The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OMD Spare batteries

Terry

I've been waiting for Olympus OEM spare batteries because I've heard mixed things about the generics that have so far made their way to the market. I'm leaving on a photo trip in two weeks and am starting to run out of time to wait. :cussing:

What extra batteries are you using?
Where did you buy them?
Do they work in the Oly charger?
Do they accurately give usage information.

Thanks.

L

Landshark

I am in the same boat, talked to Olympus they have no answer, I may just leave the OM-D home.

bcaslis

I'm using the Olympus battery. I just walked into the store I bought the camera (Pro Photo Supply in Portland Oregon) and bought another.

ricseet

Terry I bought 2 spare batteries and a spare charger from Oly in Singapore. It takes about 3 hrs to fully charge a battery!
Not sure if it is in stock in US.

ric

I've been waiting for Olympus OEM spare batteries because I've heard mixed things about the generics that have so far made their way to the market. I'm leaving on a photo trip in two weeks and am starting to run out of time to wait. :cussing:

What extra batteries are you using?
Where did you buy them?
Do they work in the Oly charger?
Do they accurately give usage information.

Thanks.

Terry

Nope not much supply in the US yet. Really is a problem right now. Oly's website still show pre-order.

250swb

None in the UK either, so I ordered an aftermarket battery from Hong Kong. It arrived with a free charger (because it won't charge in the Olympus charger), and it works great in the camera. No sparks plugging it in and charging it up, and the camera didn't burst into flames, and all for $12 inc postage. Of course the real test is how does it perform, and it easily lasts as long as the OEM battery, so no quibbles.

Steve

greypilgrim

Hi Terry,
I noticed that Blue Nook has some Wasabi batteries for the OM-D on sale on Amazon. I have been using the Wasabi batteries on my GH-2 with reasonable success, and Blue Nook has been good to deal with. They are NOT decoded though.

Also, there is an interesting note that you have to use the Wasabi charger that comes with the batteries. This is different from the Panasonic ones which are interchangeable.

Wish I could get my hands on an OM-D to try them out myself :)...

Doug

L

Landshark

the spare battery I ordered from Olympus showed up today, two days after I found one at Portland Pro Photo, which is on its way

Terry

I ordered two from Portland. I was waiting for them to arrive before canceling my order with B&H. I did cancel at Olympus because after shipping and tax B&H is less.

L

Landshark

I only ordered from Olympus because they sent me a birthday discount and heard they might ship faster than others. I was told mine would not arrive for at least another week, but I called and talk someone in customer service, and it just showed up today. So with this one and the one from Portland, I am good.

monk

Pro Photo Supply in Oregon sold out their "handful" of batteries on Tuesday, said the salesman. Terry got the last ones, apparently. Next batch delivery time: unknown.

etrigan63

I am waiting for a battery from our best friend, Monza. Hopefully it will happen before my vacation in mid-July.

Terry

Sorry Monk. It really was getting tight. I'm leaving for a shooting trip on the 12th so I had been really diligently searching and called them Tuesday AM right when they opened.

Two spares (especially since the battery grip holds one) isn't an over abundance. Now I'm just limited by chargers.

The problem right now is the Oly batteries are running at a new higher voltage and the generics won't charge on the Oly charger and the the Oly's shouldn't be charged on the current generic chargers. So, I was really looking for OEM stuff.

monk

A year from now, when OM-D batteries are common as pigeons on Market Street, we will all go, "I wonder what all the fuss was about?"

Terry

This is the same thing that happened when the GH2 came out and it only took OEM chipped batteries that were impossible to find.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I went into the local store in Vienna, where I bought my OMD 4 weeks ago, bought one spare battery and went out again.

Obviously different supply in different parts of the world. This time Austria wins ;)

mark1958

What is wrong with the generics. I ordered two and they work fine. I have to use a generic charger.

Last edited:

Terry

The generics seem to have a different voltage which means you can't charge them in the Oly charger and you can't properly charge the Oly in a generic charger. So, I wanted to just use OEM until the generics are fully sorted out.

mark1958

My generics work and the generic charger -- charges both batteries. Battery indicator with the generics also displayed on camera