The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens Availability?

JMaher

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy a Panasonic 25 1.4 or an Olympus 45 1.8? I purchased the OM-D very recently and can not seem to find any fast lenses that are actually available at any of the online stores. These 2 seem to get the most favorable comments combined with the OM-D.

The 50-100 is very nice but fast it isn't.

Jim

Hosermage

I found my PL25 in the B&S forums. Funny, I've had that lens sitting here for 2 weeks while I wait for the OM-D...

JMaher

Thanks for the information. I don't mind used and I have purchased here and at FM.

The one you listed is a first time post for the person selling. A first time sale is Ok but a 1st time post seems like a gamble.

Still looking. Thanks again.

Jim

nostatic

I got the 25 @ digitalrev in HK. Not too much over US price and they are great to deal with. The 45 was available in a local shop but I think a lot have been snapped up. DigitalRev

Hosermage

Well, it is what it is... consider that you can get much closer to your subject, it's still possible:

JMaher

Correct! Like a 50mm f/2.8.
Maybe I am confused but my understanding of the 25 1.4 is that no matter how you look at it is still a 1.4 lens for light gathering purposes. The 50 2.8 aspect is based on the sensor size and impacts only apparent focal length and depth of field. As a byproduct of the increased depth of field you see less blurring of the background than on a ff body at 1.4.

If any of this is incorrect please feel free to jump in.

Jim

Hosermage

Maybe I am confused but my understanding of the 25 1.4 is that no matter how you look at it is still a 1.4 lens for light gathering purposes.
Hi Jim,

Funny, I thought (or hoped) the same thing, but I wasn't sure. So I actually took some test shots before I answered Moonshine. I took one shot with the OMD+PL25 at f/1.4, then compared to 3 shots with M9+50Lux at f/1.4, f/2.0, and f/2.8. You can judge it yourself with these images, cropped and exposure adjusted only (ignore the f-stop number in the border for M9, it's not accurate):

Hosermage

David - in your examples you're comparing depth of field, not light gathering ability. They're different.
Yes, you're absolutely right. I'm sorry for the confusion.

I shoot mainly aperture-priority, while leaving most other things in auto mode. So to me, aperture is mainly a creative tool to control DOF. I allow the camera to adjust auto-ISO up to 6400, so I doubt if I'll ever need to open aperture for more light. On the other hand, I've purchased a ND filter because I've found f/1.4 to be too bright in the California sun. So again, you're right that for light gathering it's f/1.4, but for DOF, it's f/2.8, which is what I was mainly concerned about.

Thanks.

JMaher

David,

I may be having a bad day but I can't see what you are trying to show me. It looks as if the Olympus is pulling in more light. I'll try a similar comparison with a Canon lens keeping the ISO, aperture and shutter speed consistent later today.

Jim

JMaher

Just read the middle post that appeared while I was writing - apparently no need to post additional samples. Definitely the 2x crop does impact depth of field while having no impact on light transmission.

Jim

Moonshine

Well, it is what it is... consider that you can get much closer to your subject, it's still possible:
fantastic pic! love the bokeh on this lens despite the smaller depth of field. Have you noticed a big difference when you shoot this lens on the EM-5 vs 1.4 on the M9?

Hosermage

I won't lie, there's definitely more of a 3D pop when shot with the M9+50Lux. On the other hand, I don't think I'd want it to mimic the M9, and I have no complaint about its IQ. Use it for what it's good for, and it's the stuff that's in focus that matter, right?

Moonshine

i guess its me that wants it to mimic the M9 as i had one and had to sell it a few weeks ago for funds. I'm looking for a less expensive alternative that can give me a similar IQ..
May not be possible but i'm trying! What combination of camera and lens comes close??