Site Sponsors

Thread: The 75mm f1.8 gets a price - $899

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 75mm f1.8 gets a price - $899

Olympus 75mm F1.8 for Micro Four Thirds gets $900 price-tag: Digital Photography Review

Except if you want a lens hood because once again...it is not included.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The 75mm f1.8 gets a price - $899

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Olympus 75mm F1.8 for Micro Four Thirds gets $900 price-tag: Digital Photography Review

I have the Fujinon 75mm f1.8 c mount lens. It is very very compact. It is very affordable. It has full coverage for m43 with no vignetting. And it is sharp.
    Bought it from evilbay and it looks like this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paparaz...57625429394146

I hardly use it though cos it is too long for my style of photography, but if you are an outdoor type and like the 70-200mm range, then this lens is going to be a compact, stealth killer lens, and it is more than one stop faster than zooms. I guess you could use it for theater or indoor event shots too. It is so small you can keep it in your pocket and struggle to find it later ...hehe a joke.

I have just one shot using this lens posted here, so it may not be a full representation fo what this lens can do.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/paparaz...57625429394146

BUT, the Oly is AF and it is SEXY. At such a long length, it may just be worth it if you are going to use it often. I dont.
    Last edited by paparazzi666; 24th May 2012 at 07:27.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Oly skimping on the lens hood! And it is $100 extra! They seriously need to learn a thing or 2 from Panasonic.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it's 2x the price of Nikon's new 85mm f1.8. However, it (Olympus 75mm) functions (angle of view) like a 135mm f2.0 Nikon which costs $1300. But, you can get a terrific Samyang 85mm f1.4 for about $300.00 for the Olympus, albeit with manual focusing. IF the lens is as good as the Nikon, then the price is probably fair because Olympus simply does not have the economies of scale Nikon does and must charge more for an equivalent optic to make a profit. Also, the near equivalent Nikon lens (or Canon) by angle of view on an APS would be a 135mm f2.0, and the Nikon unit costs $1300+.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by paparazzi666 View Post
    I have the Fujinon 75mm f1.8 c mount lens. It is very very compact. It is very affordable. It has full coverage for m43 with no vignetting. And it is sharp.
    Bought it from evilbay and it looks like this.

Flickr: Please wait...

I hardly use it though cos it is too long for my style of photography, but if you are an outdoor type and like the 70-200mm range, then this lens is going to be a compact, stealth killer lens, and it is more than one stop faster than zooms. I guess you could use it for theater or indoor event shots too. It is so small you can keep it in your pocket and struggle to find it later ...hehe a joke.

I have just one shot using this lens posted here, so it may not be a full representation fo what this lens can do.
    Flickr: Please wait...

BUT, the Oly is AF and it is SEXY. At such a long length, it may just be worth it if you are going to use it often. I dont.
    In addition, the Fujinon covers the APS-C and even on the NEX-7 does very well, even wide open. The original 49mm hood is what I would call sexy in addition to being functional.

Post Thanks / Like

At GBP799 it ain't no bargain, that's for sure...

Post Thanks / Like

I had a Cosmicar 75mm f1.4 c-mount lens for a while, but like paparazzi, I wasn't a big fan of the focal length. The DOF was razor-thin, but it did not really obliterate backgrounds as much as I had hoped because the focal length compresses the scene. Anyways, that lens had characteristics similar to other adapted lenses such as a "glow" wide open and swirly bokeh. For me, AF is a necessity to be able to use a lens like this and I found it difficult to hand-hold without any IS below 1/150. For those interested in seeing some shots at this focal length, here's my gallery from that lens and a couple samples:

GF1 & Cosmicar 75mm - a set on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Well, there goes $900. I gotta have it. Anyone have a buy link? ; )

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta have it too!

As soon as available

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    I had a Cosmicar 75mm f1.4 c-mount lens for a while, but like paparazzi, I wasn't a big fan of the focal length. The DOF was razor-thin, but it did not really obliterate backgrounds as much as I had hoped because the focal length compresses the scene. Anyways, that lens had characteristics similar to other adapted lenses such as a "glow" wide open and swirly bokeh. For me, AF is a necessity to be able to use a lens like this and I found it difficult to hand-hold without any IS below 1/150. For those interested in seeing some shots at this focal length, here's my gallery from that lens and a couple samples:
    I agree that it isn't an easy focal length to work with wide open. I have a 75/1.3 (Navitron) (FWIW, no glow and such) . Here is a sample using it, wide open (I think on G1).

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think I figured out why Oly doesn't include hoods, even for premium lenses. They want onlookers to think, "What is that exquisite and extremely compact camera-lens combo you're holding?" The hood makes the lens look big. SLR big. So they make it hard for you to get one .

Quote Originally Posted by ErikTande View Post
    Well, there goes $900. I gotta have it. Anyone have a buy link? ; )
    Click on either the Amazon banner or the B&H banner at the top of this page. Then search for "V311040SU000" and place your pre-order. That way, GetDPI gets a few dollars for referring you. Your price is unchanged, and you get to support this site.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing about the 75 is that in the Olympus samples, and now DPR has also noted based on their pre-production copy, there is very little "axial CA" in out of focus areas (yes, I know CA is technically not defined outside the plane of focus - but that is the vernacular in the photo world for color fringing in out of focus areas). The Samyang 85 on the other hand is pretty poor in that regard - and in fact most lenses in this range I've played with are as well. Besides that it looks remarkably sharp wide open in the center from the samples and if the MTF charts are to be believed the edges are excellent wide open as well.

Also, Vivek, I remember that photo from awhile back and I have to say it is still my favorite candid of any kind by any photographer.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kwalsh View Post
    One thing about the 75 is that in the Olympus samples, and now DPR has also noted based on their pre-production copy, there is very little "axial CA" in out of focus areas
    Ken, I noticed that in the samples as well. There is a touch of green on the babies' hand, and a touch more on the OOF elements of the foliage shot, but on the whole it looks to be under control. That is something I am willing to pay extra for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    I think I figured out why Oly doesn't include hoods, even for premium lenses. They want onlookers to think, "What is that exquisite and extremely compact camera-lens combo you're holding?" The hood makes the lens look big. SLR big. So they make it hard for you to get one .

Click on either the Amazon banner or the B&H banner at the top of this page. Then search for "V311040SU000" and place your pre-order. That way, GetDPI gets a few dollars for referring you. Your price is unchanged, and you get to support this site.
    Done! Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, and it's only available in silver which is an unfortunate color choice if you just want to blend in and be invisible. Kudos to Olympus for bringing it out though.
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I agree that it isn't an easy focal length to work with wide open. I have a 75/1.3 (Navitron) (FWIW, no glow and such) . Here is a sample using it, wide open (I think on G1).

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
    I love the kids face in this picture. Good photo.

Post Thanks / Like

a bit off topic but now I can't wait for them to announce a fast 25, I know the Pany-Leica is there, but I like the look and feel of the 12,45 and now 75, so would be nice to round it off with a 25 and if I can dream a fast 18
    am