Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 48 of 48

Thread: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    Announcement due tomorrow!

    Here is a review and to me the specs, size and importantly the performance all look good....

    Google Translate

    This is what I've been waiting for....

    Reported at

    http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-hot-pana...comment-148445

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    178
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    So, what should I do with my 4/3s lenses? They work well but focus slowly on the E-M5 and they weigh a lot more.

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    Thanks for that Terry
    This looks splendid
    Fast, small and weather sealed. Hooray!

    Just this guy you know

  4. #4
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,344
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    My wallet will be facing some tough times...

  5. #5
    bahamot
    Guest

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    Great but sad news for my wallet

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    34

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    Did you see the weight? 305 grams! Although heavy for a m43s lens, that's still a third the weight of the 35mm equivalents. That's pretty impressive and the performance seems to be very good. I'm surprised you can stop it down to F8 without any problem and even f11 looks usable.
    Charles - flickr

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by cjlacz View Post
    Did you see the weight? 305 grams! Although heavy for a m43s lens, that's still a third the weight of the 35mm equivalents. That's pretty impressive and the performance seems to be very good. I'm surprised you can stop it down to F8 without any problem and even f11 looks usable.
    Well you will have it Japan before we come close to seeing it over here

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    For sure. I had figured it might not be available until naqr winter of 2012. Guess we'll see but I'm interestd.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    My wallet will be facing some tough times...

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145
    terry
    www.terrybanet.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #10
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    etrigan63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth, Sol System (near Miami, FL)
    Posts
    2,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    Hopefully, they'll announce the companion 35-100 f/2.8 soon as well. i could use that for the International Ballet Festival in September.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

  11. #11
    boyzo
    Guest

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Thanks for that Terry
    This looks splendid
    Fast, small and weather sealed. Hooray!
    Looks like a must have for the OM-D but what happened to the Leica name on the front

  12. #12
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,872
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    This is great news!

    I am also looking forward to the 2.8/35-100 which will be a much more versatile lens for my type of work.

    I wonder if Olympus will come with similar fast zooms in that range?

  13. #13
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    great ... 24mm effective is about my favorite width ... hello dolly!

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by cjlacz View Post
    Did you see the weight? 305 grams! Although heavy for a m43s lens, that's still a third the weight of the 35mm equivalents. That's pretty impressive and the performance seems to be very good. I'm surprised you can stop it down to F8 without any problem and even f11 looks usable.
    My personal comparison between lenses includes the DOF and FOV.
    Thus for me a 12-35/2.8 m4/3 lens translates into a 16-50/4.0 dx lens or a 24-70/5.6 ff lens, or a 35-90/8.0 MF lens.
    So in one way I still find it exciting and very usefull to get such a lens - on the other side Ithink it is not really comparable with a 24-70/2.8 full frame lens.
    Last edited by Paratom; 21st May 2012 at 02:58.

  15. #15
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,872
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    My personal comparison between lenses includes the DOF and FOV.
    Thus for me a 12-35/2.8 m4/3 lens translates into a 16-50/4.0 dx lens or a 24-70/5.6 ff lens, or a 35-90/8.0 MF lens.
    So in one way I still find it exciting and very usefull to get such a lens - on the other side Ithink it is not really comparable with a 24-70/2.8 full frame lens.
    Sure it is not comparable, because it is WAY BETTER! Much smaller, much lighter and OIS (or IBIS in the OMD) makes it a real winner.

    Actually I am quite happy with not so narrow DOF in general shooting. And if it really comes to narrow DOF need, well just put my 1.4/50 or 1.4/75 M lens on the OMD and here we go! DOF you only can dream of in FF with 2.8/24-70.

    Kudos to m43 and Pana / Oly for getting their stuff together finally!
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  16. #16
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Sure it is not comparable, because it is WAY BETTER! Much smaller, much lighter and OIS (or IBIS in the OMD) makes it a real winner.

    Actually I am quite happy with not so narrow DOF in general shooting. And if it really comes to narrow DOF need, well just put my 1.4/50 or 1.4/75 M lens on the OMD and here we go! DOF you only can dream of in FF with 2.8/24-70.

    Kudos to m43 and Pana / Oly for getting their stuff together finally!
    Peter,
    I didnt mean to talk against a 12-35/2.8 m4/3 lens and indeed I find it quite interesting. And of course f2.8 is quite a bit faster than f5.6 of the standard m4/3 kit zooms.
    I just meant it doesnt make much sense to compare it to f2.8 24-70/2.8 ff lenses.
    I think if I would have to buy a mirrorless today I would choose the OMD.
    Tom

  17. #17
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    My personal comparison between lenses includes the DOF and FOV.
    Thus for me a 12-35/2.8 m4/3 lens translates into a 16-50/4.0 dx lens or a 24-70/5.6 ff lens, or a 35-90/8.0 MF lens.
    So in one way I still find it exciting and very usefull to get such a lens - on the other side Ithink it is not really comparable with a 24-70/2.8 full frame lens.
    Every lens in m4/3 is going to have the same issue is comparing DOF that you are going to get. What people have been lacking in m4/3's is the ability to stop action in a darker environment without jacking up the ISO. The important primes have already arrived and this is really starting to fill in the missing links.

    Going with m4/3 you know you will be 2 stops behind FF. However, I watch my friends on FF also struggle sometimes on landscape with DOF wanting more in focus

  18. #18
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Every lens in m4/3 is going to have the same issue is comparing DOF that you are going to get. What people have been lacking in m4/3's is the ability to stop action in a darker environment without jacking up the ISO. The important primes have already arrived and this is really starting to fill in the missing links.

    Going with m4/3 you know you will be 2 stops behind FF. However, I watch my friends on FF also struggle sometimes on landscape with DOF wanting more in focus
    Yes, both has its place. I even often shoot the same shot twice with different f-stops to compare the effect and to decide later which one I prefer.

    The stopping action in darker environment is a factor for sure, specially since the smaller sensors have come close to the larger sensors in regards of noise behaviour.

  19. #19
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    Looks good!

    I'm well out of this market, and it's not my type of lens anyway, but it is vey nice to see this development continue in Micro-FourThirds.

    Bravo!

    Godfrey

    (I've got the Skopar 35/2.5 on the M9 as my carryabout this week ... )

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    501
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    That is tempting. Especially with retirement due in 3 months, so only happy snapping to do. Well will keep on line agency work going so I can avoid paying tax out of my pensions. Now the question is What body? Don't want Oly OM-D but perhaps there will be a GH3 deal with this lens. Obviously heavily discounted to pensioners
    David

  21. #21
    Senior Member bradhusick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    2,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    53

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    I'd really like to try this lens on the OM-D for indoor sports such as box lacrosse or basketball. Sounds promising.
    Brad Husick

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    234
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    Nice...couple this with the upcoming Olympus 75/1.8 and you've got a small, light and very capable travel system.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  23. #23
    Senior Member ggibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    743
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    The sample images I've seen are incredibly sharp and impressive all the way to the edge. Like shots from a prime lens. I better start saving for this and the 35-100mm.

    The GH3 announcement should be very interesting.

  24. #24
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    The samples at Dpreview look very good indeed. Some of the portrait stuff is quite frankly amazing. Not entirely too sure why I would lug around the bigger DSLRs when you could use this instead.

    The only downside I can see is the street price for an OMD body and the projected price of this lens (999?) makes it a more expensive proposition than a Pentax K-5 and DA 16-50 and about the same price as a D7000 and 17-35/2.8.

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    The samples at Dpreview look very good indeed. Some of the portrait stuff is quite frankly amazing. Not entirely too sure why I would lug around the bigger DSLRs when you could use this instead.

    The only downside I can see is the street price for an OMD body and the projected price of this lens (999?) makes it a more expensive proposition than a Pentax K-5 and DA 16-50 and about the same price as a D7000 and 17-35/2.8.
    Pentax has really increased the price of their lenses. The 16-50 is $1499 at B&H now, and the 50-135 is $1599.

  26. #26
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    That is tempting. Especially with retirement due in 3 months, so only happy snapping to do. Well will keep on line agency work going so I can avoid paying tax out of my pensions. Now the question is What body? Don't want Oly OM-D but perhaps there will be a GH3 deal with this lens. Obviously heavily discounted to pensioners
    David
    Hi David
    it's bl33ding obvious - you need an OMD - unless you really want to shoot video
    it's a duck - it's lovely, and the grip turns it into a
    Real Camera

    when you want it to be.

    Just this guy you know

  27. #27
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    The only downside I can see is the street price for an OMD body and the projected price of this lens (999?) makes it a more expensive proposition than a Pentax K-5 and DA 16-50 and about the same price as a D7000 and 17-35/2.8.
    HI Louis
    but isn't it the same thing? . . . I think it is . . . except that it's much smaller.
    . . . and there are now quite a lot of really good lenses, some of them at reasonable prices.

    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  28. #28
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by jsnack View Post
    Nice...couple this with the upcoming Olympus 75/1.8 and you've got a small, light and very capable travel system.
    I quite agree - an excellent combination . . add the 100-300 and you have a complete range from 24 - 600 - all in pretty decent quality.

    Just this guy you know

  29. #29
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by toobacat View Post
    Pentax has really increased the price of their lenses. The 16-50 is $1499 at B&H now, and the 50-135 is $1599.
    Still cheap as chips here in the UK - the 16-50 is currently only GBP 625 (USD 1000) at WEX.

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Louis
    but isn't it the same thing? . . . I think it is . . . except that it's much smaller.
    . . . and there are now quite a lot of really good lenses, some of them at reasonable prices.

    all the best
    Not trolling just making the comparison. My dream is a camera that is very small with excellent high iso capabilities just like the monster cameras made by N & C. My GH-2 isn't quite there yet so I'm hoping the GH-3 will be.

    LouisB

  30. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Hurst, Texas (DFW area)
    Posts
    179
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Well you will have it Japan before we come close to seeing it over here
    Hi Terry
    I sure hope we are not seeing a repeat of the GH2 availability issue when it was announced. It was, in theory, available, but try finding one. This appears to be applicable to the OMD/EM-5 as well.

    Paul

  31. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    34

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Well you will have it Japan before we come close to seeing it over here
    90,000 yen and out on 6/21. Not sure how that compares to the US. They are taking reservations now.
    Charles - flickr

  32. #32
    Member gilpen123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    I might buy but not really that excited. I'm waiting for the 75 1.8 from Oly.

  33. #33
    Senior Member RichA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by gilpen123 View Post
    I might buy but not really that excited. I'm waiting for the 75 1.8 from Oly.
    Pricewise, if it's as good as the Nikon FX stuff, then it's a genuine bargain. That's a tall order though.

  34. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    Hmm, it's good news for many folks as zooms just have such wide appeal. I used the 24-70/2.8 on my Canon 5d full frame and never liked the results. Preferred the primes in that range as my style of fotos were based around bokeh. So this lens won't fit in my needs.

  35. #35
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    The sample images I've seen are incredibly sharp and impressive all the way to the edge. Like shots from a prime lens. I better start saving for this and the 35-100mm.

    The GH3 announcement should be very interesting.

    I don't know whether we are looking at different samples, but I don't really like the samples shown at Dpreview here :
    02-Wide-Olympus: dpreview review samples: Galleries: Digital Photography Review

    In particular the pictures named 1974939.jpg to 1974942.jpg

    I have downloaded these first four pictures and corrected CA, added some more sharpening, but still : I don't like the corners I'm seeing, they are quite blurry. So the center is very sharp, but less so the corners.

    After reading the review of the Spanish "DSLR Magazine" and looking at their charts, I was very impressed, especially when confronting these charts with those they have issued concerning the primes, but now that I've seen the Dpreview samples my enthusiasm has sunk.

    It is still difficult to judge for several reasons :

    1) Most of the shots have been taken at F2.8 while we don't know where they have adjusted focus.
    2) Dpreview warned that they only shot with a pre-production sample.
    3) All the foliage is blurry, probably indicating a windy day.

    Still 1974939.jpg was shot at F4 and 1974942.jpg at F4.5

    I don't really like the out of focus areas I'm seeing in picture 1974943.jpg
    The leaves are double edged and the brick wall not so good looking. On the portraits they look better however.

    I'd like to see more F5.6 and F8 pictures, where you are sure that everything should be/is in focus. The max aperture is good, because it would allow you to use faster shutter speed, but if the lens doesn't deliver good corners, then I'll pass it.

  36. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    501
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi David
    it's bl33ding obvious - you need an OMD - unless you really want to shoot video
    it's a duck - it's lovely, and the grip turns it into a
    Real Camera

    when you want it to be.
    My work is complete Jono has said "The grip turns it into a REAL CAMERA" I've always had grips and he hasn't

    Still enjoying the Pentax Ltd's, the only reason to use Pentax.
    Cheers Dave

  37. #37
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    There is a roundup of 12-35 reviews and sample pictures posted at m43rds rumours this morning.

    43 Rumors | Blog | New Panasonic 12-35mm X lens reviews roundup!

    Damn.

    This lens and the newly announced 75/1.8 are making me rethink whether to stay in the m43rds camp or go to the new Fuji X Pro 1.

    Damn, damn, damn!

    LouisB

  38. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brampton, ON Canada
    Posts
    175
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    I had a chance to handle and shoot with a prototype 12-35/2.8 last weekend at a local show. It wasn't my camera/card so I have nothing to show, but the lens was quite impressive. Nice feel, not plasticy, quick focus, quiet, nice size/weight. From what I could see on the LCD the IQ looks fine (need to see more though). It has bumped up to the top of my list.

  39. #39
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    etrigan63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth, Sol System (near Miami, FL)
    Posts
    2,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    I am keenly interested in this lens and it future sibling: the 35-100 f/2.8. I sincerely hope that Olympus gets a clue from this and ports their SHG zooms to be native m4/3.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

  40. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    449
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    I took a leap of faith in pre-ordering the E-M5. And I was incredibly happy to see the DPR side by side test examples with other recent camera releases posted just the day before it arrived. Phew! I'm glad I didn't go for the NEX 7 or even the X Pro 1. So I'm not going to look at any sample images from the 12-35mm but I have taken the same leap of faith in pre-ordering it. This is truly where m4/3 gets exciting.

    Steve

  41. #41
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    Hi David
    I hope you're well

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    My work is complete Jono has said "The grip turns it into a REAL CAMERA" I've always had grips and he hasn't
    Hated the things . . until now - I still like the camera without, but if you're using bigger lenses then it's really good.

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    Still enjoying the Pentax Ltd's, the only reason to use Pentax.
    Cheers Dave
    I think it's a lovely camera - I still miss my K5 and the little primes - Silas bought one recently - what's not to like? small, quiet, lovely ergonomics, OVF, excellent high ISO. it was inability to get a decent zoom which did for me (and an unhealthy assumption that I needed 24mp). I was tempted to get one again recently (prices is pretty low right now). But the OMD covers the same ground.

    Just this guy you know

  42. #42
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    I took a leap of faith and ordered the 12-35 yesterday . . . . . . .
    . . . . and today I cancelled the order. After shooting with the 12-50 a bit more carefully. Sure, the 12-35 is faster, and I'm sure the IQ will be better, but it doesn't have the excellent macro mode of the 12-50, and of course it isn't as long. Added to which, it's 1000 in the UK, I'm sure it's worth it, but it's a lot of dosh! If I really want to spend that much I think I'd probably get more mileage out of the 7-14.

    So I'm going to pass (for now anyway).

    Just this guy you know

  43. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    449
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I took a leap of faith and ordered the 12-35 yesterday . . . . . . .
    . . . . and today I cancelled the order.
    Ahh, but it makes sense when the Panasonic 35mm to ???mm is released later. And I will always have my 12-50mm (and it is a great macro mode!).

    Steve

  44. #44
    Member marlof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    188
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I took a leap of faith and ordered the 12-35 yesterday . . . . . . .
    . . . . and today I cancelled the order.
    There's always tomorrow.

  45. #45
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by marlof View Post
    There's always tomorrow.
    Yes, indeed there is!
    The truth is that I don't need it right now. Next major trip is in September, so it would be more sensible to wait until the dust (and the price) settle a little, and I've spent more time with the lenses I have.
    The 35-100 I really won't be interested in anyway, don't shoot sport, and I'm covered well with 45, 60, 100-300, 180etc.

    And Olympus might bring something out by then as well.

    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  46. #46
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    There is a "pre-sale" eBay listing for only $1751 (shipped).

  47. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    306
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    There's a link to a review of the lens here
    43 Rumors | Blog
    You seem to have to go back to the german version to get the tabs to work and the graph isn't translated, but from the comments and what I can see it looks like a very uniform lens res and CA(?) wise both across the frame and across apertures.. a very slight bump in performance at F4.
    Perhaps someone who understands german can interpret the graph.

  48. #48
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,872
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Now it gets exciting! 12-35mm f2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Yes, indeed there is!
    The truth is that I don't need it right now. Next major trip is in September, so it would be more sensible to wait until the dust (and the price) settle a little, and I've spent more time with the lenses I have.
    The 35-100 I really won't be interested in anyway, don't shoot sport, and I'm covered well with 45, 60, 100-300, 180etc.

    And Olympus might bring something out by then as well.

    all the best
    Jono,

    you should not say that you are not interested in the 35-100. I had this lens with aperture 2.0 for my E5 and it was the one I almost always had on. It is a perfect portrait lens especially for indoors and of course any indoor or low light events. This is the absolutely best 2.8/70-200 equivalent I have ever used!

    So the incarnation from Pana for m43 will be the killer lens IMHO, especially because it is much smaller and less weight. Alt least you should give it a try ....

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •