Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: David Pogue on the Panasonic GI

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: David Pogue on the Panasonic GI

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI There Scho - and welcome!
    That's a great shot - very very promising I'd say.
    Thanks Jono. Yes, and it is a real pleasure hiking around with this little featherweight.

Regards,
    Carl

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks SCHO for the info regarding the lens adapter.

Just started to use my blue G1.

No real results here yet. At work, and subjects are limited. Took a flash shot this morning in significant darkness. Focussed fine with AF light, and exposure, and focus seemed right on.

Body is an interesting hybrid of PS, and DSLR. Lens is just OK.

Will keep shooting when I time, and subjects permit.

Please, someone let me know when 4/3 adapter becomes available in the U.S. so I can try out a real lens.

Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Per Ofverbeck View Post
    Lovely machine, so-so lens...
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin S View Post
    Please, someone let me know when 4/3 adapter becomes available in the U.S. so I can try out a real lens.
    Hmmm... interesting comments! While it obviously isn't a Leica lens, I had thought that others such as Brian had reported that the lens was quite good. Per and Martin, can you perhaps expand on what you don't like about the lens?

I should have mine today or tomorrow and I'm looking forward to seeing what is can do.

Cheer,

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps, I was a little too hasty in my lens comments.

Weather here is too wet to really evaluate the camera, and lens quality.

It is an interesting concept, and the viewfinder, and AF are much better than I was expecting.

AF seems almost as fast as my Canon 40D!!! Also, in adaquate light, no focus hunting with overshoot, and then re-correct.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    ... Per and Martin, can you perhaps expand on what you don't like about the lens?...
    Well, at this early stage my impressions are mainly from the build and feel of the lens, less about performance. It is VERY "plastic-y"; turning the zoom ring feels more like opening a screw cap bottle than adjusting fine optics. To be fair, however, it has a nicely finished metal bayonet, and the sideways play when fully extended is less than many "consumer" zooms from Canon or Nikon. The focus ring is quite smooth, but then it is of the "fly-by-wire" type, so it doesnīt mechanically move anything.

Also, it is quite slow, of course. I really look forward both to those adapters, and to the 20 mm pancake...

Some test shots I did yesterday afternoon of the Stockholm skyline looked a bit soft at the corners, even stopped down (center was OK), but they were hastily made free hand, so not really conclusive. To complicate the analysis even further, I didnīt use my final copy of the camera and lens then, but the shopīs demo, kindly loaned to me for one day while they sent for a blue one for me (thatīs service, indeed!). Got the final one in an unopened box today, battery still charging. Letīs see how that lens performs a s a p!

And, it has to be said, the images shown here and in the UKPSG diary are very good; Carlīs gorge shots are downright stunning!

Post Thanks / Like

I just received mine this morning, and just finished charging the battery so I'm only now starting to play with it. I agree that the zoom control is not as smooth as the focus control, but I don't find it too bad on mine. Hopefully I'll be able to do some shooting with it soon, although right now it's pouring rain out there.

I posted some early impressions of the camera in Terry's thread:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...?t=3888&page=4

Overall, I'm very pleased though.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Got a chance today to shoot outdoors in freezing temperatures, also did some lens test shots from a tripod.

Lens test first: at least this copy is OK, not stellar but better than most consumer zooms Iīve tried. So, if I had any doubts there, theyīre gone. Bokeh isnīt great, but hardly bottom of the barrel either; see attached image.

Handling the camera in the cold: This is NOT a "gloves" camera. Period. I have a pair of shooterīs mitts that Iīll dig out and try, but today I just had to take my thin, unlined leather gloves off to get anything done. And then, after five minutes, the fingers were too numb to get at difficult buttons like the preview one.

Apart from that, the camera was mostly a pleasure to use, but with some interface problems, besides the glove one. This weekend, Iīll try to get something written for Brianīs diary. Hope to get to shoot a few dogs () tomorrow...

Post Thanks / Like

Just briefly tried out G1.

A possible user interface issue - if u select to move the focus point with the 4 button controller, the usual controller functions ISO, WB etc. don't seem to work, only the focus spot moves? Any way to toggle between the two functions??

Has anyone else seen this?? Am I missing something?

Please advise.

Martin

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just briefly tried out G1.

A possible user interface issue - if u select to move the focus point with the 4 button controller, the usual controller functions ISO, WB etc. don't seem to work, only the focus spot moves? Any way to toggle between the two functions??

Has anyone else seen this?? Am I missing something?

Please advise.

Martin

Martin, No issue at all. Hit the middle button (menu/set) and see what happens (I'll let you discover that!)!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Martin, No issue at all. Hit the middle button (menu/set) and see what happens (I'll let you discover that!)!
    Well,that didnīt solve the problem (Iīve dismissed this feature myself because of this).

What happens when hitting the middle button is simply that the yellow arrows for moving the focus area go away. But as soon as one of the four buttons is touched, they return. No way to get the standard functions, except to turn "direct AF area" off again.

So, Vivek, if you do know a solution that weīve missed, please tell us in simple and direct language....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, now Iīve come to p. 72 in the manual, and there it is:

"∫Move the AF area easily while taking pictures
    When the [DIRECTAFAREA] (P108) in the [CUSTOM MENU] menu is set to [ON] while
    [Ø] is selected, it is possible to move the AF area directly with 3/4/2/1.
    It is also possible to change the size of AF area by rotating the front dial in the screen to
    set the position.
    •[SENSITIVITY] (P80), [Fn BUTTON SET] (P31), [AFMODE] (P70), or [WHITE BALANCE]
    (P77) cannot be set with 3/4/2/1. Make the setting with the quick menu (P30)."

So thatīs it. Once Direct Af area is selected, the 4-way controller is dedicated to it. The functions normally assigned must be reached via the quick menu.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Per, Sorry for the cryptic post. Now, try the same thing with the focus set to MF.

When you hit the menu/set button, it magnifies the area to the full screen so that you can make use of that function for precise focusing! An astounding feature.

Under my settings, with AFC or AFS this does not work. Mine has been in MF most of the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yep, it works! And, by rotating the front wheel, one can get even more magnification.

My newly discovered favourite is the AF+MF option (bottom of Custom Menu p 3). When activated (and AFS set), the camera can focus, and while holding the focus (via half press, or AF lock), I can turn the focussing ring on the lens. Voilā: enlarged view, and a chance to fine-adjust focus manually, just like the best Canon and Nikon lenses (only far easier to really see whatīs sharp). Invaluable when shooting portaits, and AF gets the ears sharp instead of the eyes...

Afraid weīve taken this thread far from David Pogue now... But, at least it was you who made the original post...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David who??

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Per, Vivek - if you'll add your observations to our G1 diary you can be sure that our report will reach the widest possible audience... not only here but to our 1000+ report subscribers.

I was out today with the G1 and E-3, just about to write up the experience for our team review, but here are some snapshots for GetDPI

Panasonic G1 + 14-45 OIS
    1/50s f/8.0 at 14.0mm iso100

Bottom right corner crop 1:1

Centre crop 1:1

Olympus E-3 + ZD 9-18mm
    1/125s f/6.3 at 9.0mm iso100

Centre crop 1:1

The 9-18 right corner crop is a bit disappointing to be honest - I think it's out of focus rather than being soft. Here's another example.

E-3 + ZD 9-18
    1/160s f/6.3 at 10.0mm iso100

And finally, the G1 from the same position :

G1 + 14-45mm OIS
    1/320s f/8.0 at 14.0mm iso100

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Brian,

Very nice comparison shots of the G1 with the E-3. Did you shoot these in raw and process with SilkyPix? The next version (available in a few days) of Raw Developer will have support for G1 raw files if you want an alternative raw processor.

Carl

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Brian,

Very nice comparison shots of the G1 with the E-3. Did you shoot these in raw and process with SilkyPix? The next version (available in a few days) of Raw Developer will have support for G1 raw files if you want an alternative raw processor.

Carl
    Hi Carl...
    I saw your post over at DPReview on the G1. It is nice to be able to put names together when I looked at your picture link and realized you had posted over here.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, it works! And, by rotating the front wheel, one can get even more magnification.

My newly discovered favourite is the AF+MF option (bottom of Custom Menu p 3). When activated (and AFS set), the camera can focus, and while holding the focus (via half press, or AF lock), I can turn the focussing ring on the lens. Voilā: enlarged view, and a chance to fine-adjust focus manually, just like the best Canon and Nikon lenses (only far easier to really see whatīs sharp). Invaluable when shooting portaits, and AF gets the ears sharp instead of the eyes...

Afraid weīve taken this thread far from David Pogue now... But, at least it was you who made the original post...
    Per,

Thanks for pointing out the AF+MF option. Very nice for fine tuning AF and it works well.

Carl

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Hi Carl...
    I saw your post over at DPReview on the G1. It is nice to be able to put names together when I looked at your picture link and realized you had posted over here.
    Hi Terry,

Yes, that was me. Have you settled in on the west coast now or are you back in NY again?

Regards,
    Carl

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Angry Re: David Pogue on the Panasonic GI

Hi Terry,

Yes, that was me. Have you settled in on the west coast now or are you back in NY again?

Regards,
    Carl
    I'm back in NY until tomorrow morning . I will be bouncing back and forth through the end of the year. I did manage to find an apartment last weekend which I get mid December so I won't be really "settled" until the holidays. I've lived in SF before so it isn't a brand new city to me.

I hope you are enjoying your G1. Perhaps on Sunday I will be able to get out and shoot for a bit.

terry

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Per for the clarification. It would seem more logical if once the focus position was in place, a simple press of the set button would fix it, and return the regular functions of the 4 way controller.
    But such are the little idiosyncrasies of a new camera body.

Hope to do some shooting today if doesn't rain too often.

Thanks again.

Martin

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Per, Vivek - if you'll add your observations to our G1 diary you can be sure that our report will reach the widest possible audience... not only here but to our 1000+ report subscribers.
    Brian
    Brian, As is evident from this thread, I am not all that good at spelling out things clearly. I am yet to get a larger print out of the camera manual. Please feel free to quote any of my posts from here if you feel that would be useful. As such, I have my plate full with my projects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Brian,

Carl
    Thanks Carl, I shoot RAW and process in Silkypix before finishing scaling/sharpening in LightZone... I'm OK with Silkypix for now, at least until Bibble V5 is released.

I imagine Qimage Studio will also support the G1 before long.

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Vivek - maybe you can add a post to our team review with details of your converter project in due course? that would be very interesting!

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, my comments are up now. Hope you donīt think itīs too long and rambling....

If itīs OK, I may write a follow-up once I get some more experience with the camera.

At least I have to say that this is NOT a typical "soccer momīs camera", as has been stated somewhere; it is quite feature-rich and complicated to master (soccer mom:s, please forgive me if this sounds condescending; I use the term in the same figurative way as it was originally used).
    Last edited by Per Ofverbeck; 8th November 2008 at 09:38. Reason: OMG, how did I get that wording in....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It certainly is more than a P&S camera. The EVIL focusing (though it is first generation in a camera with interchangeable lenses) is bound to give a serious competition to the range finder cams with quite shutters.

Manual focusing accurately isn't as fast as a range finder (not surprising) but when time is not the factor, accurate (manual) focusing is possible.

Brian, As I said, I will post the adapter report here. We can mirror it in your site.

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished my first series of images (admittedly an overcast, almost rainy day).

The images were all autumn colored leaves. I was quite surprised that the colors were quite natural, and the image required almost NO post processing. Not like Canon!! The images were shot in RAW, opened in Silkypix, converted to tiff, opened in CS3, and printed. Silkypix is certainly a powerful program, but with a very different user interface as compared to CS3, or Lightroom. So for now, I will use simply use it to just crop, and then convert to tiff prior to export into (the more familiar) CS3, or Lightroom.

The images were sharp, and at ISO 400 had only a small amount of noise, even at 100%.

The only disappointment is the f 5.6 aperture at the telephoto end of the zoom range. I guess that some compromises had to be made for the lens size, and cost.

I will continue to shoot since the forecast for tomorrow is better.

Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just finished my first series of images (admittedly an overcast, almost rainy day).

The images were all autumn colored leaves. I was quite surprised that the colors were quite natural, and the image required almost NO post processing.
    Yes, I have the same impression. The colour rendering comes close to that of my Digilux 2 (and thatīs top marks in my book, indeed). The bokeh of the kit lens isnīt up to Leica standards, however...

The images were shot in RAW, opened in Silkypix, converted to tiff, opened in CS3, and printed. Silkypix is certainly a powerful program, but with a very different user interface as compared to CS3, or Lightroom. So for now, I will use simply use it to just crop, and then convert to tiff prior to export into (the more familiar) CS3, or Lightroom.
    Carl wrote he does the same thing. Thatīs what I planned to do initially, but the 16 bit tifīs are just too big to do it with every image. Are you saving in 8 or 16 bit? And, if you stay with 8 bits, do you feel the improvement over camera jpegīs is enough to be worth the extra work?

Boy, do I look forward to Adobe supporting the rawīs....

Post Thanks / Like

Per

I work with 16 bit tiff's. I want to avoid any clipping with the conversion to 8 bit.

This camera is a joy to use. It seems to handle very much like a P+S, but has DSLR type results.

Still a bit to learn with the menu selections, but I think that I have them selected.

I hope to use the camera a lot more tomorrow (Sunday). Telephoto lens, and 4/3 adapter will in the U.S. available soon.

It sems like the Leica to m 4/3 converter will be available in late Dec. Now, that sounds like a real interesting possibilty.

Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Per

I work with 16 bit tiff's. I want to avoid any clipping with the conversion to 8 bit.

This camera is a joy to use. It seems to handle very much like a P+S, but has DSLR type results.

Still a bit to learn with the menu selections, but I think that I have them selected.

I hope to use the camera a lot more tomorrow (Sunday). Telephoto lens, and 4/3 adapter will in the U.S. available soon.

It sems like the Leica to m 4/3 converter will be available in late Dec. Now, that sounds like a real interesting possibilty.

Martin
    OK, guess I have to bite the sour grapes and make room for the big tifīs...

Indeed, it is mostly a nice camera to use (except in the cold...). But Iīd really like a faster lens! I wonder if the Oly 50/2 Macro is one of the 4/3 lenses that will auto-focus properly with an adapter? If so, that would be a VERY useful complement to the 20/1.7 pancake thatīs coming up.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, the 35 mm and 50 mm macros, will not auto focus on the G1. Panasonic released a list of compatible lenses, and whether or not AF is supported.

The AF compatible lenses are the Olympus 25 mm, the Panasonic 14-50 (slow version - not mine!), the 14-150 mm, Olympus 9-18 mm, Leica 25 mm f 1.4, Olympus 14-42 mm, Olympus 40-150 mm.

There is a long list of compatible MF lenses at dpreview.com.

So it appears that only the smaller versions of the Olympus lenses will AF with the G1. I hope that that the focus compatible lens list expands as Panasonic tests other Olympus lenses. Also, Panasonic will be offering their additional lenses in 2009.

I have tried the MF capabilities of the G1, and the enlarged view provided by the EVF makes MF doable even without micro prisms, or split image view.

Will try to shoot some more today, since the rain, ,and clouds have gone.

Martin

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 35mm macro was listed in the press release as one where the recent firmware update would allow it to AF on the G1. Has that been shown to be wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

TEBnewyork

Yes. I am afraid so at least according to dpreview.com. You can check that site for info on lens compatibility, and it appears as MF only.

I was kind of hoping too that the 35 mm macro might have been upgraded (via firmware) to AF. Almost bought one!!

Have u been able to use the G1 in addition to ur x country move??

Martin

P.S. After ur move, will u change ur screen name to TEBsf???????

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Unfortunately, the 35 mm and 50 mm macros, will not auto focus on the G1. Panasonic released a list of compatible lenses, and whether or not AF is supported.

The AF compatible lenses are the Olympus 25 mm, the Panasonic 14-50 (slow version - not mine!), the 14-150 mm, Olympus 9-18 mm, Leica 25 mm f 1.4, Olympus 14-42 mm, Olympus 40-150 mm.
    Too bad... Well, I suppose there will be several new micro-4/3 lenses coming within the next few months. Of course, that Leica 25/1.4 would be something!

On the subject of camera-jpegīs vs 16-bit tifīs from raw (Silkypix batch), Iīve made some tests, and the tifīs win hands down! Even at ISO 100, there is noticeable smearing in the jpgīs, and when you reach ISO 800 or so, the difference in quality has to be seen to be believed...

So, Iīm convinced. Iīll never even set that camera to jpeg again...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just starting to shoot with my G1 now and I had a quick look at Silkypix and egads, what an obtuse GUI. Can anyone point me to how one does shadow recovery? I looked through the online help file but still wasn't able to find it. Highlights, yes, shadows, no. I guess I'm going to have to ante up the cash to move from CS3 to CS4 just to get ACR 5.x.

EDIT: Or, am I looking at this incorrectly and the way to do it is to simply convert to 16-bit TIFF and then do the corrections in CS3/ACR?

Cheers,
    Last edited by simonclivehughes; 9th November 2008 at 09:48.

Post Thanks / Like

Obtuse is a nice word for unorthodox.

I was happy enough to figure out the crop tool, and development. It works,but seems cumbersome

Also, I couldn't find any way to obtain the image size in inches, or even cm.

I'm afraid that I cannot easily use any features of Silkypix except for the most most basic., and conversion to tiff.

BTW even the conversion -called Development, is somewhat convoluted. U must go to another screen to set the conversion format, and then another screen to set the bit depth.

I'm sure that Silkypix is a powerful program, but for now (and while I am waiting for ACR), I think that I will use it for simple conversion, and pp in PS, or Lightroom on converted tiff images.

Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As soon as my 4/3rds adapter arrives (I'm talking with Panasonic UK regularly - but the adapter is mysteriously delayed) I will be able to conduct a wide ranging review of 4/3rds and legacy lens useability with the G1.

Until then, we just don't know for sure.

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

As soon as my 4/3rds adapter arrives (I'm talking with Panasonic UK regularly - but the adapter is mysteriously delayed) I will be able to conduct a wide ranging review of 4/3rds and legacy lens useability with the G1.

Until then, we just don't know for sure.

Kind Regards

Brian
    Brian, Same problem over here. Last word I had from Panasonic USA was that they hadn't decided yet on pricing and the adapter probably won't be available until sometime next year. I'm not that interested in using my heavy 4/3 lenses on the G1 but rather would like to use my small M mount Zeiss and CV lenses. The adapter for the M lenses should be available next month.

Regards,
    Carl

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carl, You are right about your preferences. As good the 4/3rds lenses might be, this camera cries out for those tiny fast primes!

The adapter (Japan or Novoflex) for M when available is a really worthwhile investment (even if pricey). With only 8mm difference between the M 4/3rds and the Leica M mount, it is a difficult one. But, once designed and CNC machined, it will be no problem for those who make it.

Without an adapter, you can just hold the lens on the G1's mount and try a few pics indoors. I have been pleased with what I see so-far. This is really exciting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Brian, Same problem over here. Last word I had from Panasonic USA was that they hadn't decided yet on pricing and the adapter probably won't be available until sometime next year. I'm not that interested in using my heavy 4/3 lenses on the G1 but rather would like to use my small M mount Zeiss and CV lenses. The adapter for the M lenses should be available next month.

Regards,
    Carl
    Hi Carl,

I'm sure that's not the case - my order was accepted for the 4/3rds adapter and Panasonic UK said delivery would begin late November - I'm trying to get one for our review over the next few days.

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Carl,

I'm sure that's not the case - my order was accepted for the 4/3rds adapter and Panasonic UK said delivery would begin late November - I'm trying to get one for our review over the next few days.

Kind Regards

Brian
    Brian, Not unusual I guess, but the accessory supply line seems to be lagging the cameras in the USA. I can't even get a spare battery from Panasonic until late December. Hope you get the adapter soon and I'll look forward to your review.

Regards,
    Carl

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stephen Gandy sent me an email to the effect that he expects to have the the Leica M to micro 4/3 adapters in stock in January.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Campbell View Post
    Stephen Gandy sent me an email to the effect that he expects to have the the Leica M to micro 4/3 adapters in stock in January.
    Yes, he told me late December so not far off. Did he give you a price for the converter?

Regards,
    Carl

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review of the G1 "kit lens" at SLRgear.com.

First, really complete test of the lens that I have seen.

Some minor niggles, but overall a quite favorable test.

The review suspects that Panasonic might be doing some chromatic aberration, and distortion correction post capture.

Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Campbell View Post
    Thanks! Will you have to buy an adapter for each lens to be used like SM? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jamriman View Post
    Thanks! Will you have to buy an adapter for each lens to be used like SM? Thanks
    Why? There are no finder frames to be keyed in by the proper adapter (and no coding either, afaik).

Iīm eagerly awaiting an adapter for M, but even more one for R. Has anyone tried a m4/3 to 4/3 adapter plus a 4/3 to R one on that? A bit clumsy, but if itīs all we get....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Per, If you are going for an M4/3 to M adapter, get an M to R adapter.

My own M adapter will be ready soon (final touches). I can use Nikon lenses on any M bodies via adapters. I have one 50/2 Summicron-R that I converted to Nikon F mount (works superbly on Nikon DSLRs). When I try that on the G1, I will let you know how that goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello everyone,

my 4/3rds adapter arrived yesterday - and works superbly well with my Hexanon prime lenses - when the M adapter arrives, if you have any of those lovely Leica M lenses then I would strongly recommend you take a look at the G1.

Of course, the Olympus m4/3rds offering will be with us in a few months and may well offer in-body stabilisation, but for now... then G1 is the best option available imho.

The EVF assisted manual focusing is superb.

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Why? There are no finder frames to be keyed in by the proper adapter (and no coding either, afaik).

Iīm eagerly awaiting an adapter for M, but even more one for R. Has anyone tried a m4/3 to 4/3 adapter plus a 4/3 to R one on that? A bit clumsy, but if itīs all we get....
    See posts by Jonas B in this thread:
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=30014868

Post Thanks / Like

See posts by Jonas B in this thread:
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=30014868
    I saw the pic of the G1 with a 90mm lens. Is that an R or M lens. It's not clear to me in the post. Thanks
    Last edited by jamriman; 19th November 2008 at 09:47.