated, but from the comments and what I can see it looks like a very uniform lens res and CA(?) wise both across the frame and across apertures.. a very slight bump in performance at F4.
Perhaps someone who understands german can interpret the graph.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Yes, indeed there is!
The truth is that I don't need it right now. Next major trip is in September, so it would be more sensible to wait until the dust (and the price) settle a little, and I've spent more time with the lenses I have.
The 35-100 I really won't be interested in anyway, don't shoot sport, and I'm covered well with 45, 60, 100-300, 180etc.

And Olympus might bring something out by then as well.

all the best
Jono,

you should not say that you are not interested in the 35-100. I had this lens with aperture 2.0 for my E5 and it was the one I almost always had on. It is a perfect portrait lens especially for indoors and of course any indoor or low light events. This is the absolutely best 2.8/70-200 equivalent I have ever used!

So the incarnation from Pana for m43 will be the killer lens IMHO, especially because it is much smaller and less weight. Alt least you should give it a try ....