The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Leica R glass on m4/3

Knorp

Hi there Jono,

I think cloudy days are ideal for excellent photo opportunities.
We have had a week long just boring blue skies. Really, I love my skies cloudy !

But getting OT: what an amazing lens this little 60 macro is.
Fine colours, breathtaking detail and tack sharp.

In this series I like the ones with Emma and Caspar, the bright purple thistles and the lovely Bluebells and fern close-ups.

All the very best.

jonoslack

Hi Bart
Thank you! Cloudy days are good for macros, that's fot sure. More ferns today, but no time to post

The 60 elmarit is a thing of beauty and wonder indeed.
Work tomorrow, then back home to Suffolk.

All the best

Terry

Arrrrgh.....when I got back after the long weekend and excitedly went to put my 60 macro on the OMD pooooof my adapter had vanished. I know I saw it in the past couple of weeks. New one from Rainbow shipped yesterday. Hopefully by the weekend I will have it.

Knorp

Arrrrgh.....when I got back after the long weekend and excitedly went to put my 60 macro on the OMD pooooof my adapter had vanished. I know I saw it in the past couple of weeks. New one from Rainbow shipped yesterday. Hopefully by the weekend I will have it.

:lecture: "Patience, young grasshopper...":)

jonoslack

Reminds me of our 'photo' walks :D Keep up! :deadhorse:

Thanks Jono, I take it you sold your ZD 50mm f2 along the way somewhere?

Brian
yes indeed! Emma just carries on regardless, which is good, but she does tend to get into the scene!

ZD 50 long since gone I'm afraid, but the Leica 60 isn't so much bigger, and the manual focus is probably easier to control.

all the best

jonoslack

Here are a few snaps from the 180 f2.8 APO taken with the OMD on a rainy walk this morning.

Being able to dial in the IBIS for the lens is a real winner - what is a real winner, is that if you half press the shutter the IBIS cuts in and stabilises the view in the viewfinder (really effectively). Then you can manual focus with some accuracy and fully press the shutter.
I know the Olympus doesn't have focus peaking, but with these very sharp lenses you get a kind of shimmer on the in focus areas (perhaps an increase in contrast?).

Whatever, focusing is really easy, and I was getting a good hit rate - even with moving subjects (the image of Emma with the dog was at quite a distance, and it didn't last more than a second!).

You are right, Jono, the possibility to stabilize the image in the view finder is as effective as the focus peaking, in particular with the long lenses.

Very nice shots everyone, unfortunately my F to m4/3 adapter does not work on the OMD so I could not use my F converted R lenses.
But now I have found that I can manage with a F to LTM + LTM to M + M to m4/3, which I have. I will try.

Knorp

What better place for a first run with a new camera, a lens or combination of the two than visiting the zoo ?
Some portraits of the locals.

" VARIO-ELMAR-R 1:4.0/70-210 "