The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus OMD with Leica R 60 f2.8 elmarit macro

etrigan63

I have a bid on a nice OM 50mm f/3.5 macro on eBay It's about all I can afford (currently @$91). Leica glass is way out of my league. I could probably get one that was run over by steamroller (but that would still cost $300).

Terry

I have a bid on a nice OM 50mm f/3.5 macro on eBay It's about all I can afford (currently @$91). Leica glass is way out of my league. I could probably get one that was run over by steamroller (but that would still cost $300).
As far as Leica lenses go this one isn't too bad....but I did sell off a bunch of gear to make it a net neutral purchase.

Diane B

Love it and really like the FL on m4/3 I think. I have the 45/2.8 and occasionally use my EF Tamron 90/2.8 macro but think the 60 would be "just right" and this one appears to be really outstanding.

bensonga

Wonderful images Jono and Terry! I'm still waiting for my OMD to arrive....but now you've got me on the hunt for a Leica 60 macro too. :D

Gary

RichA

World's greatest macro lenses?

As far as Leica lenses go this one isn't too bad....but I did sell off a bunch of gear to make it a net neutral purchase.
I remember, about 4 years ago, seeing a company that made manual macro lenses using 4 fluorite elements in the design. They made a 100mm and 60mm, for about $4000 ea. I also saw a test between the 100mm and the 105mm Nikon micro lens. The fluorite was better. But I cannot remember the name of the company.
Also, Voigtlander's discontinued 125mm macro has a real following.

monza

The 100/2.8 APO Macro Elmarit is a lot pricier but also an amazing piece of glass, 100mm means lots of working room.

Another alternative although relatively uncommon is the 60/2.8 Makro Planar-C in Contax/Yashica mount. Very similar rendering to the 60 Elmarit in a lighter package. I use this on a NEX 7 with great results. Photos below were shot with this lens.

Probably the best bang for the buck: Micro Nikkor 55/2.8 AIS. Very common so it's reasonably priced.

rjones

Re: Costal Optics UV-VIS-IR macro

RichA,

The lens you're talking about is the Costal Optics (but the company was bought by Jenoptik a few years ago). The lens contained not only fluorite but also quartz glass for better UV as well as IR transmission.

I own this lens, along with the Leica 60/2.8 and the Pany 45/2.8. I used to own the Zeiss 60/2.8 as well, and it's color was different than the Leica and while lighter weight, I preferred the smaller size of the Leica and so sold the Zeiss. The Costal Optics is a different lens; very neutral looking images yet bitingly sharp.

For macro work, I think the Pany looks every bit as good as the Leica on my OMD. Color rendition is different, but the Pany is lighter. While accused of soft corners, the Pany seems to me evenly sharp across the frame from 1 meter or less (I've not carefully studied it at infinity). However, macro lenses are not optimized for infinity but for the 1:2 to 1:1 image size range; and so I'd not expect perfect distortion free edges at infinity. (Meanwhile non-macros are typically optimized at 1:10 image size, not truly at infinity either, but in-between.) For travel with the OMD, I'd take the Pany 45/2.8.

As for the Costal Optics macro, the description of the lens, was:

"60mm UV-VIS-IR 1:4 Apo Macro provides full apochromatic correction over an extraordinarily broad waveband ranging from the onset of atmospheric ultraviolet transparency at 315nm to the limit of CCD/CMOS sensitivity at 1100nm in the infrared.

"Ordinary quartz-fluorite lenses cannot be color corrected into the infrared due to limitations inherent in these optical materials. The 60mm UV-VIS-IR 1:4 Apo Macro lens achieves unprecedented correction from UV through IR by combining fluorite and quartz with elements made from carefully selected high transmission glasses."

Jonas

I've been dreaming about the CO60/4 for a couple of years now. The USD 3.000 was a bit high for me then and I think it is at USD 4.500 now... :(
Meanwhile I have the Zuiko OM 50/2 Macro and the Elmarit-R 60/2.8. Of these lenses I like the Olympus for the speed and softer rendering of OOF edges which the Leica sometimes renders a bit... edgy.
What's your opinion on the CO60/2.8 when compared to the Elmarit Macro? The Leica has given me many great images of good definition and with very little of CA.

monza

Re: Costal Optics UV-VIS-IR macro

I used to own the Zeiss 60/2.8 as well, and it's color was different than the Leica and while lighter weight, I preferred the smaller size of the Leica and so sold the Zeiss.
You are referring to the standard 60mm Makro Planar, which focuses to 1:1 and is indeed quite large. I'm speaking of the 60mm Makro Planar-C (C for 'compact') which is quite small (smaller and 30% lighter than the 60mm Elmarit) and focuses to 1:2.

Here is a size reference (NEX kit lens and Contax adapter.)

I'm thinking of adapting the Contax 645 120/4 APO Makro Planar FLE. Quite big however. :)

rjones

Re: Olympus OMD with macros

Monza,

You are correct, I had the larger 1:1 Zeiss.

I too rather like macros and have a few Pentax versions as well (K, P645 120mm and P67 100mm). By using combinations of P67-->P645, P645-->K, and K-->m43 adapters, the larger macros work well (including some of the P645 teles like the 400mm on the OMD), but are rather cumbersome. Their weight forces one to use a tripod (with IBIS off) for the sharpest images.