Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: OMD Spare batteries

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OMD Spare batteries

I've been waiting for Olympus OEM spare batteries because I've heard mixed things about the generics that have so far made their way to the market. I'm leaving on a photo trip in two weeks and am starting to run out of time to wait.

What extra batteries are you using?
    Where did you buy them?
    Do they work in the Oly charger?
    Do they accurately give usage information.

Thanks.

Landshark

Re: OMD Spare batteries

I am in the same boat, talked to Olympus they have no answer, I may just leave the OM-D home.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using the Olympus battery. I just walked into the store I bought the camera (Pro Photo Supply in Portland Oregon) and bought another.

Post Thanks / Like

Terry I bought 2 spare batteries and a spare charger from Oly in Singapore. It takes about 3 hrs to fully charge a battery!
    Not sure if it is in stock in US.

ric

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I've been waiting for Olympus OEM spare batteries because I've heard mixed things about the generics that have so far made their way to the market. I'm leaving on a photo trip in two weeks and am starting to run out of time to wait.

What extra batteries are you using?
    Where did you buy them?
    Do they work in the Oly charger?
    Do they accurately give usage information.

Thanks.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nope not much supply in the US yet. Really is a problem right now. Oly's website still show pre-order.

Post Thanks / Like

None in the UK either, so I ordered an aftermarket battery from Hong Kong. It arrived with a free charger (because it won't charge in the Olympus charger), and it works great in the camera. No sparks plugging it in and charging it up, and the camera didn't burst into flames, and all for $12 inc postage. Of course the real test is how does it perform, and it easily lasts as long as the OEM battery, so no quibbles.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Terry,
    I noticed that Blue Nook has some Wasabi batteries for the OM-D on sale on Amazon. I have been using the Wasabi batteries on my GH-2 with reasonable success, and Blue Nook has been good to deal with. They are NOT decoded though.

Also, there is an interesting note that you have to use the Wasabi charger that comes with the batteries. This is different from the Panasonic ones which are interchangeable.

Wish I could get my hands on an OM-D to try them out myself :-)...

Doug

Landshark

the spare battery I ordered from Olympus showed up today, two days after I found one at Portland Pro Photo, which is on its way

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I ordered two from Portland. I was waiting for them to arrive before canceling my order with B&H. I did cancel at Olympus because after shipping and tax B&H is less.

Landshark

I only ordered from Olympus because they sent me a birthday discount and heard they might ship faster than others. I was told mine would not arrive for at least another week, but I called and talk someone in customer service, and it just showed up today. So with this one and the one from Portland, I am good.

Berkeley, California and Gold Coast, Queensland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pro Photo Supply in Oregon sold out their "handful" of batteries on Tuesday, said the salesman. Terry got the last ones, apparently. Next batch delivery time: unknown.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am waiting for a battery from our best friend, Monza. Hopefully it will happen before my vacation in mid-July.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry Monk. It really was getting tight. I'm leaving for a shooting trip on the 12th so I had been really diligently searching and called them Tuesday AM right when they opened.

Two spares (especially since the battery grip holds one) isn't an over abundance. Now I'm just limited by chargers.

The problem right now is the Oly batteries are running at a new higher voltage and the generics won't charge on the Oly charger and the the Oly's shouldn't be charged on the current generic chargers. So, I was really looking for OEM stuff.

Berkeley, California and Gold Coast, Queensland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A year from now, when OM-D batteries are common as pigeons on Market Street, we will all go, "I wonder what all the fuss was about?"
    Rev. Heng Sure
    Berkeley Buddhist Monastery
    paramita.typepad.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is the same thing that happened when the GH2 came out and it only took OEM chipped batteries that were impossible to find.

Post Thanks / Like

I went into the local store in Vienna, where I bought my OMD 4 weeks ago, bought one spare battery and went out again.

Obviously different supply in different parts of the world. This time Austria wins

Post Thanks / Like

What is wrong with the generics. I ordered two and they work fine. I have to use a generic charger.
    Last edited by mark1958; 1st June 2012 at 08:02.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The generics seem to have a different voltage which means you can't charge them in the Oly charger and you can't properly charge the Oly in a generic charger. So, I wanted to just use OEM until the generics are fully sorted out.

Post Thanks / Like

My generics work and the generic charger -- charges both batteries. Battery indicator with the generics also displayed on camera

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mark,

What battery did you buy?

Jim

Landshark

Just got my extra battery from Portland Pro Photo today so along with the one Olympus sent I am set for one body.

Post Thanks / Like

HI all Sorry I was at my son's graduation and had to look up where i got the batteries. I got two batteries and a charger at bestbatt.com. The battery is labelled Kapahen. The kit was 36 dollars plus tax

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mark,

Thanks for the info.

Jim

Landshark

the ones I got from bestbatt are a different voltage

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

YEs this is the kit. Stated voltage is 7.6 same as the olympus battery.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    They have a different maximum charging voltage. Some tear-downs and measurements of the voltage discharge profiles show the generics to likely be using a different lithium cell chemistry than the original Olympus. That's the most likely reason the generics are not compatible with the Olympus charger and the generics in practical use on the camera have less capacity. Given the extreme cost of the Olympus battery the generics are still a way better deal for capacity per dollar. And given how gigantic the Olympus charger is compared to the generics charger the capacity difference is easily made up with another battery.

In the end I opted to just buy a three batteries + one charger package for a fraction of the cost of an Olympus battery. On travel I'll leave the Olympus charger at home and pack the smaller generic charger and three generic cells (FYI, I haven't tried it myself, but apparently the generic charger will charge the Olympus battery but not to full capacity).

Anyway, in this case there seems to be a very legit reason for the Olympus charger to not charge the generics - they really are different and incompatible cells as far as charging goes. Fortunately the other cells work just fine in the camera and Olympus hasn't done anything to disable them they way Panasonic has done in the past sometimes.

Ken

P.S. A tear-down post:

OMD EM5 spare battery (where to get it?) - Page 3

P.P.S. Charging voltages:

summary from my experiences: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just got my 2 battery + charger kit from BestBatt.com. Charged up both and popped them into my OM-D. Worked a treat. Monza still owes me a OEM battery so, ultimately, I will have 4 batteries: 2 OEM & 2 generics. For overseas travel, I may get another pair of generics as their charger is auto-switching and comes with a Euro style plug adapter.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

br8grave

Thanks for all the info!!Totally a newbie!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the link Carlos......I ordered some today. Basically, just to tide me over until Olympus releases some OEM batteries.

Gary

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Update: the generics are still running strong. The battery meter has not dipped past full charge yet. Good stuff so far!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry to burst your bubble.. but as I understand it, the 3rd party battery won't show intermediate charges.. it'll be either full or empty. Again, not speaking from experience, just from what I read.
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is entirely possible. One cannot complain considering the price you pay for the generics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The generics I purchased seem to work fine and show a full charge when inserted. However mine dropped to empty with no notice after 387 shots. Not complaining as two batteries and the charger were less than one virtually nonexistent Olympus battery.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you really plan to need multiple batteries for regular use, it sounds smart to buy the OEM's (when you can find them). Its not as if they cost all that much

However, I would assume most users, much like myself, probably can make it through a day one just one battery. If I'm doing something where I need a few thousand frames I'm darn well grabbing my D3s, not my Em-5 lol.

I ordered a generic simply because I plan to use it as an emergency spare, in the event my battery does run out while on a long day of vacation etc.

Might not last quite as long, might not show accurate charge, but just something I can pop in and finish shooting should worse come to worse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Millsart View Post
    I ordered a generic simply because I plan to use it as an emergency spare, in the event my battery does run out
    That's why I always have a spare battery on hand. If Olympus had made OEM batteries available, I'd have bought one. But since the OEM is nearly impossible to find, I'm glad there is a generic battery available in the mean time.

I've never encountered this problem getting a OEM battery before.....on the other hand, this is my first Olympus camera. What's the problem Olympus?

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is a common problem with many new camera's Gary, not just Olympus. Like you I would have bought one there and then if it was available.

When the Leica M9 was released it was six months before the battery I ordered arrived, it was a worldwide shortage. So I got some generic's that could be made to work, after a fashion. But then you get people saying stupid things like 'why would you use a $3 battery in your $7000 camera?' as if they didn't notice the title of the thread was 'Battery shortage'!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

What is annoying me is this new policy aimed to prevent, or make it difficult, the use of third party battery by means of ad hoc designed circuits placed inside the camera and/or in the charger. This makes sense only to allow them to sell for 70 a very simple battery which third parties could easily sell with the same quality for 10-15 or so.
    Until now on my previous Olympus (E3, E5. EP2, EP3) I could easily use third party batteries branded by reputable manufactures such as Duracell and Uniross, much cheaper and easily available, but now unfortunately this option is over.

Post Thanks / Like

In almost all cameras I have owned in my lifetime I always used original batteries. The few times I tried with third party I had only problems.

BTW I could get my original OMD spare battery without any issue here in Austria

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Can't get the OEM battery here, so using two generics as spares. I'll use only the OEM's when they're available. Meanwhile, these are working (fingers crossed).
    BTW, much more compact, integral plug, charger for the generics.

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    I bought the Best Batt and discovered that while the charger is great, the batteries do not fit in the HLD-6 grip !

Well that's putting it too strong perhaps.
    They are a tight sliding fit, so sight that the spring does not push them out when the battery catch is released.

Strangely my Olympus original battery is a sliding fit in there too, and I can see a growing scratch mark on the case.

The MallBox batteries fit just fine, but seen to have low capacity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I went into the local store in Vienna, where I bought my OMD 4 weeks ago, bought one spare battery and went out again.
    Obviously different supply in different parts of the world. This time Austria wins
    So we could all come visit Vienna just for the batteries

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by smartwombat View Post
    I bought the Best Batt and discovered that while the charger is great, the batteries do not fit in the HLD-6 grip !

Well that's putting it too strong perhaps.
    They are a tight sliding fit, so sight that the spring does not push them out when the battery catch is released.

Strangely my Olympus original battery is a sliding fit in there too, and I can see a growing scratch mark on the case.

The MallBox batteries fit just fine, but seen to have low capacity.
    I had the same experience with the grip as well. One has to pop the latch and lightly tap the battery pack to get the battery to come out. Kind of like Heinz Ketchup...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smartwombat View Post
    So we could all come visit Vienna just for the batteries
    Let me know in advance, so they have not run out of batteries by then

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ptomsu,
    I will be there next June visiting friends (and celebrating my daughter's "quince"). We will need to meetup.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't use non OEM batteries. Not just the danger part but under/over volting sensors/electronics leads to corrupt memory cards.

Post Thanks / Like

Just realizing about the availability status of the batteries gives me a headache, I haven't even hit the buy it now yet! :P

I searched and searched about for it and it's still pretty much pre-order here in the US!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FlypenFly View Post
    I wouldn't use non OEM batteries. Not just the danger part but under/over volting sensors/electronics leads to corrupt memory cards.
    I've used a large variety of digital cameras over the past dozen years and only bought the overpriced OEM batteries if 3rd party weren't available. I've saved $4-5000 ($3000+ for Leica alone) and had no problems other than low capacity at times. Card corruption due to 3rd party batteries requires other iisues with the camera; in practice it just isn't going to happen.

Henning

Post Thanks / Like

Sure it is. I actually have a degree in electrical and computer engineering although it is not my career any more.

Circuits designs expect a certain level of voltage. If that voltage changes in the middle of an operation, fail safes take place but you can't fail safe every scenario.

Allan Ostling

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Faced with a similar problem, I cancelled my OM-D pre-order and bought a Nikon 1 V1 with three lenses. Lightroom 4 has profiles for all the lenses.

I'll take this on an August trip to Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, and Finland. An advantage is that the Nikon 1 has an accessory GPS unit, so I will be able to geo-tag all my images.